Pilates Reformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilates Reformer

Question for those who have used the pilates reformer. I went for a complimentary session and feel like it would be good for me. Normally they are now $65 dollars a session! They have a "deal" now for 13 sessions which is about $580. Awfully expensive but I can see why you need a trainer with you. I found an old thread on this & got some good info--just wonder if anyone else has done this lately.
    Is it worth the money? Since I'd only do one session does it stay with you? Do they give exercises you can do on your own after? Even just this one session showed me how pathetic my abdominals were & I thought I had really been working on it! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Janet,
    I would suggest that you see if you can talk to the Physical Therapist affiliated with Dr. Lenke's office first. I met with her last June when I was in St. Louis to see Dr. Lenke. I had just finished for the first time a course of treatment with a person who is supposedly certified for Pilates/Rehab.

When I told the therapist some of the exercises that trainer had me doing, she was horrified. She specifically told me not to do any leg presses.

What has been frustrating to me during the past 10+ years, having been through probably 7-8 different physical therapists, is that each one contradicts the previous therapist in terms of what I should/should not be doing. I think there's very few who really know what to do with someone who is fused to the sacrum.

Good luck to you.
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

haven't had surgery..yet...
      a few years ago, my trainer in NYC told me not to use the reformer...ever...that it would do damage to my back with the scoli and disc problems i already had...

jess

Comment

I am certified in Pilates, and what actually inspired me to become certified was doing Pilates exercises on the reformer as part of my rehab post-op. It helped me sooo much! I was a total weakling coming out of surgery, and nothing helped me more in terms of rebuilding my strength and regaining my mobility. I'll be 2 years post-op this spring and still do Pilates 2-3x per week, and I can happily say I have NO pain at all and feel stronger than ever... I actually discussed with my surgeon working with him to use Pilates as a means to help rehab his patients, both pre- and post-op.

Anyway, Pilates is very safe, helpful and effective when done with a certified instructor. Pilates was actually developed for injured and/or bedridden soldiers returning from the war, so it's extremely low impact and the motions are non-jarring on the spine. I recommend the Pilates Cadillac, Reformer, and Chair for working post-op.

Comment

Working...
        X