Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recovery at 3 and a half weeks

Hey all!

just checking in! i am seeing improvements every day, things like sitting up for an hour 4 times a day, walking for around 20 minutes inside, and going up and down my stairs 4 times a day.

i've only been able to cut back on the meds from every two hours to two and a half hours, but I think that's because i'm only on oxycodone and flexeril (the flexeril is one every 8 hours) not sure of the dose, too tired to go look right now lol. they do mess with my head though, i keep meaning to call my dr. to ask about getting tylenol added but i keep forgetting!

my initial swelling is finally going down, and a lot of the stiffness too. i do have a shoulder that is VERY tight, i can feel a knot the size of an egg yoke that is very sore. not sure what the best way is to relieve the tension. I take 2 hot showers every day, and they still help a lot with the pain, but that one shoulder can get very painful. i am excited to say that the terrible sciatica i had pre-op is gone from what i can tell!!!! so happy about that, even with all the other pain.

i am daily encouraged by your posts on here, especially the ones who have had a much harder surgery/recovery and are doing well after. i keep looking towards that 6-9 week mark and know i will get there soon! this week was probably the hardest because i'm a little more mobile and can really feel the time going by in slow motion. but like i've been encouraged by many of you, this won't last forever!

i really think the mental part of this recovery can be as hard as the physical. when i was feeling worse than this, i was so preoccupied with the pain i didn't really notice anything else going on. now that i'm not always feeling awful, i do notice the days going by and wish i was able to get out and do regular things. even having gone through 3 previous recoveries, i was not prepared for the challenge of keeping my spirits up over such a long period of time being stuck at home. i have found watching dvd's have helped occupy my thoughts, and having a "schedule" helps too. but i do get sick of watching tv.

anyway, don't mean to complain, like i said, there are so many of you who have it MUCH harder. if my biggest complaint is boredom, i'm very blessed!
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

"if my biggest complaint is boredom, i'm very blessed! " Yes you are and that's great! You sound fantastic for so early out.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hey Peachcrush, So happy to hear you're having a good recovery! Even in the best of circumstances this is a long, complicated surgery with a painful recovery, don't underestimate all you're going through. Even though you may feel like you want to do more, continuuing taking it easy and taking care of yourself will allow all those muscles to heal. I know too in the beginning of my recovery I was never alone, but after about 6 weeks I was feeling better, and others had to get back to their lives. I wasn't able to get back to work yet, not able to do my favorite hobby (tennis), and I wasn't spending alot of time in "scoliosis surgery research & prep mode", so I felt disconnected. I agree when you said the recovery is not only physical, but mental as well. I'm still amazed that I'm through the surgery and this far into recovery (almost 5 months). I hope you continue to have an awesome recovery, but it's a process, so hang in there!
      Debra
      Age 45
      Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
      Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
      Fused T4-T12
      Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
      Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I know what mean about being bored. I wish our house had a larger square footage to walk. I think by Fri. I will be able to walk outside. I wanted to go to the Y yesterday, but Kelly didn't sound too enthusiastic about it because of all of the germs. Yesterday, I was so bored. I put in a movie and slept the rest of the evening and didn't even get up for dinner. Well, never again. I think it might have been the longest night of my life with discomfort, going to the bathroom, and no sleep. I have a good friend visiting tomorrow so that will help.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hey!
          You gals have had major surgeries here and you both seem to be doing well for so early out! A positive attitude is incredibly important - it can't be stressed enough, and it seems as if you both have that!

The other issue is boredom. I can frankly say I am rarely bored but I think I felt restless. It was hard to find any comfortable position, sitting for very long or even lying down and the constant search for comfort was as tough mentally as it was physically. I needed distraction.

It was during that time that I rediscovered my love for birds! We installed a bird feeder on the deck and since I couldn't get out much I brought the birds (and squirrels) to me. Consequently I have some very nice photos and a journal that I made into a book for my dad.

So recovery wasn't wasted time at all. I just had to find different ways to be productive.
          Keep up the good work!
          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
          Achieved +70% Correction
          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
          New Spine 03/19/2009
          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

What a great project!

I wrote a very complete list of projects to do post op. Worked on it for a couple months before my surgery. It is organized by levels of difficulty-I told you guys I'm anal about organization!!! It helped to have a list going beforehand, instead of trying to think of things to do while I'm not as sharp and clear headed....

I am very fortunate to live in the mountains. We have hundreds of birds. A few days ago we had a flock of about 30 wild turkeys in the yard. MAN they are HUGE!!! It was pretty cool. We have lots of deer, squirrels, raccoons, even a black bear running around the area. So I can sit and watch any day, all day long. You even get to know the deer and their individual personalities. It is very peaceful and therapeutic to let my mind just relax for the first time in I don't know HOW many years! No work stress. It is wonderful. Keep looking at the positives of the recovery!!!
            Jenee'-52
            Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
            Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
            I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
            9 hours
            T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
            Non-fusion
            Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Walked Outside-Yeah!!!

I walked quite a ways with my husband outside for the first time since my surgery on Jan. 5. Our sidewalks finally are dry, thank goodness. It was so nice to get fresh air, blue sky, and sunshine, although it is only about 40 degrees. Several people I know stopped to tell me how well I was doing. I am so happy to be finally "on the other side". I probably aged 5 years for all of the worrying pre-surgery . . . .what if this or what if that happens? I know I have months of recovery ahead of me, but all we can do is follow the doctor's orders and hope for all positive results. I am going to talk to Dr. Lenke's office Mon. about reducing some of the pain meds. I'd like to have enough concentration to start reading again. My biggest complaint is an extremely dry mouth, expecially at night. I go through 2 bottles of water and then naturally I'm up going to the bathroom a lot. I think I'm almost ready to go out to eat with some friends as long as we don't sit too long.
              Best of luck to everyone.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

You're doing great Karen, I'm sure you realise this. To be feeling like you're ready to go out at this stage - WOW!

Do you feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from your shoulders after such a long wait for surgery? For me, it was a wonderful feeling.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X