Made the decision!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made the decision!

Hi Im Sarah been posting and reading for about a year now. Have decided to go ahead with the surgery. Its March 15 with Dr. Erricco at NYU. Anyone have any experience with him? I'm very scared but excited as well. I'm living in alot of pain and walking has become a chore. I love to workout, ride my bike and am very active and these activities are harder to impossible. I feel that my right rib cage has moved and it is very uncomfortable as well. So Im not as technically into the specifics but this is what I know: my thorasic curve is 38 (L) and my lumbar curve is 70 (r) I have stenosis, arthritis disc degeneration and I'm just a mess! Will keep posting as I get closer. Wish me luck!
    Sarahcant
    Surgery March 15
    Dr. Errico NYU
    Fused T-3 to S-1
    an inch and change taller
    nice and straight
    49 years old (yikes)

Hi Sarah,
    My curves are very similar to yours - my surgery is Feb 23 at Yale.

How old are you? I'm 38, very active and limber and work out 5 days a week. I'm working with my PT now on strengthening core and scapulars prior to D Day in hopes of improving my recovery time. I hope it helps me!

Be well
    Lily
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Sarah, I just had my surgery on January 10th. I am doing phenomenal. I, too was very nervous and counted on all the support and success stories here on the forum to help me through. Read my post "Hi from post op" last week to see my surgery results. Both my curves were in their 70's and my rib cage was sitting on my hip, also. I was in a lot of pain, and I can already say that it is gone. I have surgery pain, but the nerve pain, sciatica, and the scrunched up torso and rib cage pressure is GONE. It will help your surgery and recovery with you being active. I was very active up until these last couple years, and my doc says I have the bones of a young woman-I am 49! We will be here for you, and answer whatever questions we can help you with. Don't be shy! It is my turn to pay it forward- gladly!
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
      Non-fusion
      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

sarah good luck with your surgery on march 15th
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by sarahcant View Post
          Hi Im Sarah been posting and reading for about a year now. Have decided to go ahead with the surgery. Its March 15 with Dr. Erricco at NYU. Anyone have any experience with him? I'm very scared but excited as well. I'm living in alot of pain and walking has become a chore. I love to workout, ride my bike and am very active and these activities are harder to impossible. I feel that my right rib cage has moved and it is very uncomfortable as well. So Im not as technically into the specifics but this is what I know: my thorasic curve is 38 (L) and my lumbar curve is 70 (r) I have stenosis, arthritis disc degeneration and I'm just a mess! Will keep posting as I get closer. Wish me luck!
          Hi Sarah,

I just had surgery about 4 months ago with Dr. Errico and am very happy with my results. I think he is an amazingly talented surgeon and you are in very good hands. I'm sure you can tell by his confidence so far that you will be just fine. I also know how scary it is leading up to surgery.

I received a lot of advice prior to surgery and some tips about the Hospital for Joint Diseases in particular. I assume you are having surgery there, or otherwise NYU Medical Center..? Here are some of the top things I feel might be helpful and I'm more than happy to chat in more detail if you'd like - over email or phone!

Someone recommended I get my own room and I have to pay $390 per night - my insurance covered absolutely everything else. This was the best money I spent and 100% worth it. It was nice to not have to be distracted by other people in the room, nice to have visitors without bothering anyone else.. and most importantly I felt that I was kept away from any excess germs. I really underestimated how cautious hospitals are now about germs, especially trying to avoid infection after this type of surgery. I actually bought lysol wipes and had my hubby wipe down the room every so often!

People told me how awful the nursing care was at night but I found the day nurses to be fairly clueless and very distracted. My husband stayed with me the whole time which helped in case I needed to flag a nurse down . The night care was excellent. I had 2 nurses in particular that were absolutely amazing - Jessica and Larry - over the course of my stay.

Either way, I found that you had to really be on top of the nurses especially when it comes to eating and medications. Just be sure to ask a lot of questions and push back if you need to. For example I had a lot of nausea the first few nights and actually got sick a few times (not comfortable when you have no use of your back muscles). I really should have pushed for anti-nausea medicine from the beginning, and would recommend anyone else do the same.

I did very well in my recovery overall - I was getting off the couch by myself the 2nd day home. Yes of course it was difficult but it was everything I had expected from all of my research.

Please let me know if you would like to talk more. Best of luck and congrats on your decision!

-Jamie

Comment

trying to figure out how to reply to all of the posts! I am 49 and in good shape can you tell me what core excercises you did? Also Jamie I am sending you a private message....hopefully I can figure out how to respond individually or I guess I need you guys for that one too!
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            an inch and change taller
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Sarah, for scapular strengthening, I do high, low and mid rows with a resistance band wrapped around a doorknob. Also I do Ts, Ys and Is - lay prostrate face down, and put your arms straight out to your sides like a cross/letter T, with palms facing down. Lift your arms about 3-4" off the ground,then back down, slowly, while focusing on contracting the scapulars (middle of your back). Then move your arms up about 15* so that you are like a letter Y, with palms facing each other and thumbs facing up. Do the same movement. Then arms over your head like a letter I. Same movement. I do 3 sets of 15 each.

For core work, I do

1. pelvic tilts - about 100 at a clip. No lifting anything off the ground, just lay on your back with your knees bent, and practice trying to pull your belly into the floor. Release and repeat.
              2. High and low planks - here is a high plank and here is a low plank - hold each for 30 seconds, repeat as many as you like.
              3. Side plank: Hold for 30 seconds, back to high plank, then release.
              4. Dead Bugs - here is a video of how to do them. They're hard.

Hope that helps.
              Last edited by Lilysaidwhat; 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM.
              Female, age 38
              4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
              currently 64*upper/40*lower
              Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
              now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

hi Sarah
                Dr Errico has a great reputation in NYC, as i am sure you know...but i hope you got other opinions...just to hear all the surgeons agree on where your fusion should be...?

i sent you a private message...you should get a notice in your e mail that i sent it...

welcome to the forum....

jess

Comment

Sarah,
                  Welcome to the forum. I just had my surgery on Jan. 5,
                  While I am uncomfortable at times, it has been way better than I expected.
                  I was very active prior to the surgery which helped. Best of luck with your surety.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                  X