PDA

View Full Version : Cardio suggestions?

pmc
02-14-2011, 09:21 AM
The recent post about a punching bag reminded me of something I've been wanting to ask here. I've been doing yoga, some pilates, PT exercises, etc and though I think they've been helpful I know it's important that we all get some cardio-type activity as well. It may also be the winter, but I've been getting the urge to move about in a more energetic way. My PT suggested running, which surprised me because of the impact. It's also freezing out and I am in a city, so it's not the most jogging friendly environment.

I'm curious, what cardio activities are other members using?

Lilysaidwhat
02-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Wii fit is a blast, burns cals, gives you lots of different ways to get in an aerobic workout, etc.

I bought it specifically for post-op use during recovery but we haven't been able to resist so far. Doesn't take up a lot of space and can be played regardless of the weather outside.

pmc
02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks, both, for the good suggestions. I love to walk, and when it is warm out I do it quite a lot. I'm in cramped apartment, so that would be a possibly prohibiting factor a treadmill. I hadn't even considered a Wii!

Lilysaidwhat
02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
If you have friends with Wii, you can even play "against" them remotely. Highly recommend, because it will encourage you to do more and get a higher score on the different games to beat them.

rohrer01
02-15-2011, 10:16 AM
This sounds fun. I have been thinking about getting a Wii for a long time now. I think this just sealed the deal! :-)

Lilysaidwhat
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Just FYI - you buy a Wii for $125 or whatever it is, and then you buy a Wii Fit Plus which is around $99. The Wii Fit Plus is a balance board that you stand on. It tracks your progress on weight, balance, etc. - there are a LOT of balance games which I think will help me track my recovery, because right now when I am in pain, it's clear that my balance is really far off center. I expect that in 6-8 months I will be much more centered and my little Mii will jump up and down with glee. :)

I really like the balance games and think they will be very helpful for recovery. When you shift muscles 1-2" from where they've been for decades, compensation will be hard to achieve, so hopefully I can retrain my muscle memory by doing activities where I have to be cognizant of my center balancing.

Naturally this is in addition to regular Physical Therapy, by which I patently swear. My surgeon was "pretty impressed" with the correction he could get simply with traction for my pre-op x-rays. I maintain that is in part to 1) my age and 2) that I've had weekly traction stretching for a year in PT.

/end hijack

pmc
02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
If you have friends with Wii, you can even play "against" them remotely. Highly recommend, because it will encourage you to do more and get a higher score on the different games to beat them.

Hijack away! ;) It's all useful information, so I (and I am sure others) appreciate it. When I was at PT, a saw a therapist suggest Wii fit to her patient, but for some reason I didn't consider it for myself at that point.

So, when do we start the scoliosis Wii league? Tennessee Thoracics vs London Lumbars?

Lilysaidwhat
02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, if those are the teams I'm afraid I'm a fence sitter.

pmc
02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Me, too, actually- I was looking for alliteration over locations - but I am flexible. ;)

I'm curious, has anyone else found other good cardio options?