PDA

View Full Version : HELP 15 days post op can't poop

fusedspine
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
tried exlax, nitrate something, suppositories. it does not feel like i have to poop. i am starting to eat more so where is the poop LOL.

I did take a small poop b4 going home from the hospital on the 7th.

rohrer01
02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
That's a long time to go without going. I would call your doctor's office and see what they suggest. I know there are some pretty strong things out there over-the-counter that can help you. You certainly don't want this to start causing you pain.

briarrose
02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
You could try magnesium citrate (maybe that's what you meant by nitrate), an enema, senna tea, senekot, milk of magnesia, miralax. I had to use magnesium citrate and an enema the day I came home from the hospital. If those don't work, you should probably contact a doctor.

Shell

JamieAnn
02-14-2011, 08:49 PM
The Fleet Enema was what finally worked for me - but that was after days of trying everything else in the book. And even though it "worked" it still took a few more days to really get everything going normally again. The daily Miralax and stool softeners afterward were still totally necessary.

If I ever went through surgery again I would start with the big guns and not even bother with prune juice and softeners, etc. :)

Good luck!

KathK
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I highly recommend Miralax. Could someone post the link to the article about opiate induced constipation or point to the thread containing it? I thought it was a very good article.

JenniferG
02-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Oh you poor thing - you've received some good advice here, so good luck!

Apart from constipation, how are you doing? You were in such a bad way prior to surgery, I'd love to know how it went and how you're feeling now.

fusedspine
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
i pooped :) thanks for the help guys.