Help with kyphosis degree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with kyphosis degree?

Hi everyone! This is my x-ray from when I met with Dr. Boachie at the HSS.

There are many angle measurements on this x-ray that they did..but what is my kyphosis degree? I am not sure if it is the 70 degree or the higher..84 one? You be the judge. You can also see how low my curve is on my spine.. thanks for the help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ColdBricks; 01-11-2011, 11:26 AM.

Wow, those are alot of angles

The only thing that I can figure out is that the 84 degree one measures to the top of the back, while the 70 degree one measures a little lower, but I can't make any sense of that information.

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
      Wow, those are alot of angles

The only thing that I can figure out is that the 84 degree one measures to the top of the back, while the 70 degree one measures a little lower, but I can't make any sense of that information.
      Yeah.

They are both kyphosis degrees, just one is all the way up. I was curious if anyone knows which is the 'standard' way to measure? I believe I would say I have a 70 degree curve

Comment

Yeah, your curve is pretty low on the back. I kinda wish mine was lower like yours. I know you'd have a much less chance of the forward neck thing going on post op due to the fact that you don't have the usual kypho in the lower T's (T1, T2, T3..)
        Age 25 male
        Upstate NY
        T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
        Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
        Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

In adults, thoracic kyphosis is measured from the top of T2 to the bottom of T12. It's hard to know which measurement is which, but I think your number is 102.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yeah. The angles in the parenthesis are just the supplementary angles of the measured angles..against the plumb line..which you can see they added in too.

So, my curve is actually 70 degrees, and my apex is T11. I looked at my report. Interesting!

And Ryy, yes...

Boachie said that the top and bottom of my spine are 'perfect', in his words. He said the only problem are those 4 vertebrae...which I believe are T9-T12...so I am definetly lucky compared to other kyphosis problems Ive seen...Dr. Boachie will move my apex up to around T7/T8..which is more normal..behind my arms. He will also reduce my curve to 40-50 degrees..so between that, looks like it will make a hell of a difference. he said that by not overcorrecting it will help against the junctional problems..not to mention you can see that my neck is fine
            Last edited by ColdBricks; 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X