PDA

View Full Version : Year Out and still take occasional pain meds!

rich1752
02-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Is this normal? I am one year out and still take pain meds, once or twice a week. I only take them in the evening, when the pain becomes unbearable. I feel like a whimp, sometimes, but feel horrible, when I get bad pain.

rich

Nitram
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Hmm...I guess everyone is different but that seems odd to me...I'm at 11 months and haven't taken more than an occasional tylenol since month 2. What does your doc say?

Nitram

Doodles
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Afraid I was one of those for about 15 months. I just kept cutting down SOOOO gradually and paid for it every time I cut down by a fourth. I'd have several bad days so I just couldn't get off for so long. My p.t. person thought I'd probably always have to take them. But I did get off of them. Janet

debbei
02-09-2011, 05:31 AM
At one year out I was taking muscle relaxants before bed, but not pain meds. Which are you taking? I know that my pain was all muscle related at that point.

naptown78
02-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I agree that everyone is different in how they recover. After my first surgery, I was still in a significant amount of pain at the one year mark. I was still taking pain meds regularly. After my revision, and now it is 11 months post op from that, I will still take an occasional Norco or Advil for a flareup of sciatica that I still have, or if I overdo it in the activity department my back will let me know it. It averages about once a week now that I take something. Over time the pain lessens, so don't beat yourself up if your timeline is different that others. ;/