Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluid & pain in both elbows and both knees has developed since scoliosis surgery !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluid & pain in both elbows and both knees has developed since scoliosis surgery !

Hi had surgery Nov 10th so I am about 11 weeks post op. I got a large sac of fluid on my right elbow ( without bumping or using it any different ) and pain about a month or more ago. Since then my left elbow is getting the same. My knees have started to have such excruciating pain when squatting ( since I cant bend with my brace ) in the last week and a half, and they too have fluid in them now. I also have chills often randomly, but my temperature is always LOW, like 96.4 to 97.00 degrees. My legs ache and are jumpy at night now as well. I have read about bursitis and and was told by a Dr when just my right elblow got the fluid, that it is JUST common bursitis. I am worried about that conlcusion since I have never had this, now have it in all four areas, and was always very active and not over weight, and walking again 2 miles daily. I have not bumped these 4 areas. The only trauma has been my surgery. I am wondering if anyone else has had or has this problem and any information you could lend I would appreciate. I am wondering too if these Bursas ( fluid sacs ) can form near the spine after this surgery on the muscle ..? I have terrible upper back pain along the right side of spine and a small hard bump protruding there.
    Last edited by leannebr; 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM.

I would get in touch with your surgeon ASAP.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and worries. This surgery really has such a huge recovery. I am about 15-16 weeks out and I still have significant aches, pains, and some tender/sore areas. If your surgeon remains unconcerned I would see your regular doctor. Really your PCP would be the one to deal with the elbows/knees, and if your surgeon is unconcerned about the hard lump, your PCP may be able to at least determine what it is.

Any chance the hard lump is some prominent hardware under the skin?

Take care, and good luck. It does seem like each week is better, although at this point I want to be "all better"!!
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks for your help. I saw my family physician when it was just my right elbow full of fluid and she said it was Bursitis, not to worry. Now other elbow and both knees and difficulty bending them so maybe I should call her and go in again ? When I was in for the 1 elbow and the bump on my back and for pain, my family Dr said " I appear to have chronic pain", and she gave me 2 prescriptions for sleep, which I was happy about as I havent been sleeping. Filled them and learned they are both anti-depressents. Ok, so the answer is anti-deppressants for pain these days instead of finding the source ???
        I also called the on call spine surgeon last night for the fluid and he said very coldly " It isnt from your SPINE or your SPINE SURGERY."

I have Minnesota Care right now for med insurance and Dr's dont like this...Every office visit is short, abrupt and no interest in whats wrong or helping, and no time.

Comment

Working...
        X