Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late but here is my recovery story

Surgery 1/31 5am

We went to the hospital and checked in. The took me to the back and I went through the Q & A and got my IV put in. They poked my 5 times b4 they got a vein.

I kissed my hubby bye and I was taken to the OR.

I was told that things went way better this time and I did not have to go to the ICU this time.

When I woke up the pain was worst than I thought it was going to be. Pushing the button for pain did not work for me so I asked them to take it out. I started on oral pain meds with a manual morphine push. Dilaudin if that's how u spell it made me sick.

It was hard to find a combo of drugs that helped my pain. I was in the hospital for 7 days and had heart problems during my stay. This affected my pain medications.

i had problems with 2 of the nurses that took care of me. they did not give me my pain meds on time. even when i called them way b4 i was due. they missed giving me meds that i was supposed to get all together. my docs were not happy about that.

i started moving around and walking on my own with my hubby helping me. due to my heart probs this prevented me from starting PT/OT. so we started on our own. they said i was doing too good, as far as walking goes. they wanted me to go to the in hospital rehab but i got better and they said i did not need it.

it was very hard for the first 3 days at home but things are inching along.

i am in still a bit of pain so my post may seem scattered lol.

i am showering, using the bathroom, dressing and walking by myself.
    LaShawn Hardy
    34 years old
    Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
    36 degree curve Thoratic
    Lumbar natural fusion
    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
    T2-L1
    Dr. Herkowitz
    Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
    hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

LaShawn--
    Congratulations on being on the other side and doing so well considering how new your surgery is. You seem to be progressing just right. Hoping this continues for you. Good luck. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I am glad that your surgery went well, and that you're now able to do some things on your own now. Isn't it something when you can start doing the activities of daily living on your own? It's such a wonderful feeling of freedom, and of feeling like you're heading in the right direction toward normal!

I am sorry that you had such a rough time with pain control. It sounds like it was a hard enough issue to figure out, with your cardiac problems - you sure didn't need to have a couple nurses who added to the problem rather than to the solution. (I had 1 rotten apple nurse during my hospitalization for the fusion surgery. It made me appreciate what a blessing - and they truly were a blessing - the other nurses were.)

Here's to a smoothe, comfortable recovery! <clink!>
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Thanks for posting and lettting us know how you're doing. Keep up the good work and have a smooth recovery.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Lashawn,
          Congrats on getting through surgery and recovery at home ;-)
          I see in your signature that you have a bleeding disorder. What type of bleeding disorder do you have? I work as an RN in a hematologist's office and have seen how this only adds to the stress and recovery of surgery.
          Recovery from spinal fusion is baby steps but you will see progress from week to week...Keep walking and let your body be your guide....
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

After the bumpy start, it seems you're doing great now LaShawn. Congratulations! I know your wait for surgery was gruelling. Take it easy, walk, eat, relax and you will continue doing just fine. Thanks for letting us know how you're going.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

it goes by so fast! every week you'll feel better. hope you have a smooth and complete recovery!
              Rebecca
              Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
              wore night bending brace as teenager
              Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
              herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
              fusion L2-3 November 2008
              Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
              Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
              Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
              gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
              Before and After X-rays