PDA

View Full Version : IV Nutrition Support & Weight

LaurieAnne
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Did you receive continuous IV nutrition support during your hospital stay? If so how did this affect your weight? I had the iv nutrition for the entire hospital stay (7 days) and only lost around 4-5 lbs thus far. I am just curious if the IV nutrition was the reason I haven't lost more. I haven't been eating a lot as I'm still on pain meds and they mess with my appetite. I am just wondering if everyone receives this IV nutrition or not and if not what is used to determine who gets it.

Thanks for your responses!

CamsMomKelly
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
My son recieved the iv nutrition he lost about 10lbs during the first 2 weeks, we had hard time getting him to eat /drink after surgery is why they started him on it. Then it took about 2 days after they quit the IV before he actually ate a little...He is now 4 mons post op and has gained the 10lbs back and eating/drinking with no problems :)

LisaB
01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
I had it. Mine was 1200 calories. They gave it to me until I got solid food which was a day or 2 before I got released. I lost about the same amount of weight- 4 or 5#. After being released from the hospital I didn't have any trouble eating and didn't lose any more weight. Haven't really gained any excess, probably due to the walking.

LisaB
01-20-2011, 10:31 PM
OK. Ir looks like a St Louis thing!

golfnut
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I was also getting lots of calories through the iv. It would have been more fun if it had been in the form of chocolate cake. I weighed 6 more pounds when I git home. I was hoping to lose about 10 pounds.

LaurieAnne
01-22-2011, 06:39 PM
I was also getting lots of calories through the iv. It would have been more fun if it had been in the form of chocolate cake. I weighed 6 more pounds when I git home. I was hoping to lose about 10 pounds.

Ha totally agree about the chocolate cake! I actually didn't weigh for a week or so after I got home but when I did I'd only lost about 5 lbs. You probably just have a lot of fluid retention and swelling. I bet it goes away as your body heals. Keep walking :)

JenniferG
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't think I had IV nutrition support. I was eating on day 2 so I guess I wouldn't have needed it. I didn't lose a gram and I'm the same weight now as before my surgery. People said I looked skinny but I think it was just that I was stretched out almost 2 inches.