Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 months post op - new pain in lower back

Hi everyone-

I am currently 7 months post op and am starting to feel alot better. Each month my shoulder and neck problem from the surgery has seemed to get a little better. But, it has been VERY SLOW!!

Anyway, I have recently been doing so much more around the house than I had before my surgery. I don't get the pain I used to along my entire spine. However, last month and a half, at around 6 months post-op, I started to have this burning pain in my lower back on the right side. It is about an inch away from the center of my incision ( I was fused T3 - L3). When I put my hand back there, I feel a lump and when I touch the spot it really stings and burns. I went to a local orthopedic who I've been seeing for my neck and shoulder and he says it seems like "the spot" that is bothering me is the end of the rod. And now when I press back there it does seem like the end of the rod. I took 4 weeks of the treadmill because everytime I walked on it, it seems to aggravate this area of my lower back. Now 2 days ago I started walking on the treadmill again (very very slow) and my lower back is screaming. It hurts to get in and out of the car and sit. I do believe the rod is irritating a muscle back there. Has anyone else had this pain near the bottom of their rod? I am hoping this will go away. I would like to get back into exercising again. I am wondering why this pain popped up at 6 months post op and not earlier. It is very frustrating that I can't get any type of cardio exercise in since I will pay the price the next day with this new lower back pain.

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Jen

I’m not going to be much help since I’m fused all the way down but I did have an extreme pain episode at 22 months post down at my L4. My surgeon told me that it was a soft tissue injury, and finally I realized that I triggered it clipping my toenails. When your fused all the way down, the toenails are the extent of our reach.

I guess this proves that even at almost 2 years post, one can trigger or irritate soft tissues. Healing does happen very slowly after scoli surgery. I did take things very slow after that very scary event.

It might be time to have Dr B take a peek. Glad to hear your neck and shoulders have improved.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Jen

I have been thinking of you often, and wondering how you are doing. I am very glad to hear the neck/shoulder issues are resolving, but so sorry to hear of your new pain. If it started after you began on the treadmill, it sounds like maybe you are just overdoing. But, I agree with Ed, time to ask Dr. B. I have actually been emailing him with numerous pre-op questions, and he has been very responsive. Hope you get answers soon! Take Care.
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I think of you too, Jen (Hi Lorz)....

Down the road I am guessing that you will find that you have paved the way with some of your issues. Probably not a job that you would have signed up for voluntarily, but life is funny that way. Your neck and shoulder issues are my number one concern of surgery, since I already have some (I know you did not) and worry that fixing the back will make the neck worse. I'm so sorry about your new back pain, but now you have a history of something hurting and then resolving over time. I'm glad I've been reading the forum long enough to see how often that happens. Please know that we are thinking of you and rooting for you!

Hugs!
        Amy
        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
        Exercising to correct

Comment

Working...
        X