PDA

View Full Version : 9 1/2 months out and infection check up

ShariMSU
01-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi all - As I just wrote on radiogirl's post....I am feeling really good at 9 1/2 months post-op. Last April during my surgery I had gotten a major infection. Went to my infectious disease doctor this morning and things look good still. He is keeping me on strong antibiotic until the end of May. That will make a year of antibiotics!
I had shingles in my back in December, once that healed and I quit my job early January, I am finally feeling really good!!!
I have now started my own sales coaching and training business and am finding the flexibility I need in my life. My back improved immediately when I reduced my stress.
For all of you going through surgery, in the early months of the really tough recovery, and/or fighting an infection I want to give you encouragement that every month gets better. And then all of a sudden when you look back over the months you realize how dramatically far you have come. So hang in there, it does get better. Take care of yourself.

JenniferG
01-28-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm glad your Dr. is not taking any chances. But it sounds like you've well and truly beaten it, given how well you feel. It's a good indicator. I agree stress doesn't help with healing. I also started my own business and am very happy working for myself at home.

Best of luck Shari, with your business as well as the infection.

ShariMSU
01-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks Jennifer. Good luck to you with your business too!

leannebr
01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi,
You saw a different type of Dr other than your surgeon for infection ? How did you know to do that and to go to an "infectious disease" Dr ? I have fluid sacs that have gradually formed on both elbows and now suddenly my knees and alot of pain in these areas and I found info online that it could be caused by an underlying infection.. I thought I should go to a reumatologist, but maybe I should see a dr like you saw instead ?

lray
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Shari,
So sorry to hear of your latest issue with shingles. I have heard that is painful and debilitating. So true what they say about stress and how it can affect your healt - both physical and mental.

Good luck on your new journey with your career change!

LindaRacine
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi,
You saw a different type of Dr other than your surgeon for infection ? How did you know to do that and to go to an "infectious disease" Dr ? I have fluid sacs that have gradually formed on both elbows and now suddenly my knees and alot of pain in these areas and I found info online that it could be caused by an underlying infection.. I thought I should go to a reumatologist, but maybe I should see a dr like you saw instead ?
I'm guessing that the spine surgeon made a referral to the ID doc. I've heard of lots of infections, but none have fluid sacs in non-affected parts of the body.
--Linda

ShariMSU
02-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Leanne - forgive me for responding so late. You have probably already been to your doctor. But as Linda said....When my surgeon suspected an infection, about 3 weeks after my initial surgery, he put me back in the hospital. They re-opened my incision about 10" and cleaned the tissue and muscles. Once the type of infection was determined, 4 days in the hospital later, an infectious disease doctor came into to start treating me. My surgeon works with specific doctors. I then continue my treatment with him. This is a pretty key doctor and you need to have all confidence in them.

I did not have any sacs of fluid though. I also have not heard of this as a symptom. Good luck to you as they work on this. Most often blood work will tell you right away if you have an infection. At least for me it does. When I got shingles in my back in December, my blood work showed a drop in white count immediately. I watch my blood very closely now.

Hope this helps you or someone else and again I apologize for such a late response.