Upcoming surgeries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming surgeries...

Someone was mentioning the upcoming surgeries...here they are again. Good luck to SarahCant and Mariposateach-you are almost there, ladies!!! And I'm glad Lilysaidwhat is on the other side now... Anyone else that we need to add to our list for good wishes??

There seems to be a whole new group out there with surgeries scheduled just recently. I like how golfnut kept a running list with the people and the dates. We don't want to forget anyone! So if everyone who wants to could list your surgery date and place, etc., to this thread, that would be great. I'm afraid if I try to list everyone, someone would be left out. I don't want that mistake haunting me!!!
    Here it is so far, I will add as I get more dates:

Feb 23 - Lilysaidwhat Dr Grauer at Yale.

March 15 - Sarahcant , NYU, Dr. Errico, full fusion with pelvis fixation

March 15 - Mariposateach, UCSF, anterior
    March 17- posterior

March 22- Elisa's son, Shriners- Portland, Or Dr. Krajbich, anterior, halo applied, circular bed until April 19
    April 19 - posterior surgery fusion and instrumentation

April 19- ColdBricks, HSS in NYC, Dr. Boachie -changed to the 27th

April 5 - cathydrew, Dr. Lonner, T4-S1 with pelvic fixation-postponed to next year

June 7- lorz, Dr. Boachie at HSS, T4-S1
    Last edited by jeneemohler; 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM. Reason: adding/editing surgery dates
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Hi Jenee'

Thanks for thinking of us! My surgery is scheduled for June 7th, with Dr. Boachie, at HSS. The proposed procedure is T4 or 5- S1, all posterior. Just got the ok from my insurance co. yesterday, so it is becoming frighteningly real! Lori Z.
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I can 'finally' add to the list!

My 14 y/o son will be having two surgeries. The first one will be on March 22nd 2011. I believe it is an anterior surgery to loosen up his spine as well apply the halo to his head and will be in traction as well as a circular bed until April 19th. 2011 when he'll have posterior surgery with instrumentation. I'm not sure how long his fusion will be but I'm guessing mostly thoracic as that's where his huge curve is.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Thanks, Jenee', for doing this.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Barring any unforeseen delays, April 5th, Dr. Lonner, T4 to S1 w/fixation
          Cathy
          2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
          54 years old March 5
          AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
          Surgery April 8 2015
          Presurgical curves T77 L66
          Post surgical T27 L22
          Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Karen-you were the one with the wonderful idea of organizing it. I'm just being a copycat!! Full credit goes to you.. Another day down, another day closer to full recovery! No more waking up in the shower, right???
            Jenee'-52
            Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
            9 hours
            Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

I'm the other Cathy with an upcoming surgery -March 15 anterior and 17 posterior. I'll be in San Francisco at UCSF Medical Center. So, while I'm recovering in the hospital my family can enjoy the beautiful city. We live 4 hours away in the mountains, so time in the city is a real treat. Like the other Cathy, I say "Let's get on with this" - worrying does no good. I'm just trying to be as prepared and educated as I can be -
              Cathy from CA
              59 years old
              70 degree curve before surgery
              Original surgery March 2011, anterior and posterior
              T3 - sacrum
              UCSF, Dr. V. Deviren
              Infection after two weeks,
              Then four more weeks in the hospital and three more surgeries to clean out the infection

Comment

Lets get it going already!

Thats how I feel! This anticipation sucks! I'll be having my surgery on March 15th with Dr. Errico at NYU Hosp. for Joint diseases in nyc. Thorasic is 38 Lumbar is 70 with nerve pain, tingling and weakness and lots of pain. Full fusion with pelvic fixation. I just gave up my job because I work with little kids and am not chancing getting sick. I wish all of us luck and love through this ordeal. Will keep posting!
                Sarahcant
                Surgery March 15
                Dr. Errico NYU
                Fused T-3 to S-1
                an inch and change taller
                nice and straight
                49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Sarah, that is actually a great idea.
                  My entire family came down with a head and chest cold the week before my surgery, I don't know how I didn't get it. I seem to be naturally immune to a lot of the colds that go around. Thank Goodness! They almost postponed my surgery because I woke up with a sore throat on Friday before my Monday surgery. I was scared to death they were going to postpone it- I was psyched up for just getting it done after all the years of waiting, and 6 months of having a surgery date! But all went as planned, as I had no fever and no more symptoms over the weekend.

