Six Month Post Op Checkup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Month Post Op Checkup

Hi all. I've been busy and haven't been on for awhile but I got back this evening from St Louis after having my 6 month check up. The X-rays looked good and everything seems to be holding well and it looks like I'm fusing. After meeting with Dr Bridwell I met with Janet, the physical therapist, and she went over exercises I can now start doing other than my 3 mile walks. (yeah!) Everything seems to be going as planned and Golfnut..... If you're reading this... I can now (as soon as the weather improves) start chipping and putting as long as I stand up straight. (Dr B said that I may need to get a longer putter) and I can't use anything longer than a 7 iron right now. I should be able to do a full swing after a year. (Aug 31) I had a very nice dinner last night with 2 of Dr Bridwell's patients; one is a lady I met through this forum and she is having surgery tomorrow, and the other lady had surgery 8 years ago and is still doing great! So it was a very positive 2 days in St Louis!
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

wow! what a great post! glad you're doing so well and are able to start getting back to things you love doing. It's so encouraging to me being only 9 weeks post-op to see how much better it gets down the road. Hope you continue to have great success!
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great, Lisa! Glad to hear it is continuing to go well.

My St. Louis appointment got moved up to March 16th. I'll let you know how it goes.

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Lisa,
        I am glad you got such a good report! I am hoping to chip and putt by June or July. Meanwhile, I am walking several holes while my friends play.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Evelyn,
          I also will be seeing Dr. Lenke on the 16th. My appointment was just changed to 7:00am. When is your appointment? I'd love to meet you.
          Karen
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Peachrush7 - thanks! Sounds like you're doing well for only 9 weeks out. Hang in there! It gets better all the time and it's good to know that you can get back to normal eventually.

Evelyn- let's get Kristie and get together for lunch after your appointment!

Karen - Keep walking! It helps!
            Age 56
            Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
            Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
            Thoracic 68
            Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
            Dr Bridwell St Louis
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
              Peachrush7 - thanks! Sounds like you're doing well for only 9 weeks out. Hang in there! It gets better all the time and it's good to know that you can get back to normal eventually.

Evelyn- let's get Kristie and get together for lunch after your appointment!

Karen - Keep walking! It helps!
              Lisa
              So glad you are doing so well! I'm glad you can slowly get back to your golf game ;-)
              Evelyn, good luck at your appt on the 16th, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
              X