Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain meds

Hi all,
    In the last few weeks we have found out that I am allergic to hydrocodone, oxycodone, and now hydromorphone. Because I am still in a great deal of pain, this is a pretty huge problem. Also, we found out that with the latest break that much of the correction I had has been lost, and I have encountered some pretty strong rotation near the break, as well as the collapsed discs and all that jazz.

My latest allergic reaction was to hydromorphone. That happened last night. The only thing the pain management Dr could suggest is that I "just learn to deal with it". I asked about what will happen after the surgery, since dilaudid is now not an option, and neither is morhpine (which didn't work anyway). They said I would just have to deal with it then too. Having gone through the surgery, and one revision, I am pretty nervous about it.
    Anyone have any experience being allergic to morphine drugs?
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Hello, Fierceliketiger.

Your name says it all! What a bad rap for such a tender age! I have been on and off pain meds for the last 12 years or so. I developed an allergy to hydrocodone after several years of taking it. I had an unrelated surgery and told the doc that I couldn't take hydrocodone so he said, "I have something even better!" He gave me dilaudid. What a nightmare ensued! I turned all red and itched so badly I wanted to literally tear my own flesh off. It was horrible. They couldn't get the benedryl in fast enough. So, my point being is that you can develop allergies to these things, especially when you have to take them so much. Have you tried fentanyl or any of the other "synthetics"? I know fentanyl can be taken orally, by patch or by IV injection. It kills my appetite, and the patches quit working after about a month, but maybe if they gave you the oral on an "as needed" basis you wouldn't get that problem. I know many others on here don't like fentanyl, but it really sounds like you have some limited options here. Sorry to hear it.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

I thought they did an x-ray and your rod wasn't broken. How did this happen, again?
      Be happy!
      but we are alive today!

Comment

it appears that it was broken, but the pieces were lined up, so he missed the fracture. The second one broke sometime between June and August
        25 years old
        Anterior on 11/11/08
        fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Have you tried the synthetic narcotics? I think another one is nubane, but I don't know if it is administered orally.

Oh, and I'm wondering if they are trying to get too much correction on the spine which would put undue pressure on the rods??? Just a thought. Have you considered traveling to The Cities? I'd be afraid to go back to the same doctor after two surgeries already. :-(
          Last edited by rohrer01; 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Fierce--
            I can't believe there's more and more to your trials since surgery. Sure wish I could offer some relief and advice--afraid I don't know anything on this. Also if you can get into Mayo couldn't they help with this? Hang in there. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I am so sorry.

"Just learn to deal with it"??!!????!!!!! What sort of stupid "advice" is that???? After all you have been through, and all that you are going through. . .Let's see HIM live ONE WEEK in the pain you are in, and without any pain meds, and then ask him if his previous answer was a satisfactory answer.
              Last edited by mgs; 02-02-2011, 04:16 PM.
              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I'd like to say that to a lot of doctors that I've seen! Unless you live it, you can't really understand it.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Actually, I caught a break! I was supposed to go to the Twin Cities last month, but my insurance decided not to cover it. They would, however, cover the Mayo, but according to the Mayo Clinic, I am still not severe enough for them to consider seeing. Then, two days ago I got a call from my insurance saying that after MANY calls to them from my primary care doc, they decided to approve the visit to the Twin Cities. My pcp really went to bat for me on this one. I go see them on the 9th! 5 days from now!

The pain management doc's office called me yesterday to tell me that they have canceled all of my future appointments because he believes that he has nothing left to offer. It appears my allergy extends to all of the morphine drugs, and I am now back on steroids because I was taking one of them while I was treating the last allergy, allowing more time for the meds to build up in my bloodstream while masking the symptoms. I had a pretty hellacious day today (technically yesterday, but I havent been able to go to sleep) because of the no pain meds issue. Unfortunately I also have a history of bleeding ulcers, so anti-inflammatory meds are out as well. We even tried trans-dermal anti-inflammatories , and somehow I ended up with a rash from that. He did say that because of the new allergy to so many opiates that he was not interested in trying fentynal, which is the same class. I have never had this many issues with medications!

Thank you for all the kind words everyone, it really does mean a lot to me
                  25 years old
                  Anterior on 11/11/08
                  fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Wow, fierce.

I'm so sorry to hear this. They are going to HAVE to come up with some sort of solution for this. I'm just wondering if they will just have to pump you full of antihistamines and epinepherine and give you the pain meds anyway (for surgery, I mean). I don't know how anyone can live like that. I feel for you, girl! I'm trying to get insurance approval to go back to Twin Cities as well. I had to discontinue going there due to insurance reasons. I found a doctor in Madison that I thought would be good, but he didn't work out for me. It's nearly time for my recheck, so I want to go back to Twin Cities. I sure hope someone there can figure this all out for you ASAP. Best Wishes!
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Rohrer01, who did you see in the twin cities? I saw Dr Transfeldt yesterday (since its technically 2:30am), and really liked him. Not great news, looks like I have very little fusion, and an awful lot of non-unions, but I liked him nonetheless!
                      25 years old
                      Anterior on 11/11/08
                      fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

I saw Dr. Perra. He wasn't all that personable and it was a really loooong time ago and he did seem very thorough. I'm fighting with my insurance to try to go back and see someone there. I don't know if I will win or not. They certainly don't want to pay for this surgery, not that I'm quite ready to have it. My curve is still subsurgical as far as I know... I know they have a lot of SRS docs up there. Sorry to hear that there is very little fusion :-( Are they scheduling another surgery?
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

rohrer- I sure hope the insurance approves you! I hate insurance battles! (had another one this morning)

They will be scheduling another surgery.
                          I posted a fairly in depth update here:
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...he-new-plan-is
                          25 years old
                          Anterior on 11/11/08
                          fused t-10 to pelvis

Broke both rods again

Comment

Working...
                          X