PDA

View Full Version : Rigo Cheneau brace and under-shirts question

BellasMom
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi all;

My daughter, who is almost 12, just got her RC brace.

Can anybody share some links where I can buy her more under-shirts - Luke provided us with 2, but for wearing brace FT it's definitely not enough

Thanks in advance

Alla

Resilience
02-04-2011, 12:08 AM
my daughter likes the shirts from tillys.com

once on the site, search for seamless cami

only $7.99 and they come in lots of colors

they're a spandex blend, very stretchy and soft

hope that helps

BellasMom
02-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks, they look good, but they don't cover the under-arm area - is that not a problem for your daughter?

Resilience
02-04-2011, 12:34 AM
my daughter's brace comes up high under her left arm but she just pulls the cami up under her left arm pit once the brace is on but not fastened then once the velcro is closed up the brace is so tight that the undershirt doesn't slide down.

she prefers them to the Knit Rite shirts that the orthotist supplied us with when we got the brace. they were $50 each, and not wearing very well honestly, although I take great care of them in the laundry room, for that price!

JessicaNoVa
02-04-2011, 08:39 AM
My daughter has both the Tilly's camis and the KnitRites. In the winter, she prefers the KnitRites but they're a little too warm in the summer so she wears the Tilly's. She also has a variety of colors in those so she can coordinate with her outfit a little better. In short sleeved summer wear, that matters to her more.

Luke gave us seven of the KnitRites - did you check with him to see that two was all you should get? (he charged us for them, of course, but insurance paid for some of it)

mamandcrm
02-04-2011, 09:22 AM
You can purchase as many shirts as you want (assuming they have them in stock) but they are costly if insurance does not kick in. Our first insurance company paid for 7, and we bought a few more. My dd has been wearing hers 2 1/2 years and I wash them frequently. She wears each one no more than half a day. They don't look pretty over time but I have found they hold up fine, even the ones from when she was wearing the brace f/t. So it's been a one-time purchase for us until she outgrows them. I think the Boston brace company may sell their shirts on-line (not positive) although they have a crew neck rather than a v-neck. Under Armour also works nicely as it is compression fitted but they are short sleeved.

BellasMom
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Luke gave us seven of the KnitRites - did you check with him to see that two was all you should get? (he charged us for them, of course, but insurance paid for some of it)

No, he only gave us 2.

I already contacted KnitRites to see whether I can buy them directly - otherwise, I'll call Luke's office to see if they can drop few in the mail for me

I am definitely buying couple of Tilly's - you can't beat the price :)

BellasMom
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
You can purchase as many shirts as you want (assuming they have them in stock) but they are costly if insurance does not kick in.

I am definitely going to find whether my insurance pays for those - thanks!

leahdragonfly
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
We were able to get knit-rite through the orthotist's office, and our insurance paid for most of the cost. My daughter loved them at first since they are thinner than the Boston T (available online also), but then they became less smooth over time. Towards the end of her bracing she was wearing the Under Armour HeatGear Girls sleeveless or short-sleeved shirts exclusively. They are so smooth and thin that she found them the most comfortable. These are also widely available online.

Good luck!

Gayle

BellasMom
02-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Under Armour HeatGear Girls sleeveless or short-sleeved shirts exclusively

Great, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. These look perfect

I might get some of the tank tops for summer and some of these for now!

Resilience
02-04-2011, 10:23 AM
oh I'll check those out too! thanks!

question about caring for the knit rite shirts: I've been washing on delicate cycle and hanging to dry yet they're still getting a roughness to them. I never wash them with towels etc, maybe just some other cotton t-shirts. Any tips would be appreciated.

JessicaNoVa
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Do you have your itemized bill from Orthotic Solutions? Double check that you were only charged for two if that's all you received. I would think they'd be pretty standard in what they hand out. {sell} They were out of my daughter's size when she first picked up the brace but gave us us the remaining shirts at her two week check. I did have to remind him that I still needed them.

