Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swelling

Hi Everyone,

I am a little over 4 months post op and doing really great. I'm working full time, started VERY light pilates exercises, and really living life 95% normally. I say 95% because there are still times I have to lay on the heating pad at the end of the day or ask someone to pick up something for me because my back just gets tired. But, overall, feeling very great.

I still am noticing swelling though in my very lower stomach and in my lower back. The stomach swelling I can see - it's a little pouch that I've never had before. I even lost a bit of weight since surgery and can still see this funny little pouch.

In my back I cannot see swelling but I can feel it when I put shoes on or off. It feels like a pulling sensation. It's not painful but very annoying and after 4 months I feel like it's abnormal.

I asked my surgeon at my 3 month visit and he shrugged his shoulders and didn't think it was a big deal. I am just curious how long others experienced swelling and if there is a reason to be worried.

Thanks

Hi...

Is the swelling on one side of the belly, or across the entire belly? Did you have anterior surgery, and if so, how long is the incision?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Posterior only.. And along the entire belly. It looks like a pouch of fat but it wasn't always there!

Comment

Hi there,
        Im 13 weeks post-op and have a pouch like swelling in my groin-the back of my hip that side is swollen too.

Over the phone my dr said it could be a hernia but when my surgeon looked at it he said it could be a weak muscle,Im going to let my dr have a look at it on Monday as it hurts 1st thing and when I go on a longish walk it gets very tight.
        Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I'm only 4 weeks post surgery, but have a stomach pouch I've never had before. It's not as bad as a couple of weeks ago, but it's still there. It is actually firm to the touch, but just not flat as before surgery.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

concerned for you

Wow not happy that Dr. Errico shrugged his shoulders and didnt have an answer...whats up with that? I would keep pressing him until I got answers I would'nt think that its normal to have something there now that wasnt there before. Keep us posted! Good luck!
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            an inch and change taller
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
              I'm only 4 weeks post surgery, but have a stomach pouch I've never had before. It's not as bad as a couple of weeks ago, but it's still there. It is actually firm to the touch, but just not flat as before surgery.
              Hi Karen - do you have swelling in the center of your back (mid way up)? Mine had developed a pocket of swelling there and it hasn't gone down at all yet. When I saw Lenke at 5 weeks he commented that is was unusual to see the swelling like that in response to the bmp material but didn't seem overly concerned. He noted it but didn't act like it was a big deal. I'm sorry to hear about your stomach problem. Does it hurt at all? I wonder if your stomach swelling could be swelling under the abdominal wall muscle or could possibly a hernia. I've heard that can happen with all the rearranging they do in surgery. Hope u get some answers and it gets better!
              Laurie Anne
              Age 30
              Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
              Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
              Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
              PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
              5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
              1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

LaurieAnn,
                I don't have much swelling in my back although it is numb in places. Kelly said once that it takes your body time to absorb all of the fluids pumped into it during the surgery. I used to do ab exercises almost daily and I can't even guess when I can do that and whatvstomach exercises would even be allowed. My stomach may never be the same as itbwas. My back sure looks better.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I still have a pooch on my right lower ab. Bottom line is I have a stretched nerve from the XLIF surgery. A 1% chance of occuring, yay me huh? It will take at least a year to heal. Surgeon prescribed a special ab brace to wear, certainly in private at home. It is quite ugly and you certainly don't want to be in public in it, but it helps support the non-working muscles until healing begins, let's hope soon. I do tons of ab work daily. No sign of improvement yet and the PT guys say yeah it takes a long time, be patient. Nerves heal at a rate of about 1 cm/month. I even got measured to have a guideline of healing time. I was also prescribe Neurontin (or gabapentin generic) to help in the stabbing pain which can occur. I also wear a TENs unit every night, take silica, b12, ginko which my homeopathic MD says helps in nerve healing. Also take extra Magnesium liquid and use it to massage on the parts that are numb. Pulling out all the stops, hope that helps.
                  XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
                  Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
                  Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
                  Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
                  53 yrs old

Comment

Wow, seems like there are various types of post-surgery swelling that can occur!

It seems like no one really has what I'm talking about though. Golfnut - your swelling is still very normal as you're not far out. I'm over 4 months out though.

I don't know if this is something I should bring up again to the surgeon or just wait and see.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

JamieAnn, I've heard from friends who have this surgery that you get a post-op pooch that you can't really get rid of.

I have been doing ab strengthening for lower belly like crazy (T minus 2 weeks to surgery) and if that doesn't do it, screw it, I'm getting lipo next winter.
                      Female, age 38
                      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                      currently 64*upper/40*lower
                      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Do you happen to know the medical reason as to why you'd get a post-op pouch?? That sounds odd to me.

Also, the "pouch" is very low - below my stomach. Yes there are muscles there and I'm sure it's affected by my ab muscle strength but it's not the main ab area. Not sure if it's muscular at all, it really seems like it's fluid.

Very frustrating!

Comment

"Do you happen to know the medical reason as to why you'd get a post-op pouch?? That sounds odd to me."

Me too, but I can tell you that I definitely have one. And I have always had a flat stomach. There doesn't seem to be anything that I can do to get rid of it. I am 1.5 years out from my scolio surgery. I had front and back, but the incision in my abdomen is literally 1.5 inches. I had a procedure where it is done orthoscopically, I think that is the term. The dr. used special instruments to limit the size of the incision, etc. Anyway, I still got the pouch. Would love to hear if anybody knows what the reason for this is.

Comment

I think it has to do with weakening of the lower ab muscles.
                            Female, age 38
                            4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                            currently 64*upper/40*lower
                            Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                            now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Hm.. maybe I will address this with my PT then.

I can (sort of) understand the pouch with the anterior incision but I just had posterior so this is why it baffles me so much .

Anyway - thank you for all of your replies. At least I'm not alone in this!

Comment

Working...
                              X