Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bmp for spine fusion, possible cancer correlation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmp for spine fusion, possible cancer correlation!

My brother, who is a physician assistant, just sent me this article on BMP. Has anybody else have any information about BMP?

http://www.medpagetoday.com/surgery/orthopedics/21908

rich

I spent some time looking at the BMP stuff (my son hasn't had spinal surgery yet, but he did get BMP for jaw surgery recently). I saw the concerns raised about cancer, but I haven't seen any studies to support that. Here's a pretty detailed look at the studies they've done so far - http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/may08/research7.asp

Most of the other complications are off-label use, particularly BMPs use in the cervical spine, which can cause serious problems. They didn't specify the exact use in the article for the cases where there was bony growth in the spinal column, but they did note that was off-label use as well.

The only thing I saw in researching it that did concern me (although not for my son) is that apparently it's use in teenagers and women who might become pregnant is also off-label. Maybe that's old information.

The cozy relationship between the device people and the medical people, though, is very troubling. It makes it that much harder to figure out what's really going on. That said, BMP is widely used by lots and lots of surgeons, and the majority aren't benefiting from it financially. I trust people like Lenke and my son's jaw surgeon to make sense of the materials that they're using. And for adults in pain, the idea of living a life in pain has to beat out the possible risk of cancer. But it would seem to be another caution flag for adults who aren't in pain or progressing to maybe hold off surgery until it's really necessary.
    Last edited by hdugger; 02-28-2011, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Well, I'm loaded up with BMP. I completely trust Dr Bridwell and just can't believe he would be using BMP if there was any meaningful research showing that it is unsafe.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Rich,

Thank you for the information. My surgeon plans on using BMP for my surgery in June, and I do have a history of cancer, so this was especially of interest to me. I will print the article, and show it to my Dr.
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Lori- It will be interesting to hear what Dr Boachie says. Let me know.
          Age 56
          Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
          Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
          Thoracic 68
          Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
          Dr Bridwell St Louis
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

rich my surgeon has a big insterts in BMPs in spinal fusions
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

Lisa- I won't be seeing him again until May, but I will definitely post what he says about it. Lori
              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
              T54/L72
              Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
              Gained 2 inches!
              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
              12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
              X