Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy to be home

Hi, Everyone,
    My sister in law read all of your nice comments to me in the hospital. I think she told you that Dr. Lenke was really proud of the correction I got. The spine had more arthritus than he thought and it took 10 hours instead of 8. I am now 3 inches taller. I was definitely out of it off and on the first day. The surgery was on the 5th and I came home on the 11th. Everything would be perfect if I could just get my bowels moving again. Maybe tonight . . .I am so bloated that I could pass for someone 8 months pregnant.
    I'm drinking hot prune juice, eating Fiber One, Colace, Senna. I'm about ready to try the magnesium citrate.
    I think I'm walking pretty well. The PT told me I was way ahead of a 20 year old that had the same surgery the same day. My husband said "No wonder, she's very competitive." I showed John my signature that said "wonderful husband" and told him I didn't have to delete it when I came home. Just kidding. He's been the best!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

I just noticed my signature says age 6. Must of been out of it when I did it yesterday.
    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Congratulations Karen!!! That's SOOOOO awesome to hear that you too got such great results! I feel your pain with the constipation. It's from the pain pump we were on in the hospital. Once the initial stool passes it gets A LOT easier if you manage it. Personally I take docolace (2x day), miralax, and citraprune (gentle laxative from walgreens). I recommend keeping enemas on hand too. It will get better but I feel the miralax makes a big difference in keeping you regular while on the meds. I'm off percoset but still on the oxycotin and muscle relaxers. Everyday will get a little better and though we have a long road ahead it will get brighter and brighter! Thank God for answered prayers!!!

Take care!
      Laurie Anne
      Age 30
      Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
      Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
      Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
      PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
      5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
      1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Welcome home!

Karen,

I'm so happy to hear you are doing well. As LaurieAnne mentioned try Miralax, that really works well. I mix it in orange juice and you don't even taste it. It really does help. I feel it's better than Milk of Magnesia as it doesn't make you have to hurry to the bathroom, especially when it takes time to get up, put the brace on and get into the bathroom. I felt 8 months pregnant as well but that will start to go away. It's just so darn uncomfortable. You think it's going down, and then you drink or eat something and it's back. Once your bowels are on track, you will start to feel better.

It's so great you are home and on the road to recovery. I'm just five weeks post-op and I am doing really well. You'll see a difference week to week. When you look back you'll see what strides you made. I wish you the best!
        LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Karen,

I have been following your situation since last spring when you were still making your decision and worrying about whether you would play golf again. And I remember chatting with you about all the stuff with Joy, and when your surgery got postponed. Sooo...I am so relieved and happy to hear that you are home safely and got a good correction!!! I was thinking about you and hoping everything would go smoothly.

On a side note, I booked my own first appointment with Dr. Lenke this week, so I'll be following you down the road to "the other side" in a year or so!

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Karen--
            It's so great you are home and doing quite well--except for the usual going problem I don't think anyone ever escapes. So glad it went so well for you--3 inches--Wow! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Glad you're home, Karen. I did mag citrate and after that I was fine with the Senna S, Colace , prune juice and raisin bran. That bottle of mag citrate gets you started though. Just close your eyes and chug it!!
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Wonderful that you are safely home, Karen! Stay warm! I'm amazed at your 3inch growth...wow! My advice is to start the Miralax asap (smiley face).
                Kathy
                46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

This is a great thread. Once you get "going" it will be even better, Karen.

I wonder if anybody ever escapes the dreaded constipation?
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hey Karen
                    so happy you are home and healing...

bet the puppies are too, right?
                    who was happier to see each other...you or the doggies?

jess...and Sparky

Comment

congrats Karen!

welcome welcome home; i was positively EUPHORIC to get the hell out of there
                      i won't expect anything for at least a couple wks but look forward to how your experience went

i was a little constipated and this was the first time in my entire life; i discovered what it felt like and it's not fun but mine resolved quickly, the others have given you good advice but, in addition, the more you walk the quicker it should resolve; also, i remember how difficult it was to eat - u just gotta make yourself

separate from the constipation is the bloating; mine went away gradually over 2 -3 2ks; other than walking, not much you can do about it

but you are HOME SWEET HOME in relatively quick time so i conclude that there were no major problems and it's all a matter of time
                      junosand
                      59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                      schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                      with titanium cages
                      Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Glad to hear you're home! I hope you're able to get that bloating under control quickly. I feel like a different person now that mine is gone. It took me a while to figure out how much fiber to eat and I'm still taking ducolax once a day, but at 2 weeks and 4 days post-op, my stomach is not so bad! I really think the bloating and constipation is the worst part of recovery.

Anyway, glad you're out of hospital!
                        Rebecca
                        Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                        wore night bending brace as teenager
                        Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                        herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                        fusion L2-3 November 2008
                        Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                        Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                        Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                        gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                        Before and After X-rays
                        My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yea! Congrats on being home!!! My recovery seemed to fly once I was home! Hope yours does too. You may need that mag citrate to get the initial BM and kickstart your system! Good luck and congrats!!
                          Heidi
                          35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
                          60 degree thoracic
                          44 degree lumbar
                          Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                          Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                          1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
                          fused T1 to L1

Comment

Karen,
                            I'm so glad you are home and in the healing phase. You will be feeling better soon. When you are resting, just imagine yourself hitting that little white ball and before you know it, it will be your reality again.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

LisaB, I took your advice and chugged the Magnesium Citrate. What a relief! I bought it weeks ago just in case I needed it and it seemed to be the only thing that worked.

It is so nice to be home. I just took a nap with my little dogs curled up with me. John has been catering to my every need. I may stretch this out longer than necessary. Actually, I am going to have to force myself to be patient. These walking laps in the house are a little boring and I hope to go to the Y or school next week for longer walks. I've got to get the hair washed first!

I forgot to ask about walking up the stairs to increase my indoor track route. Were any encouraged or discouraged from walking steps? I guess I should call.

Thanks!
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Working...
                              X