Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport security

Hi All,

I know in the past I've seen numerous posts on airport security and fusions, but I don't think there has been an active thread since the latest security with the full body scanners vs. pat downs. I'll be taking a trip in the next few months, and want to know what to expect. If I agree to the full body scan (which I have no problem with), and they see all my 'internal equipment', will I still need to be patted down (which I do have a problem with) ? That kind of freaks me out.

Thanks!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Hi...

I suspect that you will be patted down. I flew to Dallas in January. I was scanned both ways, and got patted down as well.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think it depends on the airport. My friend has had a hip and knee replacement and flew recently. she was patted down in Atlanta but only had to go through the scanner in Pittsburg
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

We were just told at our follow up with the orthopedic that there is actually a study going on now as to whether the hardware will set off alarms.
        Angie Romero, Mom to Alex, Dominic & Marissa.
        Alex was fused from T2-L2 at the age of 12 on Dec 22, 2010
        By Dr. Hanson at Texas Children's Hospital

Comment

I think I can help with the study--YES, it does! I haven't flown since the new stuff but early last year & in the summer bells were ringing. I thought those pat downs were a bit much. They did the same to my 85 year old mother who could barely stand upright for it. Even building security I set off. They asked me if I wore a lot of bling. All my bling is inner! Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I have gone through metal detectors at various places, including our county courthouse, and never set them off, which kind of amazed me.

However, I'm just thinking that if they put me through one of those whole body scanners at the airport and see all my hardware, they'll want to pat me down to make sure I'm not trying to hide anything else. That's what bothers me but oh well what can I do?

Comment

Ask to be patted down by the cutest guy there......
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I've been through Dulles airport in DC and Tampa airport in Florida and went right through the scanner with no problem. To be honest I was a little disappointed that no alarms went off! :-)

Nitram
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

I have flown three times since my surgery. On the first two trips, security sent me through the metal detector and I did not set it off (even at Reagan National in DC). However, on my last trip to St. Louis, they asked me if I had in metal in my body. When I said, "yes", they put me through the body scanner (must be a digital x-ray machine). After the body scanner, I also got a "pat down".

I wonder if they only asked me the question about metal in my body because I had a wheelchair assist (I was traveling alone and needed help getting through security.) On my next trip without the wheelchair assist, I'll find out if that is a routine question now or if that is just something they ask their wheelchair passengers.

I personally don't like the body scan because it is another x-ray on top of the ba-zillion x-rays we've had in our lifetimes!
                  Kathy
                  46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                  71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                  8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                  http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Any kind of medical implant of any sort will show up on the new full body scanners. You'll be patted down.

I have my own issues with current TSA regulations, so I no longer fly. I believe the current measures are a violation of my 4th amendment rights. But that's a discussion for another board.

Comment

If you are going to be patted down after the scanner, shouldn't you just ask to be patted down? That scares the you know what out of me. I would rather take the x-ray, but it sounds like they will pat you down anyway.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I agree with you Sally.

It's like we get the cake and eat it too, but all in a bad way!

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          If you are going to be patted down after the scanner, shouldn't you just ask to be patted down? That scares the you know what out of me. I would rather take the x-ray, but it sounds like they will pat you down anyway.
                          Sally
                          If you are prepared for what the pat down will be like. I cannot imagine what I'd encounter having them feel my scar tissue - which ends past my tail bone (aka, in my butt crack. Sorry for being crass.).

Comment

If we are going to have to be patted down, and there was some way to incorporate massage into it, they could kill 2 birds with one stone......

When that show bomber showed up, he made the whole world take their shoes off.
                            It’s a good thing he didn’t have exploding underwear.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              If we are going to have to be patted down, and there was some way to incorporate massage into it, they could kill 2 birds with one stone......

When that show bomber showed up, he made the whole world take their shoes off.
                              It’s a good thing he didn’t have exploding underwear.

Ed
                              LOL! Good one.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X