Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message from my dentist

Message from my dentist,
    When I sent my post update yesterday, I forget to share the message my dentist gave me. I had my regular 6 month dental cleaning appointment that I had made way out before my surgery. He didn't clean my teeth at this appointment because: Teeth cleaning releases alot of bacteria into your system and it could possibly cause some infection complications. He advised me to get the clearance from my surgeon first and also, he would advise to me to be pretreated with antibiotics prior to the procedure. This may be a practice isolated only to my dental clinic but it made sense to me and thought it was worth sharing.
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

that's interesting...my surgeon's office told me i shouldn't have "major" dental work for 6 months after surgery; i guess i'll ask about cleaning as well....thanks for the info!
    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
    Fused T3 - S1
    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
    Dr. Robert G. Viere
    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

I have a minor heart variation called mitral valve prolapse (the mitral valve is floppier than it should be). One of the impacts of MVP is that you have a slightly elevated chance of getting an infection in the valve, thus I have always been given antibiotics prior to any dental thing (even cleaning), as it's considered a "dirty" procedure (potential tissue damage in a non-sterile environment). Childbirth falls into the same category. You get a dose a couple of hours before the appointment and another a couple of hours after. Every dentist I've been to has known about this and considered it standard practice. It sounds like the same principle for post-surgical care.

Patricia
      Patricia
      Scoli Mum from New Zealand
      Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
      Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

i called my surgeon's office today to see what they would say re: my scheduled cleaning in january. sure enough, they want me to take a dose of keflex 1 hour before the appt. and 6 hours after...thanks for the info; i would never have thought to ask!
        Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
        T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
        Fused T3 - S1
        Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
        Dr. Robert G. Viere
        North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
        X