PDA

View Full Version : Neck Surgery Thursday

mbeckoff
01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Just wanted to tell everyone that tomorrow at 7am, I am going for my neck surgery. I am so hoping that this will get rid of my daily headaches and my left shoulder pain.

Melissa

loves to skate
01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Good Luck Melissa. You deserve a good outcome. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Sally

mbeckoff
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks Sally

Doodles
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Melissa--
You are overdue for some good luck. Here's hoping and praying mightily that it goes well for you!! Janet

trulyaries
01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Thinking healing thoughts for you.

debbei
01-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Good luck Melissa, you will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

JenniferG
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
If deserving has anything to do with it, it will be a great outcome Melissa. I'll be thinking of you wishing you all the very best.

mbeckoff
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your good wishes and prayers

Melissa

titaniumed
01-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Melissa

I sure hope this gives you some relief. You have not had an easy recovery.....

Ed

Confusedmom
01-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Sending good thoughts your way! Post as soon as you are able.

Evelyn

mbeckoff
01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your good wishes

I certainly hope that this will gove me some relief

Melissa

foofer
01-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Really hope this solves all your problems, Melissa. Take care and get back to us as soon as you can post!

mbeckoff
01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
On 1/15, I went into the hospital to have 3 discs fused. This was either same day surgery or one night . well, I finally left the hospital on Friday January 23. And no I did not get to go home. I am now spending the next week or two in a rehab because after you spend a week in bed, you are so weak that you cannot do anything. After the initial surgery was done, my left arm began to swell and my hand could not even open. Thursday PM, I had a MRI done and the Dr went back in Thursday night and did another 3 hr surgery. He opened up the canal around the area which was causing my left hand to swell and generally be unusable. While he was doing that operation, either he nicked my spinal column , full of spinal column fluid or I had a bone spur that did it. Anyway, I had to have a spinal tap done to place a drain there and then I had to lay as flat as possible. I cannot lay flay on my back due to my sociolis surgery last year. It was such an enjoyable week. Now I am in a rehab facility where they will work me for 4 hours a day of PT and OT .

Melissa

hdugger
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Oh Melissa, I am *so* sorry you had such a difficult time of it. It sounds awful.

I am glad that they got everything sorted out and that you can finally begin to heal and put all this behind you.

Lilysaidwhat
01-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Good lord Melissa. I'm SO so sorry and wishing you some relief from all of this.

jrnyc
01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Melissa, i am so sorry all this is happening to you...sorry isn't even a strong enough word!

i am glad that you are in a rehab where will be people to help you and at least are not alone...
i hope the therapies really help you function 100% again!

jess

Susie*Bee
01-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Melissa-- praying that everything will be "up" for you from now on out. You've been through so much. It's time for a change in direction! Sending lots of gentle hugs! Susie

mgs
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I am so, so, so very sorry that everything has gone so very miserably. I add my good wishes and prayers that the situation turns itself around, and you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

jeneemohler
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Oh my gosh!!! You poor thing. I sure hope this is IT for you. You certainly deserve a break. I hope this time next year this will all be a bad memory, and you will be doing awesome. You are in our thoughts!!! Keep us posted, please. As well as you can, under the circumstances.

Elisa
01-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Such a rough go for you and I hope it gets much better from here on in b/c it sure sounds as though you've been through enough already.

Doodles
01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Melissa--
This seems so unfair. I'm so sorry about this. I hope they have things figured out so that you can start to heal. Best wishes and know there's a lot of people here for you. Janet

golfnut
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Melissa,
You will be in my thoughts and prayers. You are well overdue for success.

JenniferG
01-25-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear this news. I've been coming here daily to see if there're any posts from you, feeling more and more uneasy. This has all been so unfair. As others say, you're overdue for some really good luck, and I hope this is forthcoming in the very near future. Sounds like you're on the up and up now, and I hope this surgery helps you overcome the terrible pain you've been in for so long.

Good luck with the remainder of your recovery, Melissa!

boopy1
01-25-2011, 05:06 AM
So sorry! Hope all goes well in rehab.
I went after my initial surgery for pretty much all the same complications. It was the best thing I could have done. In fact when you go home (if insurance covers) get some @ home also. They have a differant perspective and it really helped me alot. Good luck!
Donna

lray
01-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Oh my goodness Melissa, so sorry to hear of your latest complications. I hope that you are feeling so much better soon.

debbei
01-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope things improve for you quickly. You will be in my prayers.

jChris
01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear that you have been through so much. I just wanted to let you know that I had 3 vertebrae fused in my neck prior to my scoliosis surgery. My neck is now pain free and I no longer have to take medication to relieve the neck pain. I wish you a similar result after you work through your complications. Take care.

mbeckoff
01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Hello everyone . Thanks for the good wishes . I am being discharged tomorrow. It will be nice to be home . My cats miss me. While I was at the hospital, one of our pet goats had to be put down.It will be odd to walk into their pen and see only two goats . I will going home using a walker which I didn't want to do. I have excerises to do that should strengthen my left hand. I am angry that I cannot do what I want to do. But there is no point on dwelling on things that I cannot control. Thanks for listening and thanks for caring.

