Distended belly and Shallow breathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distended belly and Shallow breathing

Hi All....it's been quite sometime since I have been on this forum. Just staying busy with life. It has been a little over 3 yrs. since my surgery and feeling great. Only problem is, with my belly looking like I am pregnant. If I hold my belly in, it seems I am able to breathe better. When I leave it natural (distended) my breathing becomes shallow. Wondering if anyone else has this problem and any advise?
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Hi Debbie,
    I just had my surgery with Dr. Pashman 7 weeks ago. I had a T2 to sacrum fusion as well. My curves were 100T and about 60L. My stomach sticks out too much and the rib cage that was prominent before surgery still is prominent today. I was wondering the same thing... is my stomach going to go down sometime? It sticks out from under my boobs down to my pelvic area. So, you are 3 years post op and still have this problem?? How's your flexibility? and how long did you wear your brace after surgery?
    Thanks
    Pilar
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Hi Pilar

Your stomach will go down a lot. Most of it, esp. under your boobs, will go down. After just 7 weeks, it's pretty swollen still. My stomach was way way bigger because of the swelling. Everybody recovers differently too. This surgery does take time before you can do certain things. Don't get discouraged, it takes time to heal. I believe age is a factor also, for recovery time. As far as my brace, after my first checkup appointment (6 months) I didn't have to wear it anymore. I have lost some flexibility but you find ways and can still bend at the waist. I just bend my knees to pick things up, like we are supposed to anyways. I used my reacher for a long time. I have no regrets of the surgery! And, i feel great 3 yrs. later, except my belly still sticks out, just not as much. And it's really hard. Not sure if this happens to anyone else though. Hang in there! It definitely gets much much better!
      T2 to Sacrum
      Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
      Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
      Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

5 weeks post op and dealing with the same stomach issues

I just saw my surgeon, (dr. Lonner) for my first visit after T10 - L 3 fusion on 12/21/10. As far as my back goes all is good my lumbar curve was corrected from 63 to 19 degrees and my compensatory curve that was not fused went from 46 to 29 degrees on its own. I feel like I am getting stronger each day as far as my back goes and able to walk an hour each day on a treadmill.

My stomach on the other hand is killing me. The only reason I need to take any pain meds is because of the constant excuriating pain in my stomach from distention and gas. I am having regular bowels movement so it is not constipation. My surgeon said go to a gastro to rule out other problems. As far as they can tell there is no blockage just Extreme gas, bloating and pressure. He just put me on Creon 3 times a day. I look at least 8 months pregnant and although I have lost approx. 5 pounds since my surgery none of my clothes fit b/c of bloating and distention.

I am so miserable and uncomfortable I can not leave my house or do anything. I am praying this gets better, I can't live like this.

Any suggestions or other experiences are appreciated.

Katie
        41 yrs. old mom to 3 boys. 6, 4 and 2 yrs. old

Comment

Well, I was hoping for more replies on this thread. There has to be help for this somewhere, I would think.
          T2 to Sacrum
          Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
          Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
          Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Working...
          X