Recovery & Wii Fit - anyone try it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery & Wii Fit - anyone try it?

I still have 5 weeks until D-Day but am trying to look ahead to recovery.

Has anyone tried Wii Fit post-recovery? There are marching, balance, etc. games that I thought may be fun to add into my recovery efforts.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Video games show up in the news every once in a while as having positive affects on a lot of different conditions (this is my field so I tend to pay attention whenever there is the rare positive press). The regular Wii has been used for rehabilitation of motor control, like with stroke victims. And video games in general have been used in children's hospitals to help with pain relief. Apparently it's more than just a fun distraction, something about the way it affects your brain actually alters the perception of pain (not my field so excuse the generalization).

The most recent medical news specifically about the Wii Fit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...g-Wii-Fit.html.
    1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
    2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lily-

I've been using the Wii for about a month now. It helps me to keep moving when it's crappy outside. The boxing and bowling happen to be my favorites. I've noticed that I bowl differently than I used to because my spine will not twist (obviously).

It may be a while until you feel motivated to use the Wii after surgery, but just be careful not to over do it.
      Tiffany K
      I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
      4'11", never braced
      Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
      T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

I have a feeling I will overdo it regularly. I'm very Type A and very driven to get this the hell over with and back to my life.

It's probably pretty clear that patience is not my strong suit. This will be a learning experience in that respect, as I can't sit still.
        Female, age 38
        4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
        currently 64*upper/40*lower
        Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
        now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

The very best thing to do right after surgery is walking because it's weight bearing without stress. You really have to be careful in the beginning about not pulling or straining muscles that have been cut and/or rearranged by spine surgery. They need to be warmed up gradually and gently -- at least that was the case for me.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
          X