Question for people who had surgery at HSS in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for people who had surgery at HSS in NYC

I am scheduled to have my surgery at HSS in NYC on June 7th. I plan on having my sister stay with me at night, as many people suggested here. I was very surprised to find out, in order to have a private room, there is an extra charge of $875-975 a night! I asked if someone could stay with me in a semi-private room, and was told no. Did anyone have someone stay with them over night? Are they lenient with the rules? I assume they do not provide any reclining type chairs either? I am surprised, at a hospital of this caliber, that they are not more patient friendly!!
    Last edited by Lorz; 03-03-2011, 03:20 PM.
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Hss

I had my surgery three months ago, December 7th. I had a semi-private room and only two nights someone was in the other bed - I was lucky. NO they did not allow anyone to stay overnight and there was not a recliner in my room. Not sure how it is with private. Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I did not have a private room and family was not allowed to stay with me overnight. They were very strict with the rules. The best thing I did was book a private nurse for the overnight hours. I HIGHLY recommend this, because, like most hospitals these days, there were not enough nurses on the floor and they were all crazy busy. You can book the night nurse before your surgery, through the scheduling person (Lindy). My insurance paid for some of it but I don't care if it would have taken the rest of my life to pay for it -- it was worth every penny.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Lynn and Chris

Thank you for your replies. I was hoping to avoid the expense of a private duty nurse, since my sister is a nurse, but it looks like that is not going to happen. I just hope they are a little flexible with visiitng hours!
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Hi Lorz-

I was just thinking about you the other day!! So good to see you on here!

I did not have a private duty nurse. They would not let my husband sleep over. THere was someone in the other bed in my room the entire time. They did enfore the time that guests had to leave. I remember them coming in and telling me my husband had to leave. Maybe out of curtesy for the other patient??

I can't believe your surgery is coming up so soon! How exciting, the day before my 1 year anniversary! I will be thinking of you and I hope we can catch up soon!

Keep in touch!

JenM
          Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
          Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
          Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
          Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
          31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Also, I would say you also need a private duty overnight nurse at Hss. The nurses get very busy. There were times right after my surgery when I would call for a nurse to get my pain meds and it would take them awhile to come to me. One time they even forgot to come back on the fourth hour to give me my meds, and I was sleeping so when I woke up I was in ALOT of pain. If I were to do it again, I would def. get a private duty nurse, no matter how much it cost!!
            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Hi Jen!

Great to hear from you! I think of you often too. I hope you are feeling much better by now. It is looking like a private duty nurse is the way to go. Where did your husband stay in the city, the Belaire Guest House? I made reservations there for my sister, and was shiocked at the rates! Nothing is cheap in NYC. I hope we can talk soon. Take Care, Lori
              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
              T54/L72
              Gained 2 inches!
              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Hi,
                I was at a different hospital in NY, but we paid for a private nurse to stay with me at night. It was invaluable, and (heaven forbid) if I had to do it again, I would definitely do the same. I also had a private room, which helped as well so that I didn't have to listen to anyone else, and I didn't bother anyone else either.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Private duty nurses

I also used a private duty nurse at HSS--the whole time I was out of the step-down unit.
                  An RN is most expensive; a practical nurse is cheaper and an aide is the cheapest.

As a matter of fact I've had other surgeries-not scoliosis related- when I also hired a private duty nurse. Well worth the expense and cheaper than a private room.

I suspect family is not allowed at HSS after hours for privacy and infection concerns.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                  X