PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to use NSAIDS ( Anti-inflamitories ) after Scoliosis surgery?

leannebr
01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I am 9 weeks post op. I had a 47 degree thorasic curve and a 38 degree lumbar curve. I am 50 years old. I has posterior thorasic surgery. My surgereon prescribed an NSAID anti-inflamitory for me due to new pain, pain worsening now. I have heard now and read others saying that their surgeons/ Dr's will not prescribe NSAID's because it interferes with the fusion process of the bones. Can someone tell me the accuracy of this ? I have researched online and find the answer somewhat controversial. Thank you.

Singer
01-12-2011, 07:48 AM
I was told to NOT take NSAIDS until I was around 9 months post-op and even now I take them sparingly. I was also told they could possibly interfere with the fusion process.

mbeckoff
01-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I was told not to take them until my doctor gave me the OK to do so. It was about 6 months post op

Melissa

loves to skate
01-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Nine months for me.
Sally

First Mate
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I was told that NSAIDS interfered with bone growth and should not be taken. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is not a NSAID and I could take that. My doctor didn't OK NSAIDS until I was one year post-op. I hope you feel better soon!

trulyaries
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Not allowed for me either, both before and after surgeries. I think I was allowed at about 3-4 months. It's tough for me because I have some osteoarthritis and Tylenol is totally useless for me.

debbei
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM
9 months for me too.

JenM
01-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I was prescribed them at 4 1/2 months post surgery due to new pain. My surgeon and local orthopedic said it was ok. It is a very controversial topic among doctors but I trust my surgeon.

titaniumed
01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I took Celebrex and Bextra for 9 months before my surgeries. Although they did work well for sciatica pain, they are tough on the body......I never took them after my surgeries.

When taking meds, always read the fine print. After reading the fine print, you will then realize that there is usually an element of risk, and they then become temporary.... At least thatís the way I feel about it.

Safe as milk? Hmmm......
Ed

LisaB
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm 4 1/2 months post op and still can only take Tylenol; no aspirin, Advil or other NAISD's.

Heidiv2
01-13-2011, 10:33 AM
I was told no NSAIDS for at least 6 mos due to slowing the fusion.

leannebr
01-22-2011, 08:16 PM
My Dr actually prescribed the NSAID anti-inflamatory for me for pain at 6 weeks post op..! All Ive heard about NSAIDS is not to take it, it prevents fusion. I am really frustrated.. I have alot of pain still at 10 1/2 weeks post op.I feel weird like movement feelings in my spine where the rods are in some areas. Thats what it FEELS like but I have no answers. My Dr said my MRI showed "no loose hardware." I have sacks of fluid that have developed now on my elbows and they hurt.I am told it's probably Bursitis by my family physician. I wondered if thats what I feel in my spine, more of these fluid sacks ? I also have a hard pointy growth that is painful and stings,for the last 5 weeks now. I was told it "could be a suture that has surfaced". But it also didnt show on the MRI. :(

mgs
01-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Wait! You had an MRI AFTER your fusion surgery, with the hardware in???? Maybe you mean a CT scan?

JamieAnn
01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I also had the "movement" feelings and I think that is just your muscles coming back. It gets better with each week.

I was told I could get MRI's after surgery - is that not true?

jrnyc
01-23-2011, 11:00 AM
MRI uses no Xrays...
and are listed as safe after metal implants are in a human body...from any type of surgery...
i would think that is what a surgeon would tell you....

jess

hdugger
01-23-2011, 11:13 AM
MRIs are safe. The problem is that, after surgery, the hardware tends to make the MRI harder to read. I think the metal distorts the image in some ways. But I do still see people getting MRIs after surgery.

kennedy
01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
well My doctor here at uc davis said that after 6 months postop it should be fine

mgs
01-23-2011, 02:50 PM
I somehow was under the impression that an MRI of the area your spine where the hardware is, would not be as helpful because the metal blurs the view. But, a quick google search tells me that that's not an issue w/titanium. oops!

leannebr
01-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I did have an MRI. If, it in fact distorts the results with the metal then maybe thats why the issues ( lump ) or other didnt show up. At any rate, I need a 2nd opinion and I dont know where to turn. Does anyone have a Scoliosis surgeon for adults they recommend in Minnesota ? Doesnt have to be in Mpls or Saint Paul but I am an hour from there. I need a Dr that cares after the surgery what happens to the patient.

Thanks everyone for the input. it helps alot to hear from you.