PDA

View Full Version : Recovery & Wii Fit - anyone try it?

Lilysaidwhat
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
I still have 5 weeks until D-Day but am trying to look ahead to recovery.

Has anyone tried Wii Fit post-recovery? There are marching, balance, etc. games that I thought may be fun to add into my recovery efforts.

livingtwisted
01-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Video games show up in the news every once in a while as having positive affects on a lot of different conditions (this is my field so I tend to pay attention whenever there is the rare positive press). The regular Wii has been used for rehabilitation of motor control, like with stroke victims. And video games in general have been used in children's hospitals to help with pain relief. Apparently it's more than just a fun distraction, something about the way it affects your brain actually alters the perception of pain (not my field so excuse the generalization).

The most recent medical news specifically about the Wii Fit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1346557/Woman-diagnosed-Parkinsons-noticing-symptoms-playing-Wii-Fit.html.

TiffanyK
01-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Lily-

I've been using the Wii for about a month now. It helps me to keep moving when it's crappy outside. The boxing and bowling happen to be my favorites. I've noticed that I bowl differently than I used to because my spine will not twist (obviously).

It may be a while until you feel motivated to use the Wii after surgery, but just be careful not to over do it.

Lilysaidwhat
01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a feeling I will overdo it regularly. I'm very Type A and very driven to get this the hell over with and back to my life.

It's probably pretty clear that patience is not my strong suit. This will be a learning experience in that respect, as I can't sit still.

Singer
01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
The very best thing to do right after surgery is walking because it's weight bearing without stress. You really have to be careful in the beginning about not pulling or straining muscles that have been cut and/or rearranged by spine surgery. They need to be warmed up gradually and gently -- at least that was the case for me.