PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd anniversary went by without a thought

JenniferG
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Yesterday was my 2nd anniversary and I completely forgot about it. So different from my first, when I was quite emotional about it. An email overnight reminded me.

My surgeon discharged me a year ago and I have been just getting on with life, building my little online business, spending lots of time with my granddaughters, walking, swimming, kayaking, gardening, just doing normal things as though I never had scoliosis. How lucky I feel, that I even forgot my anniversary. I thought that date was burned into my soul for life.

mgs
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Happy 2nd Anniv!!! I SOOOO get what you're saying, and I'm so glad that yesterday was a regular day. Thanks for staying with the forum. It's recoveries like yours, and posts like this, that give hope and inspiration to those of us who are not as far along in our journeys.

I think you should celebrate extra big: celebrate the anniversary AND celebrate that you were able to let the date pass unnoticed!
(In the US, it's still March 3)

jrnyc
03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
congratulations, Jen! that is the BEST!!

jess

BendyBill
03-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Woohoo! Huge congratulations. B

JenniferG
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks mgs, I look forward to reading something similar from you in a couple of years. Hope things are continuing smoothly for you. You so deserve an easy recovery and great outcome.

Jess and Bill: Thank you!

backissues
03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary!! You are an inspiration to people like me at the beginning of the journey.

Enjoy!!

Irene

golfnut
03-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Jennifer,
Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary. You have been so encouraging to me and others when we were nervously preparing for surgery. It helped me to know that you were also fused T4-sacrum. I so appreciate the fact that you and others who are one or more years post op continue to care enough to take time to stay involved with posting on the forum. Thanks!!

Karen

debbei
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Happy Anniversary Jen! We've been through a lot these last few years. I'm glad you're enjoying life!!

Doodles
03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Jennifer--
Congrats on the 2nd anniversary! Mine is coming soon too. You have done so well and encouraged so many on the forum! Glad you are enjoying life. Janet

JenniferG
03-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Thank you all for the kind words!

Janet, yes, you were in "the March lot!" There was quite a bunch of us that month. I look forward to your 2 year anniversary update in a few weeks. Hope everything's going well.

Irene and Karen, thank you. I received so much encouragement when I arrived on the forum, and I know how much it helped.

Thanks Debbei, you are one of the many who helped me along that road. It made all the difference to the experience.

I really think this forum is invaluable.

sarahcant
03-04-2011, 07:11 AM
How nice for you! Its great when there are happy endings being posted. I pledge to do the same when Im on the "other side" and I can encourage and help someone else who is thinking about or waiting for surgery. Keeping all in my prayers.

Sarah
waiting for surgery March 15
Dr. Errico NYU
top to bottom

jesscv
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
My 2-year anniversary is this month as well -- on the 25th! It doesn't feel nearly as weird as it did exactly a year post-op, but it'll still be a very memorable, nostalgic day. I've been a hinge ever since ;)

Congrats!

mariposateach
03-04-2011, 05:50 PM
My surgery is coming up soon - on the same day as Sarah's, March 15 - and I just love reading your post. Congratulations on a successful recovery! Is there anything you did in particular during the recovery that you think helped it go so smoothly? Thanks for the encouragement.

JenniferG
03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Jesscv, I remember you as one of "our mob!" How are you getting on these days?

Sarah and Cathy, all the very best to the March mob of 2011!

titaniumed
03-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Jen

You forgot! How could you? LOL You must be doing well...

Ed

LisaB
03-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Jennifer- Congratulations on an uneventful 2nd anniversary! You have been an inspiration and very helpful when I was heading into surgery 6 months ago. So happy you're continuing to do well!

JenniferG
03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi Ed, I thought it would never happen, but these days, my back has dropped way down on my worry-list. But every time I do think about it, I silently thank my surgeon, who, with his sometimes unconventional theories, has achieved this outcome for me.

Thanks Lisa. I'll hand on the congrats to my surgeon. How are you doing?

Cathy, I didn't answer your question. I am not sure there was anything I did personally during recovery that helped. I followed my surgeon's instructions (the only one he gave me actually!) to walk. Distance wasn't as important as often. At 6 weeks I told him I was walking every day. He then told me to do it twice a day. I feel I was very lucky in that I wasn't under any pressure to return to work because I'd already given up work due to my increasing pain prior to surgery. I treated my recovery as the first real holiday I'd ever had. I totally relaxed and capitulated on my position as "chief everything." I slept and slept, ate yummy healthy food, walked, watched tv, read books and walked some more. Apart from a period of unexplained dizziness around the time I was giving up Oxycontin, on which I'd become dependant, my recovery was a real holiday. I learned the world continues turning without me. ;)

Pre-surgery I got very fit, exercising 4-5 hours a day, which may have helped in my recovery.

asccbodypro
03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=JenniferG;117791]Yesterday was my 2nd anniversary and I completely forgot about it. So different from my first, when I was quite emotional about it. An email overnight reminded me.

