No announcement yet.

Possible hernia caused during surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible hernia caused during surgery?

Hi everyone,
    I dont usually post but im curious as to whether anyone has had the problem im haivng.
    Im 3 months post-op and I was fused T2-L4, posterior fusion with costoplasty.
    My back looks AMAZING and I owe everything to my surgeon for transforming how I look.
    It was a 10hr surgery and he did say my spine was very stiff and very hard work so I am grateful that at the age of 45 my spine is straight!

After my surgery I was having excrutiating pain in my groin/hip on the side I had the costoplasty.It was so bad I couldnt walk for 5wks apart from getting to the bathroom.
    My surgeon said it was because he had done a lot of work in that area.

Once I started getting about more the pain eased but a lump has appeared in my groin, I googled it and its showing all the signs of a hernia :-(
    Its so painful when I walk which is hindering what I do-1st thing in the morning is especially painful.

I had my post op check last week and he jokingly said it wasnt him, but he examined me and said it could be a weak muscle and that we are to wait as its too early to say.

I went a walk yeaterday and it was so painful.
    Has anybody had this problem and is it possible to develop a hernia after this surgery due to all the pressure thats applied?

I would be grateful for any feedback on this.
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Hi...

Incisional hernias used to be relatively common with anterior scoliosis surgery, but newer, less invasive techniques have made them relatively rare. And, it sounds like you didn't have an anterior surgery. Was the costoplasty done from the front or the back?

I don't think hernias are any more common after scoliosis surgery than any other time, but it seems to me that constipation, which is very common after scoliosis surgery, could be the cause.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I did have one particular evening early in my recovery when I was probably over straining on the toilet as I was in a terrible way with constipation-an episode I would rather forget!
      The thing that makes me think this couldnt have caused it though is that as soon as I was home I had the most awful pain in my groin and hip-I would put a hot water bottle on it most of the day and night as this was the only thing that gave relief-this was all before I had the constipation episode.

My costoplasty was done through my posterior incision and I had 6 ribs cut in half.

I do feel this is connected to my hip also as my hip is so tight.I do try to stretch it out but its painful.Im worried as its making me not stand with that leg straight so sometimes I do wonder if its a weak muscle although I would be suprised if it caused a lump like that.

I think maybe it would be a good idea to see my Dr as he may have more experience with hernias.

Comment

Well I saw my GP and had a bit of a shock-I have a double hernia, one either side in each groin-just great!
        Hes says its congenital and not to do with my surgery but I just dont see how that can be right.Ive had two children, one was nine and a half pounds born so why didnt they shop up then?
        Why after 45 years and having had major surgery they decide to show themselves now?

More surgery to look forward to although I must admit if I can get through spinal surgery I can get through having these hernias repaired.

Comment

Well if the surgeon didn't make any incisions near the hernias then it can't be surgical incisions that caused them, yes?

That doesn't mean some aspect associated with surgery like constipation didn't cause them but it does mean the actual surgery did not.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, I know the surgery didnt actually cause the hernias as being congenital it means I was born with weak abdominal wall muscles in that area but to me it seems that the after recovery of the surgery has made the hernias present themselves.

Im wondering if it was the log rolling or the use of those muscles more when trying to become mobile? I didnt really strain through constipation, although I have done pre-op due to pain meds and they didnt show then either.

Comment

I agree with your thoughts.

I don't see how he can know it is congenital. Does congenital proneness to hernias even exist?

You have dealt with drug constipation and childbirth. Just based on watching my two daughters recover from this surgery, I can't imagine they strained themselves more that that during any part of the recovery. But I really have no idea.

Good luck.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                I agree with your thoughts.

I don't see how he can know it is congenital. Does congenital proneness to hernias even exist?

You have dealt with drug constipation and childbirth. Just based on watching my two daughters recover from this surgery, I can't imagine they strained themselves more that that during any part of the recovery. But I really have no idea.

Good luck.
                Thanks for that.
                I do wonder how a dr can tell its congenital, I have to take his word for that but I will be asking my surgeon more about why they have become present now after all this time.

Comment

Working...
                X