I have a small hard lump next to my incision with pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a small hard lump next to my incision with pain

I am 8 weeks post op, having had thorasic spinal fusion for thorasic curve of 47 degrees and lumbar 38 degrees. At about 6 weeks post op, I started having additional pain inside my body and out and felt that area to find a pointed hard bump protruding. I panicked ( ok, freaked ) of course thinking it was a screw that had popped out. Went to ER and they THOUGHT it appeared to be a abcess suture that had surfaced.2 dr's didnt appear too sure. They said see your physician and gave me a presc for an antibiotic should I get a fever, which I didnt have. Saw my surgeon and he said thats what it looked like, but with all my new pain he did an MRI. Says it's "really nothing", it will go away. It is hard, feels attached a bone or muscle and is the most awful gross feeling if touched. Anyone have something like this? It doesnt FEEL like it will "absorb" like the nurse explained it should do over the phone to me. Any input appreciated.

Hi Leanne, you said any input and you have not gotten responses so I thought I'd respond as what you describe sounds familiar (but may be COMPLETELY different!). I have not had fusion or surgery but I did have an accident about 4 months ago. I suffered crush-type trauma to a couple areas of my body. After about one month or so, I started getting some small hard lumps (pea to lima bean size) in those areas of muscle. They are very sensitive and painful. I have never gotten a clear answer ("it's nothing," sounds familiar!) but I think the gist is that it may be scar tissue or small clots of dried blood (internal). I have NO idea if something like this might be a side effect of surgery, which is traumatic to the body in its own way. Hope you find an answer.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

to mamandrcm and others

Thanks for your reply and your help and your experience. I will probably never know what it is by the sounds of it.. I need a new Dr. I do know that. If anyone has a Dr they can recommend in the Minneapolis area to switch my follow up care to since my spinal fusion with instrumentation, please, let me know.

Comment

Hi Leanne, I also had a lump with pain near my incision after my surgery. I believe it was from the drain that was inserted for a few days after surgery. I'm almost 5 months post op and it's not there anymore, but it hung around for a while. Also, about your question for a new doc., if you start a new thread about it you'll almost definately get more responses. Good luck! Debra
        Debra
        Age 45
        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
        Fused T4-T12
        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I will start a thread, thank you. This all new to me here and I'm learning. It takes me like 20 minutes to find how to post a new thread on this website. I noticed everyone has their info regarding surgery, age and curvature etc on their postings. How do I add that automatically ? Is there an area to do this so it shows up on each post? I looked under edit profile and dint find it there.
          On the bump I have, I dont know if it is from the tube. Mine is upper spine between scapula just to the right of my incision very close to it. it is a very hard pointy bump and is painful. The MRI didnt show it at all my Dr said so he said its not hardware. he has never identified WHAT it is exactly though.. He said, it should go away eventually..

Comment

Working...
          X