Melissa

jeneemohler
01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Melissa, I am so glad you are home!!! It sure is a wonderful feeling to walk in your own entry door and into your own bedroom. I hope you do better and better, with you being home now. I sure feel I progressed leaps and bounds once I got home. And my kitty missed me too! She won't leave my side and has purred for days. I am sorry about your goat. We had a goat named Toro (he was our lawnmower!) and he had to be put down, too, due to some genetic disease he had. Darn critters just wrap themselves around your heart, don't they? Anyway, WELCOME HOME!

jrnyc
01-26-2011, 11:49 PM
so glad that you will be going home...
i hope you can get PT/OT services at home...

thoughts and prayers, Melissa...until you are better...
and one day at a time...

hugs and woofs...and a meow...
jess

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j439/jrrnyc/cid_AB5DF5C2D28F4E199E7C571A338AA803alphaomegaPC.j pg

foofer
01-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Melissa,

Wow, you have had such a tough time. I hope there will be light at the end of the tunnel with your arrival home. You deserve it. I send you all my best wishes for a full recovery once-and-for-all. Hope to hear that you are feeling well soon. Hugs...

mbeckoff
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. I am glad to be home
Melissa

JenniferG
01-28-2011, 03:55 AM
How are you feeling Melissa? If it's not too early to ask this question, do you think some of your old pain has gone? Thinking of you and sending all the very best to you for an easy recovery and the ability to get on with your life, pain-free.

mbeckoff
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
I have been home since Thursday. Friday night about 8pm my pain got so bad that my daughter drove me to our local hospital. Finally , after about 2 hrs, they gave me a shot of toderal. I was so happy that it broke thru my pain and I was able to get some sleep. Now, my pain level is much better. It is back to what it was before I had my surgery. I have been seen for an OT and PT eval. They will be coming to my house for the next 4 weeks.

Melissa

mbeckoff
02-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I have been home now for more than a week and I really do not know what to say except that I am tired of being in pain and tired of not being able to do what I want.
I do not want to become a whiner but this is not living. Also, I got another court notice from my brother's lawyer asking for more information . He has been suing me for over 5 years.

Thanks for listening

Melissa

jrnyc
02-07-2011, 11:10 AM
am sending you private message, Melissa

jess

mgs
02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I hear you, Melissa, when you say this isn't living. No one thinks youre whining - you're hanging in there in a most valiant way. Unrelenting pain is just so unbelievably hard. Not knowing how long it will last doesn't help matters. I can't imagine trying to deal w/a legal problem on top of it. Today, I'm starting to gather the docs I need for the accountant to do our taxes. Usually, it's a job I can be accomplish in fairly short order, BUT, throw pain into the mix, and it takes so much longer. It's harder to keep my brain on task, and to think about what I need and where it is, then get it and put it on the table, etc. . .all the little things that now aren't so little. I'm guessing it's physically tough for you, too, to do paperwork? Not to mention the emotion of it. . .

We're all rooting for you!!

Doodles
02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Melissa--
We're still here for you & no, it's not whining. Pain effects everything & is exhausting. It makes it incredibly difficult to move from day to day. I wish I had something wise to offer. I'm so sorry things haven't gotten any easier for you. Praying for better days for you. Janet

JenniferG
02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Whining - never! Pain sucks the life out of you. I just feel sick that this second surgery hasn't helped so far. Having legal action hanging over you will not be helping. Can you get a doctor to write a testament that you are unable to deal with this at the current time?

We are all waiting to hear how you're doing Melissa, so please don't feel you're whining and stop writing. I can only say you've suffered far more than I think is decent in this day and age and am pretty shocked that your pain is not being managed, one way or another.

jrnyc
02-07-2011, 05:26 PM
ditto!
i wish i could at least try bringing you to my pain doc in Manhattan...
he seems to see pain as a personal affront that he is supposed to attack with all possible weapons...

that is the kind of pain doctor i think you need, Melissa...
and a surgeon with the same kind of attitude!

hoping you start feeling better soon!
jess

golfnut
02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Melissa.
You have certainly had way more than your share of problems and pain. I hope this is the end and you can live your life without pain.

Elisa
02-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I've lived a virtually pain-free life so far (childbirth doesn't count imo) but a few years ago when we bought this house in Campbell River, it needed a LOT of work before we could even move in. I went nuts stripping wallpaper with a steamer, helped hubby paint, raked the yard until my left arm ached and a whole lot of other stuff too.

