Anyone live in Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone live in Colorado?

Hi all - I recently got certified in Pilates and would love to work with any of you (pre- or post- op!). The studio I work at is also a physical therapy clinic and the owner ( a PT) and I, work very closely together. If any of you live in the Denver-area (or plan to visit), let me know, and hopefully you can come on in! Pilates is great for improving posture and altering movement patterns that focus on alignment, as well as building strength and flexibility. The exercises are very low-impact and utilize no jarring movements, and mainly just focus on strengthening the core muscles to alleviate unnecessary stress and strain that is normally placed on the back. Pilates has really helped me recover strong and fast from my surgery/recovery almost 2 years ago...ESPECIALLY with restoring balance on the muscles surrounding my back and shoulders that have become so uneven, rigid and weak over the years with my scoliosis. I hope to work with any of you! "Spinal issues" have become a new passion of mine.

Foofer lives in Colorado. =)
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I'll be in Denver March 13 and 14th...Do you have any availability Monday, March 14 in the a.m.??

Yay, Jess...I've been waiting for this!
      Amy
      58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
      Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
      Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
      2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
      Exercising to correct

Comment

yay Amy! Have you met with Dr. Bess yet? I typically don't work on Mondays, but I will see if the physical therapist there can meet with you then! I know she teaches a 9 a.m. pilates class... are you interested??

Comment

Yes, I am interested. Sign me up!

I just sent you a PM, and let's keep in touch.

Yay!
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

Jess--
            I used to do Pilates before surgery. I gave everything a pretty good try but some things were pretty hard. I just can't do anything on the floor with legs out without tipping backwards. I've been doing exercises--more standing type for abs--but didn't feel like it was really doing a lot so have now had 9 pilates reformer sessions with a trainer. We also do other things now since we just can't get my core/abs to engage when I am on the reformer. I can only seem to get anything in a standing or regular sitting position. My trainer was absolutely sure we'd get there. I think she's pretty much given up on that part too. We do the stuff and I do the special breathing but don't feel much of anything. I guess if other things work it's OK--except I spent a fortune on these sessions. She does adjust for my leg length when I lie down so maybe that helps with evening me up a little. Thanks for any info. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

it's hard to know exactly what's going on without seeing you... but if you're looking to really engage your abs, i suggest using the Pilates chair. most of the exercises are done with a flat/neutral spine on the chair, and it's intense. you'll def feel it.

Comment

Darn, I don't think they have that. Sounds good though.
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                X