Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions

Hey everyone!

I'm 8 weeks post op and doing very well. I have two random questions for you.

1. when did you start driving post-op, and were you completely off your meds? I am only taking hydrocodone 1 every 6 hours, but I am not sure if it's a good idea to be driving while taking it. The problem is if I wait, I won't be able to drive for another few months, I don't think I'm quite ready to get off all meds altogether. I have a lot of residual nerve pain that will take some time to heal (judging from my previous surgeries). I don't need to drive very much, but it would be nice to be able to run to the grocery store 5 mins down the road for basic necessities at this point. Anyway, just looking for advice.

2. when is it okay to stop doing the "log roll" to get out of bed? I've accidentally caught myself a few times sitting up the normal way and it didn't hurt. But I don't want to do it before I should. I know that's a weird question but I just figured I'd ask the experts lol

Thanks so much for all your kind words and support! You all have been an encouragement to me through this journey, and I appreciate you all SO much!
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Peach

When I asked my surgeon that question about driving he responded with “Don’t drive on meds”. He was pretty blunt about it, there was no discussing the matter.

I was battling constipation, and figured that it just wasn’t worth it anymore. I had built up such an immunity and the pain was still there, so I quit. After I quit, and started jamming nutrients, I improved quickly. Yes, the pain increased, but after 2 days it dropped pretty fast. That was at 6 weeks. I also felt that I wanted to purge all the toxins from my system and drank many glasses of water each day.

My first time sitting up out of bed was around 9 months. It just happened, and was a positive event. I had no idea that I could even do that again! If you have done that at 8 weeks, it sounds like you are doing well. I wouldn’t make a habit of sitting up, and it would probably be best to still take it easy and continue to log roll since it exerts less force. Healing happens quickly in the first 8 weeks, but many books will say that it takes a full year for a full healing to occur.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I didn't drive until 3 months. I had been off my meds for a few weeks but had unexplained dizziness, otherwise I might have driven sooner.

My surgeon wasn't big on log rolling. I only did it once that I can remember. He had a bar affixed to the right side of my hospital bed and I pulled myself up using my right arm. (He had the overhead bar taken down so I couldn't use it.) Once home I used the bed-side chest for leverage. I didn't have any trouble getting in or out of bed.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I drove short distances on meds but I wouldn't do it again. I didn't realize how much they affected me until I got off of them and saw the difference in my level of alertness and my reaction time.

I still log roll in and out of bed because I want to protect the fusion and reduce the wear and tear on the unfused portion of my back for as long as I can. It's second-nature now; I don't even think about it anymore. I was told by Boachie and my physical therapist that it was really important to maintain good biomechanics for the rest of my life.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I have driven short distances at 6 weeks post op, however, I have not taken pain meds. In 2 weeks. The constipation and hemorrhoids were worse than any back pain I've had. I probably will log roll thevrest of my life. It doesn't bother me, so I figure it protects the back more than just sitting up.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Why would sitting up be bad for your back though? Isn't sitting up a good use of your abdominal muscles?

I started sitting up around 8 weeks, too. I'm about 5 months post op now and really noticing how weak my muscles are, particular my abs. So, I would imagine sitting up is another way to help get them back in working order.

Comment

Well, since I'm fused to the sacrum, maybe it wouldn't make any difference if I sat up the normal way when I am several months post op. I will ask. I have wondered what kind of ab exercises I will eventually be allowed to do.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I need to try this again. I still log roll--it's all I know. I don't think I can do it the other way. Once I tried to remember how I used to get into bed & I couldn't figure it out. But I don't think I could just sit up. Maybe I should start--maybe that's where I left my abs. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

thanks for all the replies!

as far as driving goes, I think I'm going to set a goal to be off the hydrocodone by the end of march. my back pain is so minimal, i am only taking the hydrocodone for the severe nerve pain that is from my disc that herniated 4 years ago. I've had surgery 4 times in 4 years, and so that poor nerve has never gotten a chance to truly heal. my dr was very stern about me walking as much as possible, and his view is if i need the meds to keep moving, then take them. i am not constipated at all, i eat a ton of fiber to balance out the side effects. i couldn't handle the oxycodone though, man that was horrible! i'd rather be off the meds at least during the day if i'm going to drive any where, so i'm glad i asked. now i have a goal! no meds = driving! =)

i don't mind log rolling, i don't have a hard time getting in or out of bed. i just have woken up and sat up before i really realized what i was doing and then i freaked out because i didn't know i would ever be able to move like that again, and i was scared i was going to mess something up! i'm going to keep log rolling for a while, but it's good to know sitting up occasionally the old way won't kill me!
                  Rebecca
                  Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                  wore night bending brace as teenager
                  Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                  herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                  fusion L2-3 November 2008
                  Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                  Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                  Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                  gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                  Before and After X-rays
                  My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JamieAnn View Post
                    Why would sitting up be bad for your back though? Isn't sitting up a good use of your abdominal muscles?

I started sitting up around 8 weeks, too. I'm about 5 months post op now and really noticing how weak my muscles are, particular my abs. So, I would imagine sitting up is another way to help get them back in working order.

I think because you are not fused at that point, and it's putting pressure on the spine.

I log rolled for at least one full year, because it felt most comfortable. Just sitting up before I was fully fused, I felt that 'broken bone' pain in my spine.

I get up normally now.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

In a similar vein to the logrolling question, how long did you continue to get into your car in a modified way...e.g. back up to the car seat, sit down, swing your feet and your body around at the same time to be forward facing.
                      Kathy
                      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Peach,

I still get in my car the way you described at 5 months postop. I have a sports car and it isn't easy! I have always loved to drive but since the surgery it has become a little stressful since I can't twist and turn like I used to and I get so nervous when I make lane changes or back out in parking lots. My surgeon suggested laying a garbage bag on the seat which makes it easier to twist at the hips.

As for the logrolling, I still do that because I'm afraid to put too much stress on my lower back.

My surgeon also just said NO VACUUMING. Oooops, now I know...glad that I didn't hurt myself. Sigh, I feel so useless sometimes!
                        Laurie
                        Age 57
                        Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                        Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                        Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                        Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                        Dr Munish Gupta
                        UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by KathK View Post
                          In a similar vein to the logrolling question, how long did you continue to get into your car in a modified way...e.g. back up to the car seat, sit down, swing your feet and your body around at the same time to be forward facing.
                          I still do this and probably always will...similarly when I sit myself at a booth in a restaurant. I still logroll too, it just feels better on my back, less pulling on the muscles. I am very protective after 2 surgeries...
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hi Peachrush! To answer your questions, I took narcotic-based meds for the better part of 3 months, then I took ibuprofin and/or acetominiphen for another month or two after that.

I started driving again about 3 months post op, I believe. I probably could have started sooner, but I left for my freshman year of college at 5 weeks post op & didn't have access to a car until I came home for fall break, so my timing is as much a matter of circumstance as of recovery.

Comment

I am almost 100% positive I was told by both my surgeon and my physical therapist that I should log roll indefinitely... it is automatic now, so I don't even think about. My only problem comes if I'm on the "wrong" side of the bed! But I usually just call "dibs" if we're in a hotel or something, saying I need "my side"! Ha ha. Depending on what kind of car (or booth in a restaurant) I'm getting into, I sometimes need to sit and then swivel around. I'm approaching 4 years... but I've got my two lower lumbars that are in jeopardy to protect, as well as the whole shebang (T2-L4) that already got fused. No point in messing around.
                              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                              X