I wish all of you the best of luck on your upcoming "adventure"!
                  Jenee'-52
                  Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                  9 hours
                  Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Sarah,
                    We have the same surgery date - from one coast to the other!
                    I am an elementary school teacher and I plan to work all the way until surgery. I've been teaching for 33 years and rarely catch the germs from the kiddos - but I am taking lots of vitamin C and washing my hands constantly! I think it probably is smart to do whatever it takes to stay healthy.
                    Take care and lets stay strong and positive.
                    Cathy
                    Cathy from CA
                    59 years old
                    T3 - sacrum
                    UCSF, Dr. V. Deviren
                    Then four more weeks in the hospital and three more surgeries to clean out the infection

Comment

Hi other Cathy! I wish you blessings and luck with your surgery, please keep us informed of your progress when the time comes =) I am also a teacher, but I teach 6th grade in the middle school where we change classes each period. I am planning to work til as close to my surgery date as I can as well - gotta save those days! I am also planning to return in September for the new school year. I am hopeful my administration will go easy on my schedule for next year and not have me running up and down stairs with three minutes between classes as I do this year! When are you planning to return to school?
                      Cathy
                      2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
                      54 years old March 5
                      AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
                      Surgery April 8 2015
                      Presurgical curves T77 L66
                      Post surgical T27 L22
                      Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Thanks Jenee - I'm Feb 23 with Dr Grauer at Yale.

If someone wants to join my facebook group for updates, PM me and I will send you info.
                        Female, age 38
                        4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                        currently 64*upper/40*lower
                        Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                        now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
                          Karen-you were the one with the wonderful idea of organizing it. I'm just being a copycat!! Full credit goes to you.. Another day down, another day closer to full recovery! No more waking up in the shower, right???
                          Actually, some credit should go to Susie*Bee who maintained the list for quite a while prior to Golfnut. And there might have been someone before Susie*Bee.

Anyone and everyone kind enough to step up the plate to organize these threads deserves credit and thanks.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks to everyone else who has maintained a list before I was here. It helps to keep everyone straight. I don't want to miss anyone, and make them feel left out or unimportant. If I do, it is completely unintentional!

Lilysaidwhat, you are coming right up, aren't you? How are you doing? Is it getting any easier the closer you get? When I was finally resolved to getting it done, I was afraid I would get worse and have a set back the couple weeks before, but I didn't. Then I was worried that the last few days would be hard-but they weren't. THEN I was afraid that I would be afraid the morning of- getting up early and grabbing my bags and driving to the hospital, but I wasn't!! I hope this holds true for all of you coming up. I was afraid of being afraid, and it was all for nothing! And most importantly, it has all been so worth it. Tomorrow is my one month post-op. And it is all good. Good luck, EVERYONE!
                            Jenee'-52
                            Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                            9 hours
                            Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Jenne -
                              Happy one month! I am so impressed that you are feeling well enough, and of clear enough mind, to be organizing and updating our list! How are you doing in your recovery?

Lily - I hope you're feeling peace and strength as your day gets closer. I loved what Jenne said about not being nearly as nervous and afraid as she thought she would be when the day finally arrived.

Cathy (other Cathy) - I also am planning on returning to school in the fall. Our fall schedule actually begins the third week of August - hopefully I'll be ready to hang out with 30 or more 8 and 9 year olds by then. If not, I'll take another month off.
                              Cathy from CA
                              59 years old
                              T3 - sacrum
                              UCSF, Dr. V. Deviren

Comment

Working...
                              X