9 1/2 months out and infection check up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 1/2 months out and infection check up

Hi all - As I just wrote on radiogirl's post....I am feeling really good at 9 1/2 months post-op. Last April during my surgery I had gotten a major infection. Went to my infectious disease doctor this morning and things look good still. He is keeping me on strong antibiotic until the end of May. That will make a year of antibiotics!
    I had shingles in my back in December, once that healed and I quit my job early January, I am finally feeling really good!!!
    I have now started my own sales coaching and training business and am finding the flexibility I need in my life. My back improved immediately when I reduced my stress.
    For all of you going through surgery, in the early months of the really tough recovery, and/or fighting an infection I want to give you encouragement that every month gets better. And then all of a sudden when you look back over the months you realize how dramatically far you have come. So hang in there, it does get better. Take care of yourself.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

I'm glad your Dr. is not taking any chances. But it sounds like you've well and truly beaten it, given how well you feel. It's a good indicator. I agree stress doesn't help with healing. I also started my own business and am very happy working for myself at home.

Best of luck Shari, with your business as well as the infection.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks Jennifer. Good luck to you with your business too!
      Shari - 55 years old
      Post op 13 degree curve.

Comment

Hi,
        You saw a different type of Dr other than your surgeon for infection ? How did you know to do that and to go to an "infectious disease" Dr ? I have fluid sacs that have gradually formed on both elbows and now suddenly my knees and alot of pain in these areas and I found info online that it could be caused by an underlying infection.. I thought I should go to a reumatologist, but maybe I should see a dr like you saw instead ?

Comment

Shari,
          So sorry to hear of your latest issue with shingles. I have heard that is painful and debilitating. So true what they say about stress and how it can affect your healt - both physical and mental.

Good luck on your new journey with your career change!
          Laurie
          Age 57
          Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
          Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
          Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
          Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
          Dr Munish Gupta
          UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
            Hi,
            You saw a different type of Dr other than your surgeon for infection ? How did you know to do that and to go to an "infectious disease" Dr ? I have fluid sacs that have gradually formed on both elbows and now suddenly my knees and alot of pain in these areas and I found info online that it could be caused by an underlying infection.. I thought I should go to a reumatologist, but maybe I should see a dr like you saw instead ?
            I'm guessing that the spine surgeon made a referral to the ID doc. I've heard of lots of infections, but none have fluid sacs in non-affected parts of the body.
            --Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Leanne - forgive me for responding so late. You have probably already been to your doctor. But as Linda said....When my surgeon suspected an infection, about 3 weeks after my initial surgery, he put me back in the hospital. They re-opened my incision about 10" and cleaned the tissue and muscles. Once the type of infection was determined, 4 days in the hospital later, an infectious disease doctor came into to start treating me. My surgeon works with specific doctors. I then continue my treatment with him. This is a pretty key doctor and you need to have all confidence in them.

I did not have any sacs of fluid though. I also have not heard of this as a symptom. Good luck to you as they work on this. Most often blood work will tell you right away if you have an infection. At least for me it does. When I got shingles in my back in December, my blood work showed a drop in white count immediately. I watch my blood very closely now.

Hope this helps you or someone else and again I apologize for such a late response.
              Shari - 55 years old
              Post op 13 degree curve.

Comment

Working...
              X