PDA

View Full Version : Poll

Silver
11-13-2003, 07:15 PM
My doctor gave me the option of either taking bone from my pelvis, or bone from donors. What is yall's experience?

brian86
11-13-2003, 09:20 PM
donor is better because its one less scar and one less pain in your butt.

Lisa
11-19-2003, 10:54 PM
My doctor never gave me the option, he just said that I had to have a donor's bone. There was another girl in the next room from me who had the same surgery as me on the same day but she had the bone taken from her hip. She said that her hip was hurting her as much as her back was hurting her.

Karen Ocker
11-20-2003, 08:23 PM
The scoliosis literature on surgery recommends the patient's own bone as the "gold standard" for a more successful fusion result.

I had a anterior/posterior revision last year; they used bone from 2 of my ribs and also bone from the thoracoplasty (hump reduction). I had such abig hump they had a field day getting bone. I still needed some bone from the bone bank though because I had such a large procedure.
Karen

SandyC
11-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi,
I have had both donor and autologous bone. I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones...when they used bone from my hip, it really didn't bother me as far as pain. I might add that I have had Harrington/Harrington Removal/A&P surgery to T4-S1. Of course not all at the same time......over the years!
Sandy

ellen
12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
i never had a choice, my doctor just said they would use my rib.
ellen

Mandy'04
01-19-2004, 09:47 PM
i had the option too and at first i thought it was gross getting a bone from someone elses body :eek:, but i picked doner cause i figured its it would hurt where they took the other bone from on top of the back pain caused from surery and it is one less scar.
THats just my opinion.

Alleycat
02-12-2004, 04:12 PM
I wasn't given the option. It was femor all the way. Its another scar and it causes some problems for me. When they took the bone they had to rip muscles from and those muscles have never fully grown back even though I had surgery almost three years ago. It also makes learning to run a living hell. I was a all-state first team track star before my surgery and now I'm hardly the fastest player on my soccer team. But I'm working back to that point and I think I'll get back there someday. But I would have choose donar any day! -Ali

Slugsgirl
02-12-2004, 09:51 PM
When I had my surgery they took bone from the top of my spine since my curve is more towards the bottom. I was never given the option of donor though if I had been given the option I would have stuck with my own because there are less *after* problems with that. It's a sure guarantee that your own bone will always work.

dancer
02-26-2004, 11:54 PM
I am new to this site and I'm glad to be able to be a part of it. I had surgery in 1994 and had bone taken from my pelvis for my fusion. I was not given the option of donor bone. I really suggest taking advantage of the donor bone if possible. I am coming on 10 years post surgery and the only pain that I have ever had is from where they took the bone. After healing in the pelvis, scar tissue develops and it can be very painful. I hope I helped!

racin2win
03-01-2004, 06:06 PM
I am really surprised ya'll got the option of receiving from a bone donor. From my experiences of talking to others, bone was taken from either their hip or rib. Mine was taken from my rib. It a lot of days was sorer than my back b/c I've literally got rib missing now on my right side, but it will all grow back. Another reason though my side was sore, was because on the same day, before the actual fusion was done, there was another orthopaedic that made 3 incisions under my right arm and down my side b/c he removed 8 discs, so that I would be more flexible and they could operate on me more efficiently. But yes, my bone was taken from my rib.

lisanicole
03-02-2004, 08:36 PM
I never even knew that anyone was given a choice on where the grafting for the fusion would come from. I got mine from my own hip, as well as my own blood for the transfusions. I dont have an additional scar where they grafted, they just stretched my skin until they could reach my hip. Where is the second scar (other than the big one right down the spine) on the people who had bone grafted from their pelvis or hip???

Thanks
lisanicole :D

KELLIE ROSE
03-29-2004, 09:08 PM
BONE BANK... i highly recommend it... it is not from a donor, someone does not donate their bone... it is simulated bone that fuses better and quicker than bone from your hip ior wherever else they might get it... I did not have the option, i was lucky enough to have it done at a place that only uses bone banks... Just think, the less surgery and trama your body goes through, the better... why risk more nerve damage... your body needs all the strength it can get to heal the fusion...

Good Luck!!!

Kellie

dapsbounce8
03-31-2004, 03:22 AM
Whats all this bone talk? I didn't have a donor or my own bone. There was no bone involved. My mom had that sort of thing when she had her surgery thirty years ago, but I thought the surgery had advanced past needing a bone by now. I thought they just rotated the torso and implanted the rod. Would someone explain all this to me?

Peggy
03-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Our surgeon explained that they take bone from the ribs removed and will fuse the vertebrae using these bone grafts. The bone grows on to the vertebrae and this is how the fusion occurs. The rods align the spine so it grows straight. Sometimes they take the grafts from the hip or from a donor cadaver bank.
Hope that helps some.

dapsbounce8
03-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Hmmmm...I wonder what I had done? Is it possible that I didn't need a bone graft? Maybe my doctor just automatically took it from the donor bank and didn't mention it to me. Very puzzling...

paulasue2
04-01-2004, 01:34 AM
My daughter had donor bone. I believe it is sterilized cadaver bone (sorry to gross anyone out). Our surgeon didn't present it as an option, and because I had never read about anyone having trouble with it, it seemed like a good idea to me. She wasn't having any ribs removed and would have had to have her hip bone harvested. My understanding of this is that they use the bone material in the spaces previously occupied by the discs, which are removed in the fusion area, and this bone material facilitates new bone growth between the vertebrae. There are studies on this subject published in PubMed at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.hih.gov