Those of you 1 year post op or close to it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of you 1 year post op or close to it

Hi! I am coming up on 10 months. I am very active, doing yoga about 3 or 4 times a week. I still have numbness and tightness in my back. Some days are worse and feel like the weather (cold, rain) effect it a bit. Will the numbness and tightness feelings subside with more time? Even though I have these feelings, I am still thrilled at my surgery.

Thank you in advance!
    Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

It did for me. At one year, even though the numbness and tingling had improved from immediately post-op, it has improved significantly at the 2 year mark. At this point, I hardly have any at all!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

one more point, the cold weather doesn't bother me nearly as much as the first two winters.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Mine has also gotten better with each passing year. I work at an elementary school and we haven't had outside recess as much as usual this winter, so I can't compare it very well... But overall you will find that things keep improving with each year.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

where do you each feel numbness/tingling? mine is still all the way down my left leg. still waiting for nerve test authorization. fusion is fine. you mean this could go on for 2 years??
          XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
          Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
          Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
          Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
          53 yrs old

Comment

Hi Laura, It's great to hear from you again. I am literally coming up on my one year anniversary and sometimes I feel tightness and sort of "tugging" and other times it's fine. I have some stiffness lying in bed and when I first get up. I still have discomfort from the one screw at the bottom (iliac?) and want to talk about getting it removed when I go back for a check up in March. That sucker is sore. I don't know if it's psychosomatic or not but I am minding the cold more this year too. Other than that, it's all good!!!

Was interested in your yoga experience. I know I need exercise esp. stretching but am so afraid I'm going to do something "wrong". What kind of yoga are you doing, does the instructor have experience with spine surgery patients, etc.?

When you think of where we were a year ago...Wow!
            Take care and keep healing!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Laura,
              Our Y has some Yoga classes, but I can't imagine doing many of the moves ever. I'd like to kno if you modify or if it's just a differerent type of yoga.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I recommend Svaroopa yoga. I have been going to classes, practicing in the house, and having private sessions (embodyments) for about 5 years. I am only 7 weeks post-op so I am not doing anything but the yoga breathing.

http://www.svaroopayoga.org/index.asp

The teachers customize all the yoga positions so you don't do anything to hurt yourself. I see a spinal twist photo that I know would be customized for those of us who can't twist any more.

You might want to check it out.

Comment

Hi Laura and the rest of my familiar scoli friends. It's been a while since I have been on so it was nice to see this post. I was right around your surgery time Laura. I am about 9 1/2 months and you describe so much of what I am feeling. So good to hear it will keep getting better. I feel like I have a new normal I am good with, but to know it will get even better is good news! The cold is real bad for me this winter in Michigan. Most of my Christmas gifts revolved around keeping me warm. The very best is a vest with heating elements in it. It is heaven to wear when I am outside for long. (Brookstone catalog)
                  Glad to hear all of you are doing so well.
                  Shari - 55 years old
                  Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                  Post op 13 degree curve.
                  Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                  2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                  Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                  www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hey all...I'm getting close to 1 year post op as well...I'm at about 10 1/2 months now. I still do have some numbness on the right side around my hips, I haven't felt much of anything there since the surgery. Other than that all is good and looking forward to my 1 year appointment where I hope my surgeon will release me to start golfing!

Nitram
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Thanks for this thread, Laura. I still have a large numb area, and it is reassuring to hear that I can still hope for improvement even beyond the one year point (thanks, Debbie). What is strange to me is that I can feel my muscles moving UNDER the numb skin level. The numb "layer" sometime feels like it's not part of me, like it's a fanny pack positioned on my backside.

It is good to hear that you are doing so well, Laura. Your one year anniversary will be here before you know it!
                      Kathy
                      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

I am encouraged by the previous posts. I am almost 4 months post-op, and just back to work a week and a half ago. I am very discouraged and frustrated at times, because I still have considerable daily aches and pains. I wake up in the morning stiff and achy, which improves after being up and around for awhile, hot shower and some tylenol. My back muscles are also pretty tired by evening time. Also most of my back is mildly tender to the touch. I have some right side rib pain, especially if I lay for too long on the soft couch. I went off all narcotic pain meds except tylenol about 6-7 weeks post-op, except for maybe 1/2 a tramadol once or twice per day. I am so tired of dealing with these daily discomforts, and thinking of my back daily. I am wondering when you all were able to move past the daily pain and start to not think about your back.

Thanks for letting me whine here! I was not mentally prepared for this type of recovery. I guess I am just way too impatient!

Gayle
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I know it can be frustrating that things seem to improve so slowly Gayle but try to be patient. I thought I felt good at 4 months and its nothing compared to now at 10.5 months...I feel so much closer to normal. It just takes time as everyone here keeps saying things keep getting better for a couple years. I guess we all just need to let nature take its course.

Nitram
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                          A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                          Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Working...
                          X