Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Travel with Child in Brace: What to Expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Travel with Child in Brace: What to Expect?

Hello all,

We're flying to Philadelphia in about a month! Excited to visit friends and family as well as meeting the fine physicians at Shriners!

I wonder what to expect as my daughter wears her brace and goes through security. Would it be best for her to wear it or for us to carry it? I don't want her to have to have a "pat down" for goodness sake!!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
    currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
    11/10 TLSO Full Time
    4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
    12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
    VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
    10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

we always had G take it off in the security line, put it through the x-ray, and then put it back on on the other side. I don't know if that was necessary, but it was easy and what we always did.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

We flew several times with Leah's brace and we chose to carry it in a carry-on, to avoid any potential hassle or delay through security.

I also wanted to mention, make sure to have your daughter out of her brace for an adequate length of time (24-48 hours) before your Philly appointment, so if they do x-rays they can measure an accurate out of brace measurement. You can always e-mail Janet Cerrone to ask her about this if you are unsure.

Good luck. I know you will gain a lot of info about your daughter's scoliosis during your visit to Philly.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Resilience,

My daughter wears a nighttime brace, so she's not in exactly the same situation as you...but I insist on packing her brace in a carry-on and taking it in the cabin with us so nothing happens to it. The nighttime braces are bigger and bulkier than other types and so I've had to put the brace in a garment bag. The resulting shape is a laugh. I just place the bag on the x-ray screening conveyor, the brace is x-rayed and security immediately opens up the bag and checks inside. They then zip the garment back up and we pass through. No problem. No questions have been asked.

I have to say if my daughter was wearing a full-time brace, I would just have her not wear it for the duration of the flight and carry it on board with me in a carry-on and have her put it back on after the flight just to avoid any potential hassle. You never know...you might get some dufus who may think plastic explosives are strapped to her, lol! Although, you'd hope they had been trained.

If you're concerned with having her out of the brace, perhaps you could call the airline and see how they handle people wearing braces, I'm sure it's not an uncommon occurrence.

Good luck with your trip! Make sure you ask about the effectiveness of vertebral stapling on double major curves and be satisfied with any answers you receive before making any decisions.

Comment

Thanks Ladies!

That's what we'll do: check it through in our carry on and put it back on on the other side.

I have a list of questions going for VBS so I'll make sure those are on the list! I have already touched base with Janet re time out of brace pre OOB X Ray and are planning on 24 hours. This will be her first OOB X Ray so I'm nervous about the unknown readings yet looking forward to the visit.

I'll keep you all posted.
          Resilience

11/10 TLSO Full Time

Comment

Hi Resilience,

Good luck on your trip to Philly. I'm sure you will get all of your questions answered, and then some :-)

By the way, what date is your appointment? David has a checkup in about a month as well (3/29) so I was just curious - it wouldn't be the first time I met another parent there and I would love to meet you.
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Oh, our appt is one week later on April 5th! Would have been nice if it were the same day! We'll be in Phila for 10 days, making a vacation out of it and looking forward to visiting friends and family too. Thanks for all of your support and guidance! I'll keep you posted.
              Resilience

11/10 TLSO Full Time

Comment

Working...
              X