Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am thinking I am looking at flatback syndrome and saggital imbalance-----again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking I am looking at flatback syndrome and saggital imbalance-----again!!!

Starting last July I had surgery to correct scoliosis caused by a previously done back surgery on my lower back.(rods and screws from pelvic to T8) Then three months later I was back in the hospital looking at surgery again to correct saggital imbalance and flatback. And I thought all was good till 4mo. out(now). I am scared to death. I am 58 yrs. old(fem.) And I just don't know if I can take another surgery. I don't know why this happened. I have two surgeons. The main one I can't get hold of and he has never seen me since my last surgery. I get the nasty nurse all the time, telling me he's out of town. He swore this would not happen. He has me fused from pelvic to T2. and osteotomy at L3. The other surgeon doesn't specialize in spinal deformities. Anyway, what would cause me to be pitching forward again and why was it alright at first? I am thinking of going somplace else. Has anyone had this happen more than once? I live in So. Dak. and I am 200 mi. from any big facilities. I went the 200 mi. with both these surgeries. But maybe need to go farther. I am a 58 yr. old female. And am very depressed about this. Got so much to live for. And want to be able to walk. Maybe I just need to vent. Thanks for being here. boomer
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Would it be too far to go to Twin Cities Spine Center for an evaluation? I hope you feel better.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

No medical help but I would let Nasty Nurse know that you need a call back from that surgeon within 24 hours or they'll be hearing from your malpractice attorney. Flatback is usually caused by poor surgical procedure, which in this day and age should never happen. Lawyer up.
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I agree with rohrer! That would be my suggestion. I've heard some very good things about them. Fierce is going there now too and she's experienced several problems to say the least. I'm so sorry about this--no wonder you're depressed. I'd make an appt. with a different doctor ASAP! Good luck. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Is the surgeon who did your revision surgery a scoli surgeon who has revision experience? That's one of the things that I notice Linda has stressed. If not, I agree w/rohrer and Doodles. I wonder why you would have been seemingly fine for the 1st 4 mos? Also, maybe the surgeon should have done more than 1 osteotomy? Hopefully, you'll get some good answers soon. Please keep us filled in on what you decide to do. Part of my surgery tomorrow will be an osteotomy to correct my sagittal imbalance. I'm not too far from the plumb line, but as the day wears on, I pitch forward further. I think mine will be at L-3, also.
          You didn't mention any post-op brace. I remember that naptown had to wear one (for 9 mos, I think) after her revision surgery for sagittal imbalance. My doc hasn't mentioned anything about a brace. I guess it's another "difference in surgeons". . .but I wonder if a brace might help you, even now.

BB16, you're a good person to ask this: The 1st time I stand up (probably Wed), will I be able to tell that I have the small of my back (and my rear end!) back, right away?
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

revision

Hi, Babyboomer16, I had surgery in 2002, all was good untill last year, I have saggital imbalance, and can't stand upright without holding on, the Dr. who did my surgery does not do revision, and he told me to go to Johns Hopkins (Dr. Kebaish), not that the first surgery was not right,(my rods are fine), now I need fusion lower, I was never bent over years ago, now I am. I am going to have surgery in May if all goes well. (I have had 3 surgery so far,and sure hope this is the last). good luck Lu

Comment

May!!??!!!!! OMG, that's a long wait. Are you/do you want to be on a wait list in case there is a cancellation?
              I saw the dr last Mon, he told me what surgery I need, then the clerical person came in to schedule the surgery and started with, "He's booked out till sometime in April. . .unless. . ."and she flipped some pages back, and he had 1 slot for Feb 22 - someone had cancelled and, on such short notice, that slot wouldn't have been useful to most people. But, I didn't need an internist's exam or an EKG, and I didn't need to make any special plans re: work or family, so I GRABBED IT! Maybe such good luck with scheduling could happen for you?
              Sagittal imbalance, even when minimal, is tough to live with. You have my best wishes, Lue.
              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Hi, mgs, I was ready to go in April, but Dr. is out of the country until May, and I did not want to travel 2 hrs. in maybe bad weather. and you are right it is not easy, and just as well my sister who lives with me broke her ankle in Dec, and I need her well, Lu

Comment

I'm so sorry this happened again to you. I wouldn't let those guys touch me again. I think it's time to bring in the big guns.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi boomer and Lue. I can't help with any advice though I agree with others here, but I just want to send you both a cyber hug because I just hate to hear these stories. Please keep in touch and let the forum know your outcomes. This is so important for us all.

Mgs All the very best for tomorrow, I will be thinking of you and wishing you great success!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
                      Is the surgeon who did your revision surgery a scoli surgeon who has revision experience? That's one of the things that I notice Linda has stressed. If not, I agree w/rohrer and Doodles. I wonder why you would have been seemingly fine for the 1st 4 mos? Also, maybe the surgeon should have done more than 1 osteotomy? Hopefully, you'll get some good answers soon. Please keep us filled in on what you decide to do. Part of my surgery tomorrow will be an osteotomy to correct my sagittal imbalance. I'm not too far from the plumb line, but as the day wears on, I pitch forward further. I think mine will be at L-3, also.
                      You didn't mention any post-op brace. I remember that naptown had to wear one (for 9 mos, I think) after her revision surgery for sagittal imbalance. My doc hasn't mentioned anything about a brace. I guess it's another "difference in surgeons". . .but I wonder if a brace might help you, even now.

BB16, you're a good person to ask this: The 1st time I stand up (probably Wed), will I be able to tell that I have the small of my back (and my rear end!) back, right away?
                      I knew right away things were better. I felt so much better, even with the surgery pain. So I don't know what went wrong. ALSO-the screws that are in my pelvic bone are pushing out straight through my skin.(hasn't broke the skin yet) Very uncomfortable, to say the least. Has anyone had this happen. It was that way from the beginning-but not this bad. mgs, I wore a brase for 3 months. Hope all goes well!
                      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                      This started adult onset scoliosis
                      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                      May 30th 2013 revision
                      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
                      X