sudden right hand weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sudden right hand weakness

does anyone have any experience with hand weakness?

i shoveled a path for my dog (& cat) outdoors in the big (2 feet) snow storm Wed AM, early...
    went back to bed...

awakened 4 hours later...my right hand was weak...still is...no change
    NO numbness or tingling...just weakness.....hard to write or brush my teeth ...difficult to lift a half gallon container, etc...i am right handed

am seeing GP Monday....i do not think i had a stroke episode, whatever they call it...but can't figure it out...

no other symptoms...

searching internet...found a few mentions of relation to herniated discs, which i have...
    but this has NEVER happened before!

any replies much appreciated!
    jess

Hey that sounds annoying!

The only thing I can say is that Linda or someone posted where the nerves come out of the spine for which parts of the body and I think I recall the arm/hand being extremely high like at the base of the neck or at the top of the thorax. Did you hurt yourself there? If not then maybe you injured a nerve somewhere in your arm that goes to the hand. Your doctor will know.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

thanks, Sharon...you might be right...if i injured myself, i didn't feel it at the time...
      all i can think is maybe i did something while shoveling for Sparks and Cat...i wasn't out there long, but the snow was deep...

it was so weird, waking up with it!

thanks for the suggestion...guess the GP may refer me to another doctor...my upper back rarely acts up, with the botox shots...
      i hope it is just a muscle thing...that will get better with time...

jess

Comment

Maybe you slept on it wrong.

By coincidence, I woke up a few days ago and my right arm was weak and actually pained me. I was a little worried what it was but I was pretty sure it was how I slept because I remembering being too tired to move my arm away.

Anyway, I couldn't lift the milk that morning and I took Ibuprofen. After several hours it was still slightly weak but didn't hurt. It took 2 days to get back to "normal" and I use quotes because I just triggered the same nerve pain again tonight unloading groceries. Not enough to take a pill though.

Sorry to go on and on about my arm on a thread about your hand!

I'm just suggesting I think it will resolve soon if it is like my deal. I hope so... you are over your limit on pain for a life time.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I'll bet it's related to the nerves in your wrist and/or hand, not your back....almost like a carpal-tunnel thing....from gripping the shovel tightly. I've had similar episodes under those circumstances. Hope it goes away on its own.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

thanks, guys...

Chris, i think you may be right...i think it was from the shovel, from lifting the snow...the muscles top of my forearm are sore on right arm...i don't remember what muscle that is called...but it is sore to the touch...

Sharon, i hope your hand gets better! i think rest is needed...

it is just weird, because so far, no change in the weakness....
            i don't think anything will show up on an X ray of any kind....

i dropped a half gallon of lactose free milk i keep for naughty Cat...thank goodness it was over the sink!

don't think there is anyway to find soft tissue injury to muscles....??
            i'll ask GP Monday....

appreciate the replies...
            jess...Sparky...and Cat

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1292298612

Comment

Jess,

My husband irritated the ulnar nerves in his hands a few years back by participating in a road biking trip, so it was hundreds of miles of gripping the bike handles. He had similar symptoms and also had cramping of his hands. It took a long time to heal, but this was after three weeks of consecutive days, many hours a day, with a "competitive" component.

Those nervy nerves...This getting older thing is for the birds! Hope it gets better, Jess.

You too, Sharon!
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                Maybe you slept on it wrong.

By coincidence, I woke up a few days ago and my right arm was weak and actually pained me. I was a little worried what it was but I was pretty sure it was how I slept because I remembering being too tired to move my arm away.

Anyway, I couldn't lift the milk that morning and I took Ibuprofen. After several hours it was still slightly weak but didn't hurt. It took 2 days to get back to "normal" and I use quotes because I just triggered the same nerve pain again tonight unloading groceries. Not enough to take a pill though.

Sorry to go on and on about my arm on a thread about your hand!

I'm just suggesting I think it will resolve soon if it is like my deal. I hope so... you are over your limit on pain for a life time.
                I've been having this same thing happen almost daily from sleeping on my shoulder wrong. I guess I am a secret side sleeper- always start out on my back, and now when I shift on to my left side- it constricts my left shoulder, it just gives out on me for part of the day. It just doesn't work properly. I've been thinking of going to a shoulder guy lately. The line-up. I don't have enough time or money to go to all these body parts docs.

Glad you started this thread, Jess, although not glad you are having the hand weakness.
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

hey Amy
                  thanks for the kind words...yeah, aging is just great! so many surprises! too many nasty ones, though!

i hope your shoulder feels better...sounds like you need something to anchor you when you are sleeping!

i am searching internet for simple anatomy of muscles of forearm...a lot of complicated pix and paragraphs very hard to understand!

jess

Comment

I experienced similar weakness in my left hand which turned out to be related to a bulging cervical disc, aggravated by awkward positioning for a minor surgical procedure. I'd drop things unexpectedly (several broken coffee mugs . . ), had some numbness and tingling in my fingers and pain across the top of my forearm just like you described. I had an epidural which helped a lot and now when it bothers me, I use voltaren gel on my neck which is surprisingly helpful.

Comment

hi gardener
                      thanks for the reply...

the weird thing is...numbness or tingling...i know what that feels like, but with this, it is just weakness!

and welcome to the forum!

jess...and Sparky...and naughty Cat

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...phaomegaPC.jpg

Comment

Cute cat!!!!!!!

That appears to be a cuddly, NOT "naughty" kitteh.

Did you post the wrong photo? (smiley face)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

no...he is cute naughty...funny...

he and Sparks tussle every time they see each other, but husband says they are playing...

i love both my little guys...10 pounds, evenly matched...funny to watch, a total joy!

jess

Comment

Working...
                          X