Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Year Out and still take occasional pain meds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year Out and still take occasional pain meds!

Is this normal? I am one year out and still take pain meds, once or twice a week. I only take them in the evening, when the pain becomes unbearable. I feel like a whimp, sometimes, but feel horrible, when I get bad pain.

rich

Hmm...I guess everyone is different but that seems odd to me...I'm at 11 months and haven't taken more than an occasional tylenol since month 2. What does your doc say?

Nitram
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Afraid I was one of those for about 15 months. I just kept cutting down SOOOO gradually and paid for it every time I cut down by a fourth. I'd have several bad days so I just couldn't get off for so long. My p.t. person thought I'd probably always have to take them. But I did get off of them. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

At one year out I was taking muscle relaxants before bed, but not pain meds. Which are you taking? I know that my pain was all muscle related at that point.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I agree that everyone is different in how they recover. After my first surgery, I was still in a significant amount of pain at the one year mark. I was still taking pain meds regularly. After my revision, and now it is 11 months post op from that, I will still take an occasional Norco or Advil for a flareup of sciatica that I still have, or if I overdo it in the activity department my back will let me know it. It averages about once a week now that I take something. Over time the pain lessens, so don't beat yourself up if your timeline is different that others. ;/
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
          X