Suddenly my left shoulder started hurting one day and it just got worse and worse and it swelled up and I couldn't move it and it throbbed like hell nonstop 24-7. I went to the walk-in clinic in a sling and explained to the doctor what had been going on and he prescribed percoset (sp?) I believe and it didn't seem to do much of anything.

Finally after two weeks of sleeping sitting up or slumped over in my bed I broke down and went to emergency. I was exhausted from not sleeping and I couldn't take the pain and lack of sleep anymore and broke down in the hospital. The doctor told me: "pain will ALWAYS win out over anything, even sleep" and he gave me a shot in the butt and a prescription for something stronger (don't know what it was but it helped) and from then on I was on the mend. Since then I've never underestimated the power of pain and how absolutely miserable, frustrated and helpless it can make you feel.

Whine all you want Melissa. Pain sucks!

titaniumed
02-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Melissa

So sorry about this never ending pain you have endured. There will be a point when it will all resolve.

There is no way you can make any legal decisions while on opoids. If you e-mail your x-rays and your surgery dates, it should put up a stop sign. You have had extreme surgery, any court will understand.

Hope you feel better soon.
Ed

Confusedmom
02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Melissa,

Thinking about you, praying for you! Hoping this is post-surgical pain that will go away and you will feel better!! (Wondering if you should think about seeing a different doctor!)

Evelyn

mbeckoff
02-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks Ed for the advice and thanks everyone else for their prayers and concerns.
I am going to see my surgeon today for the first time after leaving the hospital. I had a really horrible day yesterday.I was so depressed that the entire morning all I did was cry and I really could not think of why. All I did was think about my parents and other friends and relatives that are no longer here with me. And then in the afternoon I got treated by having both OT and PT come over to the house.They keep telling me that I am making progress but I really do not see it.

I will report back later when I return from the doctor

Melissa

debbei
02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Melissa,

you are NOT whining and even if you were, who better to whine to than people who understand? ((Hugs))

I understand how could get down in the dumps, but try not to stay there. If the therapists see improvements, there must be some. It's hard to see in ourselves sometimes.

Take care and more ((Hugs)).

mbeckoff
02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Well, I saw my surgeon yesterday and I found out what really went on. After my Thursday morning surgery and having been moved to my room, the nurse called him and told him that my left arm was not working and he ordered the MRI. He was on his way home when he was discussing the MRI of my hand with another surgeon still at the hospital. He turned around and came back to the hospital after telling his wife he was not going to be home anytime soon. He had a group discussion with other neuro -surgeons about what to do . Some wanted to pump me up with steroids and wait and see and others voted for surgery.Well, he told me that it was good that he did the surgery Thursday night because there was as good chance that I would have been permanently paralyzed if he had waited until Friday morning. Like the congresswoman's head , her doctor removed a piece of her skull so that her brain had some where to go when it was swollen. If he had not gone back and removed the bone when he did my spinal cord would not have any where to go as it was swollen. We talked about my pain and he still feels that with what my body went thru the past 9 months, my pain level is not bad. I am getting alone better with having PT and OT in the house. So that is my tale. He wants to see me in 4 weeks. I do feel better just knowing that my body is still healing from both surgeries and it will take a while to feel up to par,

Doodles
02-10-2011, 01:38 PM
OMG, Melissa, you were so fortunate he did the surgery. This has been a scary time for you--and extremely painful to say the least. At least you know why it was so awful. I certainly hope this is going to get better and better for you now! Janet

mbeckoff
02-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the good wishes. Yesterday I did too much and I am paying for it today. I had both PT,OT and then my DD started baking yeast items and needed me to knead them as she has issues and doesn't knead. Today I am paying for it. I am going to three doctor appts today , not for me, my son . My friend is driving me. Even though my surgeon gave me the OK to drive, since it will be a whole day outing I did not feel up to it.

Melissa

mbeckoff
02-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Well, my home OT and PT have ended. Now I have to wait and see if my surgeon wants me to go to out patient . With my back surgery, he did not.
I am not happy with my progress. I still am walking with my cane and dropping items with my left hand

Melissa

debbei
02-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the good wishes. Yesterday I did too much and I am paying for it today. I had both PT,OT and then my DD started baking yeast items and needed me to knead them as she has issues and doesn't knead. Today I am paying for it. I am going to three doctor appts today , not for me, my son . My friend is driving me. Even though my surgeon gave me the OK to drive, since it will be a whole day outing I did not feel up to it.

Melissa

Oh no!! Kneading is really hard after these surgeries! I can do it now, 2 years later without problems, but I'd say the first year was very tough, and I avoided it. I LOVE my Kitchen Aid for that reason!!

mbeckoff
02-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh no!! Kneading is really hard after these surgeries! I can do it now, 2 years later without problems, but I'd say the first year was very tough, and I avoided it. I LOVE my Kitchen Aid for that reason!!

I found that out the hard way

Melissa