Jennifer,

I am so happy for you that you had such an amazing outcome with your surgery! I am hoping that someday I will be where you are at this time. I am coming up on my second year anniversary and it's so hard to believe that time has passed so quickly when post op it seemed it would never fly by! I am am going to stay positive and my goal is that someday I to will be pain free. It may just take one more surgery to get there, but I will! Slow and steady wins the race right??!?!? Enjoy all your new found activities :O)

jesscv
03-07-2011, 04:40 PM
i'm doing awesome! finally went snowboarding again this year, and i became certified in pilates recently...teaching a lot of folks with back issues! it has been fun.

LynnMarie74
03-07-2011, 04:57 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!! Didnt it go back FAST!?! I almost forgot about mine as well!!! Hope all is well!!!

hugs!!

Lynn :D

JenniferG
03-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Hi Susan. Wishing you the very best if you require another surgery. You have a great attitude and I agree, you will get there in the end. Thanks for the good wishes.

Jesscv. You really ARE doing awesome! Congratulations, keep up the great work!

Lynn. I have been wondering how you've been getting on. Sounds like you're just fine. Nice to hear from you!

gmw
03-11-2011, 05:58 PM
That's wonderful Jennifer!:) You have been an inspiration to many, including me!!

Glenda

JenniferG
03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Glenda, thank you. How are you doing after your A/P surgery last year?

Vali
03-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Congratulations Jen. That's absolutely great news to read. Everytime I read about you kayaking etc, I imagine how happy you must be, having made excellent progress on your journey. May you continue to enjoy good health.

JenniferG
03-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi Vali, lovely to hear from you. This thread has brought out a few from "our" generation of surgeries. :D How are you doing? Great I hope, and getting on with your busy life?

Oh yes, very happy, in fact there needs to be a new word for extreme gratitude, because that's how I feel and gratitude doesn't quite cut it.

mbeckoff
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
I am so very happy for you and I hope that someday I can feel the same way. I would love to be pain free.

Melissa

JenniferG
03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I hope you get the help you need Melissa and that dream becomes a reality in the not too distant future. I can't even imagine what you're going through with severe pain all the time. I'm so very sorry. Don't give up. Keep working on that resolution. A new doctor who can help is what I'm hoping for, for you.

LynnMarie74
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Happy Belated Anniversary to you!!!! :) Time flies when you have a straight spine, doesnt it? Hoping all is well with you....

hugs!!

Lynn

LynnMarie74
04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Hey Jennifer G! Im doing wonderfully, thanks for asking!! I have been a stranger on here....I know. I am not as bored at work like I used to be, so now I actually have to work instead of playing on line! :D Hope all is well with you!!!

JenniferG
04-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Glad to hear it Lynn! Take care and pop inn occasionally, won't you?!

karena
05-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Jennifer
Lucky!! Great news and an inspiration to others!

JenniferG
05-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Hi Karena,

Thank you. I do feel very lucky.

mgs
05-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Jennifer. . .I FINALLY can now begin to appreciate the beautiful significance of having the anniversary date pass by, and be a date on the calendar that is now - pretty much -just as that date was "before".
This Aug 25 will be my 2nd anniv since my first surgery. . .and I already know how I'm going to "celebrate" it.
Aug 25 is my late grandmother's birthday - she died in 1976, at the age of 86. She was this tiny little lady, who immigrated from Croatia in 1920, and never learned much English (almost right after she got off the boat, she married the man who her brother had set her up with - a man who had arrived from Croatia 8 years earlier, and they settled in an ethnic neighborhood, so most of the housewives of that time and place never had the need nor the opportunity to cultivate their English). Since I didn't understand Croatian, most of our communication was through food - that's how she showed her love.
Every Aug 25, for the last many years, I made sarma (stuffed cabbage). . .like I remember her making. . . to mark her birthday. When Dr. Tribus' office person and I picked my surgery date, the 1st thing I thought was, "I won't be able to make sarma". Last Aug 25 (1st surgery anniv), I wasn't up to such a long cooking project. NOW, I'm feeling more and more like my old self, and I think that I can swing it.
SOOOO, I'll celebrate my 2nd anniv by giving the date back to "celebrating Grandma's [122nd] birthday".

JenniferG
05-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Mgs, that's a lovely story. I am so happy to read that you are finally getting the recovery you deserved from the start. By August 25 you will be even fitter. You will enjoy making sarma and spending the day feeling happy, pain-free and grateful. My first anniversary was like that, quite emotional with the feelings of gratitude and unbelievable luck. I hope you'll keep giving us updates Mgs because yours has been one of the difficult journeys and it's so nice to read of good outcomes in these cases. I'm hoping Melissa (and others who've walked your road) will have plenty to celebrate on her anniversary next year too.