PDA

View Full Version : Feb 22 surgery!!! YES!!!

mgs
02-14-2011, 09:04 PM
I guess I could post this over in the revision section. . .a graduation, of sorts? I had my CTs this am, and saw the dr afterward. He sees 3 spots of non-union, all lower thoracic and lumbar. He said that the non-union at L-1/2 looks like bone actually broke. Anyway, back to the OR to give those 3 another go, this time using bmp instead of rib bone. He said that he would take the rods up no further than T-10 (or did he say T-7?). Also, he'll do an osteotomy at L-2 to (hopefully) help w/my posture. I said that I had so enjoyed wearing clothes after my first surgery, because there was hardly any rib hump - nothing like before. Now it's back. I told him that I'm a greedy girl: I want to feel good AND look good. He said that he would remember that when we go into the OR. THEN, he left and the scheduling person came in with her huge binder. She told me that he's now scheduling well into April. I said, "Oh, no!". . .and then she said, "Unless. . .I might be able to get you in one time earlier, since you're young and healthy, and don't need any dr exam or tests first. . .can you be ready for Feb 22, next Tues?" YES!!! So, unless there's some snafu, I'm on the schedule for a week from tomorrow! I go back tomorrow at 8am for my pre-op visit.
For the past couple weeks, when I've read the title of Lilysaidwhat's thread, I always said to myself, "I wish I were having my surgery that soon". I got my wish!
My hospital stay is expected to be 4 or 5 days. Sun, Feb 27 is my 50th birthday. I think I found a way to truly not be bothered the least little bit about hitting that landmark. . .on Sun, I'll be too miserable to give a hoot.

backissues
02-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Good luck!! This doesn't give you time to "think" about the surgery. You will be "on the other side" before you know it. Wishing you well!!

JenniferG
02-15-2011, 03:15 AM
mgs, I'm so glad you don't have to wait much longer! What great news! You sooo deserve this fix.

Doodles
02-15-2011, 01:22 PM
mgs--
That's the way to do it! Right away without all the waiting. This is great. Congrats! Since I have seen my rib hump return quite a bit, I was wondering if they had a reason for why yours did. Was it due to the nonunion places? Best of luck to you. Janet

golfnut
02-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Best of luck to you. How nice to be able to get in and get it over with quickly.

Elisa
02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Only one week! Better start packing. Hope everything goes smoothly for you. Will someone update us?

Confusedmom
02-16-2011, 08:06 AM
mgs--
Since I have seen my rib hump return quite a bit, I was wondering if they had a reason for why yours did.

Is this normal? I hate to think you went to one of the best surgeons in the nation, got "fixed," and then the "repairs" don't last. Are your curves coming back, too, or just the rib hump? Sorry that's happening!

Evelyn

golfnut
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Evelyn,
I know Janet went to Dr. Lenke who also was my surgeon. I had a huge rib hump. He told me before surgery that he thought he could reduce it by 75%. I told Kelly the day before my surgery to tell Dr. Lenke that the cosmetic results were important to me because I currently didn't have much pain and could do anything physically that I wanted to do knowing that that would not be the case after surgery. I was kidding, but said, "Just tell him I don't care if he saws off a couple of ribs since I'm going to be in pain following surgergy anyway." I am now 6 weeks post surgery and have absolutely no rib hump. He did not perform a thoracoplasty, but just derotating and straightening the spine took care of it. I will be REALLY upset if my ribhump returns as Janet's did. I will ask about the likelyhood of that when I go for my check up on March 16th

boopy1
02-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Good Luck and I'll be thinking about you.I'm sur you'll do great . You have such a good attitude

Donna

Doodles
02-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Dr. Lenke said last April when I saw him that it had "popped out" some. There didn't seem to be much reason for it. I'm interested to see this April if it is moreso. I had a lot of rotation and maybe that's why it was the best they could do. When the x-rays look good I don't think they stress much about it--but I do. Janet

titaniumed
02-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Evelyn

They will get you fixed up this time for sure. Sometimes we have to do a few and pay our dues, but in the end it all works out just fine....

Get er done
Keep us posted
Ed

mgs
02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Maybe it's the oxycodones, but I'm starting to get confused on my own thread !!! about who's who.
Let me know if I don't have it right:
Doodles = Janet
golfnut = Karen
confusedmom = Evelyn
mgs = Mary Ann (me!)

I so much appreciate everyone's encouragement. I'm working at keeping anxiety at bay, and so far, I'm pretty good. A lot of credit for keeping me calm and optimistic goes to you, my forum friends. Invaluable!!!!

titaniumed
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
LOL that Oxy is powerful stuff! Even after your off. Duh

Ed

Confusedmom
02-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Mary Ann,

Sorry--I think I hijacked and confused your thread a bit with the question about the rib hump. Just for clarification, I think it was Ti Ed who was confused--not you! Mgs is the one having a revision; I haven't worked up the courage for No. 1 yet, but it's coming...

Anyway, Mary Ann, I hope your revision goes well. I hate to think you actually broke bone! Agh. You should feel better when they get you straightened out!!

Janet, keep us posted on the rib hump developments. I have a lot of rotation, too, and losing that hump is about the only thing I'm looking forward to with surgery!

:),
Evelyn

P.S. Does anyone know if it's possible to change your user name? I'm sick of being "Confused"! :)

debbei
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
WhooooHOoo!!! I'm so thrilled for you!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes, and I'm sure it will be GREAT!!

peachrush7
02-17-2011, 01:04 PM
hope everything goes well! i know all about having to go back in for more work...no fun, but worth it when it finally all gets fixed!

Lilysaidwhat
02-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I must be on crack - I told my surgeon I don't care about my rib hump at all. Rather, just be sure that scar is freakin' straight.

I'm very concerned about upper torso shift, and said I'd rather be corrected to 45* instead of 40* if it means I'll have less shift and still be stable. He said he can reduce my rib hump and I told him I don't care about it. Just keep that shift from happening and we'll all be pleased.

Elisa
02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
BIG DAY tomorrow!! I'll be thinking of you. How do you feel?

mgs
02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Not like I expected I would feel. I'm really happy that the time is almost here. I have an idea of what to expect as far as pain goes, although this time its 3 levels rather than 12, and this time there's an osteotomy. But, surprisingly (at least to me) I don't fear it - probably because of how intense the pain was with the breaking of bone in Dec (the pain has eased up some since the weekend). I figure if I made it through that, I can make it through another rough time. Only now, I'll know why I'm in pain, and I'll know that every day, I'm 1 day closer to "healed". (Of course, I might not be as cheerful in a couple days!) I'm curious whether I'll notice a difference from the osteotomy the 1st time I stand up.
My surgery is scheduled to start at 1pm, so check-in is at 11am - we'll leave for the hospital around 9:30. I'm soooo ready!! I'm maybe even a bit excited. Thanks for asking!

Susie*Bee
02-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Best wishes and prayers for a successful surgery and quickish recovery. Hugs, Susie

Lilysaidwhat
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Thinking of you!

Elisa
02-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey Lily, thinking of you too on your own big day tomorrow and am wishing you all the best. =D

Doodles
02-22-2011, 03:27 PM
mgs--
Very best wishes for tomorrow! You have such a super attitude; I think you are going to do great and feel so much better! Janet

JenniferG
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
It's the 23rd here so I think mgs will be in surgery about now or it may be over? Hope everything's going great, mgs!