First Night Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Night Out

I am not 6 weeks post-op and very happy with my new back and my recovery. I have been so lucky to get outside the past 10 days to walk, which is enough to put anyone in a good mood with the taste of spring we are having. John (hubby) took me out to lunch several times this week as I was getting tired of the same food and same environment of our kitchen. My parents came to visit this weekend and had not seen me since before the surgery. They could not believe how straight I stand and how tall I am. Dr. Lenke said I gained 3 inches in height. We went to a popular restaurant/bar last night and I saw a lot of people who raved about how good I looked. THey might have been just flattering me, but it was still nice to hear. I know I look stiff when I walk, but I hope to eventually lose that look. Anyway, those of you waiting, it's well worth it. I always thought no one had noticed my scoliosis until the last few years when it progressed, but I saw a teacher who I taught with 20 years ago. She didn't know I'd had surgery and she said something like, "Oh, yeah, you always had that hip that protruded!" Also, I may just have been lucky, but the pain following surgery was miinimal. I stopped the pain meds. at 4 weeks and only take Colace (stool softener) and Tylenol. The stomach pains from battling constipation was worse than any surgery pain.
    Sorry-Didn't mean to ramble on. It was such a nice evening to get out last night and hear so many compliments.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

I'm lovin' your updates, Karen!! Do you think there's anything you did ahead of time that has helped your recovery go so well? (I'm wondering about exercise, diet, home prep, mess to have on hand, etc.)

Three inches is incredible!!! Did you know you had that much to gain?

Impressed,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

3 inches is incredible. You have had one of the best recoveries I've read on here. That's fantastic. I hope this all continues for you! Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

What a great "first night out" you had!
        Your recovery is unbelievable!! I'm happy for you.
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Evelyn,
          I have always been one to exercise but started an exercise diary a year before my surgery. I tried to do something at the Y or rode my bike, played golf, etc. every day.
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Your updates are great to read. I'm so glad you've had such a smooth and successful outcome because I know you were in two minds about having the surgery initially. Three inches! That's amazing. You must feel positively willowy now!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sounds like a great first night out or any night out for that matter. Glad you're doing so well!
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                I am not 6 weeks post-op and very happy with my new back and my recovery. I have been so lucky to get outside the past 10 days to walk, which is enough to put anyone in a good mood with the taste of spring we are having. John (hubby) took me out to lunch several times this week as I was getting tired of the same food and same environment of our kitchen. My parents came to visit this weekend and had not seen me since before the surgery. They could not believe how straight I stand and how tall I am. Dr. Lenke said I gained 3 inches in height. We went to a popular restaurant/bar last night and I saw a lot of people who raved about how good I looked. THey might have been just flattering me, but it was still nice to hear. I know I look stiff when I walk, but I hope to eventually lose that look. Anyway, those of you waiting, it's well worth it. I always thought no one had noticed my scoliosis until the last few years when it progressed, but I saw a teacher who I taught with 20 years ago. She didn't know I'd had surgery and she said something like, "Oh, yeah, you always had that hip that protruded!" Also, I may just have been lucky, but the pain following surgery was miinimal. I stopped the pain meds. at 4 weeks and only take Colace (stool softener) and Tylenol. The stomach pains from battling constipation was worse than any surgery pain.
                Sorry-Didn't mean to ramble on. It was such a nice evening to get out last night and hear so many compliments.
                Karen,

What great news that you're able to get out of the house. I remember how good that felt.

As far as that 'stiff' look goes, here's a story for you. I started back to work at 7 months post-op. A new friend that I met at that time told me just LAST week (at 2 years post op), that since we met, I walk, move, and have a posture that looks totally UNSTIFF. She said that if she met me now she would never suspect that I had a long fusion. When she told me that it just made my day, because since surgery I've had this self-conscious feeling that I must look like I'm walking around with a 'stick up my butt.' Apparently I dont' any more and I feel like a million bucks!

I'm sure that will happen for you too, but it will take some time.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Since I am heading into my surgery with Dr. Lenke in a few weeks, I'm particularly interested to hear that you are doing so well. Your recovery is remarkable, considering what you had done. I wish over the years that I had been in the habit of exercise and sports because I'm sure your fitness has a lot to do with your recuperation. I'm extremely disciplined in just about everything except exercise. I came late to it and it is a daily battle to make it a priority, even though I know how important it is to all of us.

Gaining three inches is amazing! I'm just hoping to get back up to my 5'2" instead of the 4'11" Lenke's office tells my I am right now.

Continued success, Karen.
                  FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                  10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                  8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                  5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                  2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                  3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I am doing well, but just taking one day at a time. Whenever I tell someone I'm doing great, (I'm thinking-knock on wood) I was bothered to read that Laurie Ann (another one of Dr. Lenke's patients) is having a new pain at 10 weeks post op. I just hope everyone gets their problems resolved and that we can all have a smooth recovery.
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

good to hear golfnut. returning to those normal activities does feel good. and that's funny about the stiff walk. i think i didn't get back to my normal walk 100% until around 3.5 months post op.

i'm 5 mo post op from my kypho surg and doing very well except for some forward neck issues
                      Age 25 male
                      Upstate NY
                      T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
                      Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
                      Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

Working...
                      X