BellasMom
02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Do you have your itemized bill from Orthotic Solutions? Double check that you were only charged for two if that's all you received. .

I am sure that he did not overcharge us - I would say he undercharged :) Since our insurance covered only half of the brace, he even gave us a discount

We won't have a 2-weeks appointment, since we are in Boston :)

JessicaNoVa
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I am sure that he did not overcharge us - I would say he undercharged :) Since our insurance covered only half of the brace, he even gave us a discount

We won't have a 2-weeks appointment, since we are in Boston :)

Oh, I didn't mean he intentionally overcharged you! This was what the itemized breakout was:
Body Jacket (molded to patient model): $1800
Additions to TSLO Thoracic: $805
Additions to TSLO Lumbar: $170
Additions to TSLO Kyphosis: $140
Protective Body sock quantity 7: $350
Pads: $340
Casting Supplies: $184
Unspecified additions, Quantity 16 (which I take to mean future adjustments): $755.04

For a total of $4555.04. The Protective Body sock quantity 7 is the KnitRite shirts.

That was the bill he submitted to insurance. He actually charged us $3800.

BellasMom
02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
They have not send me itemized bill yet - since we are out of town and tried to leave in a hurry (because of the snow storms), they'll be sending itemized bill later

I'll check with my insurance and will try to buy some more from Luke

mamandcrm
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Resilience, I think hanging them to dry might cause them to be stiff or rough (I find that with air dry stuff in general). To be perfectly honest, I have never done anything special with the shirts. I'm sure they have special care instructions but I decided early on that that was too much trouble given how often I would need to wash them. They just go in with the rest of the white wash, and then into the dryer. Come out nice and soft. They are all still perfectly wearable--no holes or tears. The only part that is starting to look thin is the shoulder straps because my daughter pulls them down very fiercely--she likes to turn the excess at the bottom up over the bottom of her brace.

Resilience
02-06-2011, 11:57 PM
"she likes to turn the excess at the bottom up over the bottom of her brace."

my daughter does the same thing!

thanks, I'll try the dryer.

KJD
02-22-2011, 11:30 AM
My daughter has the rigo cheneau brace from luke, we got 2 of the knit shirts to start but Jess prefers under armour from a sporting goods store, not as bulky.

2kids
12-22-2012, 03:14 PM
So is there a place to purchase the Knit Rite shirts? I am not sure if we can purchase them from Orthotic Solutions anymore. My daughter is 17 and insurance will no longer pay for them. The shirt she has are wearing out fast.

leahdragonfly
12-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi there,

I was able to purchase some online several years ago, but I can't remember where. Knit Rite was a website www.knitrite.com, where you might be able to get them.

If your current orthotist can't order them for you, I imagine another orthotic office could if you called around.

My daughter did eventually switch also to the Under Armour Heat Gear sleeveless shirts. They are very smooth and thin, and although they have a side seam it didn't bother her.

Curious, how much longer does your daughter have to wear her brace? I am surprised to hear of a 17 y/o still in a brace, since I thought most girls were done growing long since.

Good luck,

mariaf
12-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Curious, how much longer does your daughter have to wear her brace? I am surprised to hear of a 17 y/o still in a brace, since I thought most girls were done growing long since.

I had the same thought. I know some girls as young as 13 or 14 who have completed the majority of their growth. My daughter (no scoli) was done growing by around 14.

I realize that's just the average - so I'm guessing that perhaps the bone age is not 17 in this case - or that she is just a very late bloomer?

Just curious as well (and wish her all the best too)!

Pooka1
12-23-2012, 08:38 AM
There was a young adult woman on Fix's group who was wearing a Cheneau. She was in Europe. If she got it from Weiss we need to know that for future reference when his name comes up and his competence is discussed.

leahdragonfly
12-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi there,

I have also seen brace shirts sometimes available on ebay. You might need to search under a few different terms to find them (ie, KnitRite, brace shirt, brace undershirt, etc).

Good luck,