Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neurologic Injury - Rare, But it Happens

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2902,00.html
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

I can't get it to come up; can you copy the text into a post?
    Thanks!
    Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
    Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
    fusion T5-L3
    Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Millsy makes a dream comes true
      Jen Kelly
      30nov04

DIMITY Broadby's jaw dropped when Rob Mills helped grant the wish of a lifetime yesterday.

The 12-year-old was stunned when her Australian Idol favourite dropped into the Pancake Parlour to join her for lunch before a $3000 shopping spree.

The surprise visit and shopping trip, arranged by the Starlight Children's Foundation, came as a welcome ray of sunshine after a traumatic three months.

The keen netballer flew from Hobart in September for routine back surgery for scoliosis -- but will fly home a paraplegic.

Dimity's mother, Leesa Sexton, said the family was in shock after she emerged from surgery paralysed from the waist down.

"It obviously happened in surgery, but they won't say what happened," Ms Sexton said.

But Dimity is upbeat and defying doctors' expectations. She has begun to move her legs in the past few weeks and is determined to walk again. "I have a really good feeling in my stomach that I'll do it," Dimity said.

Yesterday's shopping spree and especially lunch with Millsy -- helped take Dimity's mind off her troubles. "I never thought this would happen to me," she said.

Dimity's haul included a mobile phone, DVD player, MP3 player and clothes.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks! Something to think about... do you know what the statistics are on outcomes like that?
        Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
        Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
        fusion T5-L3
        Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Hi...

I asked Dr. David Bradford at UCSF for the UCSF statistics a few years ago. At that time, I believe he said they had never had a scoliosis patient with permanent paraplegia (or quadraplegia). And, I don't remember ever seeing a reference to anyone permenently injured in such a fashion on any of the studies i've read. I'm guessing that it's probably something less than 1%. Unfortunately, if you're one of the rare people who have such an injury, statistics don't mean anything.

--Linda

Comment

Here's another one:

Finances tight at Challenge Center

Future uncertain for gym used for rehabilitation
            By Anne Krueger
            UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

December 3, 2004

SANDY HUFFAKER
            Tod Bauman, who had a stroke more than two years ago, worked out last month at the Challenge Center in La Mesa. The center has equipment for people with disabilities.
            LA MESA – The Challenge Center is facing its own challenge: a financial crisis that is endangering its future.

The center, located at the former San Diego Chargers training facility at Sunset Park, provides a place for people with disabilities to rehabilitate their injuries and get in shape, often after their insurance money has run out.

Because many of its clients have little money, the center relies on donations and grants for about 60 percent of its annual $350,000 budget.

Officials with the city of La Mesa and the Grossmont Healthcare District, both longtime backers, are questioning whether the center is economically viable. Plans to move it to Briercrest Park appear to be in jeopardy after center officials missed deadlines to complete a financial audit.

Director Bill Bodry, who founded the facility 17 years ago, said finding the money to run it is a constant problem. He's confident the center will weather this crisis.

"I'm really not sweating this," Bodry said. "We'll just have to scrimp and save."

To keep the center operating, the health care district has contributed more than $500,000 in grants and sponsorship of fund-raising events over the past five years. In August, the health care district awarded a $65,000 grant to the center.

Center leaders recently requested an emergency $25,000 grant, and a health care board committee is recommending denial, citing the grant earlier this year. The board will vote on the request Dec. 17.

Bob Yarris, president of the health care board and the Challenge Center board, said he has questions about whether the Grossmont district should continue to provide financial support.

Yarris said he must weigh his obligations as a health care district board member against his personal support for the center.

"I understand the incredible importance of what the Challenge Center does and more importantly, for the people who come through there," he said. "I don't know where those people will go if the Challenge Center closes."

The center has about 150 active members who use its equipment to get in shape under the supervision of two physical therapists on staff.

In addition to standard gym equipment, it has devices designed for people with disabilities.

Those who can't walk can stand in a sling that supports them while they are upright, giving them a break from sitting in a wheelchair. An aerobics machine is built so users can move their arms to get their legs pedaling.

Jesse Honl of Carlsbad said the center has given him new hope since he was injured in a 2002 rollover accident. He lost most of the feeling in his legs.

Honl, 24, exercises on an electrical-stimulation bike that prevents his joints and muscles from atrophying.

"If they figure out a cure, which I pray every day that they'll do, I'll be in good shape when it happens," he said.

Bodry, who has used a wheelchair since 1973, started the Challenge Center when his insurance company would not pay for his rehabilitation.

He became paralyzed after surgery to correct scoliosis, and for two years he was too depressed to participate in physical therapy. His body grew weaker, but when he was ready to undergo rehabilitation, he was told too much time had passed.

"It angered me. Two years – does that make me disposable? What do I do with me?" he said.

Initially, the center was in El Cajon, with cast-off equipment from fitness clubs. Five years ago, it moved to Sunset Park.

Bodry said modern medicine is now saving many accident and stroke victims, but the health care system is not well prepared to help them with the long-term effects of their injuries. Insurance companies typically cover only a few months of rehabilitation, he said.

Kira Bauman of National City began taking her husband, Tod, 62, to the center after he had to end his physical therapy sessions at Kaiser Permanente. Tod Bauman had a stroke more than two years ago.

"It's maintained his muscles. He's gotten stronger," she said. "It has been a wonderful resource for us."

The Challenge Center encourages stroke and accident victims to use their muscles and get in shape.

"In the public's mind, healthy disabled people is probably an oxymoron. Nothing could be further from the truth," Bodry said.

Since 1995, city officials in La Mesa planned to move the Challenge Center to Briercrest Park, an 8-acre site between Wakarusa Street and Murray Drive.

La Mesa Mayor Art Madrid said the city recently had to cancel its exclusive negotiating agreement to locate the Challenge Center at the park after center officials missed deadlines to complete a financial audit.

"Beyond serving the client base, they haven't been able to operate like a business," Madrid said. "Bill (Bodry) is a hell of a nice guy, but that doesn't cut it."

Madrid said city officials still want the Challenge Center at Briercrest Park if its financial situation is resolved.

"We embrace the center," he said. "Our relationship with the Challenge Center has been a very positive one from the very beginning."

Yarris said the health care district pledged $500,000 to the Challenge Center for construction of a new building, expected to cost up to $2 million, at Briercrest Park. That money is still available if the center is able to raise the other funds, he said.

Health care district board member Jim Stieringer said he strongly supports the Challenge Center and is confident the board will continue to back the organization.

"I would love to see us help them out," he said. "I can't think of any group that's more worthy of our support than the Challenge Center."

Comment

For every one horror story, there are thousands of success stories.

Gail

Comment

Gail...

Absolutely! The incidence of severe complications is very small.

--Linda

Comment

Working...
                X