scared...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scared...

hey guys.. i am 15 years old and i was just diagnosed with scoliosis and didnt get my Xrays done yet..
    i the doctors said i have a very slight curve to my back and just said to go get Xrays done so they could compare them to another Xray in about 6 months or so.
    I am very self concious and i can see the curve and that my shoulders are slightly uneven, but other people dont notice.
    what is going to happen ?
    i dont want to wear a brace all day, especially in school because i am so self concious and i dont want to get made fun of or anything. i just want to be normal.
    Am i going to need surgery?
    Or can a chiropractor fix this easily??

PLEASEEEEE some one answer me i am so scared and confused.. and i want my back to look normal!!!

thankks -- Olivia
    Just diagnosed with slight scoliosis ... barely noticable to others but VERY noticable to me

hi Olivia

i know it scary and strange to find out you've got a curve in your spine, and you've got lots of thoughts racing through your head but please, take a deep breath and try and relax.

Scoliosis is rarely an emergency situation; that is that they won't have you racing through all the channels without your feet touching the ground.

Wait until your x-rays come back, so you can find out how big the curve is and how its progressing (or likely to, they look at stuff in your bones and can work it out). then think about the next step.

Is your Doctor a G.P or is he an orthapaedic surgeon??. If your scoli needs bracing/surgery (if the curve is about 25 degrees they may explore bracing or above 50 degrees surgery) you'll be sent to an orthapaedic surgeon, or your parents might want to think about seeing someone who has experience in treating adolescent scoliosis anyway.

Your doc's wanting to do an x-ray 6 months later so he can monitor how its going, as x-ray is the best way to do this.

I personally do not trust chiropractors with a ten foot pole in relation to scoliosis (and anything else for that matter). From what I know, chiropractors can help with pain and stuff, but they can not "fix" curves. And you'd have to be very wary and careful going along that path.

No body is normal in this world. We all have our imperfections, whether they be physical, intellectual or personality imperfections even the most perfect of supermodels aren't entirely perfect. Thats what make people, people. I know that its difficult being 15 (I wasn't there too long ago myself :-) and trying to fit in and be like everyone else and that it is very hard not to be self conscious and worried about how you look.

but as you wrote, people don't notice your curve in your back. there's lots of things you can do to draw attention away from your back and instead to your face and who you are as a person. Experiment with clothing is always a good one, different shapes, patterns, designs. And as I think, people don't look at the body first, if the smile is on the face and the person has a wicked personality.

Remember always focus on the things you can control and do not worry about the things that are out of your control, such as curves in your back, rounded shoulders etc.

Best wishes, try and relax and do as much research as you can

Alison

Comment

Re: scared...

Hey olivia this is keri. I'm having surgery in january. im a little nervise but in the end it will all be ok! What r u worried about??? any thing you wanna know just post it and ill get back to you. Im also only 12 years old..... so if yu have any questions just post it ok ttyl!!!!!

KERI

Comment

Working...
      X