osteotomy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osteotomy question

My surgeon will do an osteotomy during my fusion surgery. . .does that make the fusion surgery substantially more painful, post-op? I'm wondering if I should expect a post -op experience about like last time (although this time, I'm having 3 levels fused, and last time it was 12). . .or will there be an extra, particularly stabbing pain at the osteotomy site (similar to the pain at the point where some fused bone broke in 2)?

Fusion, been there. Osteotomy. . .new to me, so that's the part that has me a tad anxious.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

It's hard to say whether osteotomies cause more pain. I had several though not sure of the number. Initially my pain wasn't too bad, but at some point, just as I was expecting to go home, my pain seemed to get out of control and I needed morphine injections at least once a day. The oral meds just didn't cut it for me. They were always late which didn't help. But from the day I walked back into my home, the pain suddenly dropped off. I'm thinking it must have been psychological?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I had at least 3, and as far as I can tell they didn't make my recovery any worse. I have had 2 seperate fusion surgeries and I cant tell a difference in the pain between fusion vs' oseotomies. I obviously felt worse in general, but the pain wasn't different, just more of it because I had a full fusion this time.
      Rebecca
      Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
      wore night bending brace as teenager
      Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
      herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
      fusion L2-3 November 2008
      Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
      Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
      Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
      gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
      Before and After X-rays
      My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
        My surgeon will do an osteotomy during my fusion surgery. . .does that make the fusion surgery substantially more painful, post-op? I'm wondering if I should expect a post -op experience about like last time (although this time, I'm having 3 levels fused, and last time it was 12). . .or will there be an extra, particularly stabbing pain at the osteotomy site (similar to the pain at the point where some fused bone broke in 2)?

Fusion, been there. Osteotomy. . .new to me, so that's the part that has me a tad anxious.
        How long after your fusion did some of the fused bone break in 2? At what vertebrae level did this occur? Did you hear any popping or feel any immediate pain? What was the pain like? I am just asking because I am 10 weeks post op and two weeks ago I twisted in bed and heard a pop. It hurt a little but not a stabbing pain, however since then my sacrum on the right side is terribly painful. The only relief I can get is to lay down. I know aches and pains are normal for a while after surgery but i guess i'm concerned as the pain doesn't stop unless I'm laying down and motionless. I have a call into my surgeon but haven't heard back yet. Thanks for your thoughts!
        Laurie Anne
        Age 30
        Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
        Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
        Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
        PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
        5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
        1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

It happened about 1 month after my hardware removal surgery, which I had 14 mos after my fusion surgery. Throughout Nov, my 1st month post-op, I made steady improvement, was starting to get out some, and had decreased my pain meds. In the early days of Dec, I experienced a marked increase in pain. I didn't know what was wrong - I just attributed it to my vertebrae moving, quickly, trying to go back to where they used to be (thanks to what I now know is non-union of 3 levels). Nope. Fused bone had snapped in 2 - either at L-1/2 or L-2/3 (I forget) - I just learned this last week, on CT. I never heard any unusual sound, nor felt any sort of popping.
          Please, don't let my unusual saga cause you anxiety about what you are experiencing post-op. I'm clearly weird. My surgeon said that he's never seen a spine react like mine - and he has LOTS of experience.
          The pain of the breaking was excruciating. There was no such thing as a more comfortable position. I needed a heavy dose of oxycodone to make the pain bearable. This lasted for about a month, then it was a little better. Now, I still need pain meds, but it's not nearly as bad. I am so looking forward to surgery on Tues.

I don't mean to be a cause of distress for anyone. (Especially not someone from my hometown!!)

Laurie Anne, I hope you get some relief, and soon!
          Last edited by mgs; 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM.
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

mgs--
            I had 6 of them. I wouldn't know if they contributed more to the pain or not but I don't suppose it helps a whole lot. I have no idea where mine is but I imagine they are at the peaks of my 2 curves. It seemed to take me longer to heal in the long run than some & I'm still banking on some more improvement. I think age plays a pretty big part too. Don't know if this really helps. I think it's hard to separate out the pains! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Mgs,
              My osteotomy felt like a knee in my back. It did not make my recovery horrible or longer I don't think. But I could definitely tell (and still can) where the osteotomy is. It just feels a little more sensitive. But, I might be weird. My whole entire back is super sensitive still...Good luck on your surgery and I'm sending prayers your way that this is your LAST surgery ;-)))
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
              X