Starting over.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting over.....

Hey guys...been a while since ive been on these forums. just felt like i needed a break from everything for a while after the debacle in st. louis.....but ive been in some pretty significant pain again here lately and figured its time i find a new surgeon. oh yeah, within the past few months, i was put on methadone for pain, because i was taking around 10 or so 10mg percosets every day. i thought methadone was for heroin addicts, and apparently it is used for that as well as for pain. anyway i was just looking around online here for different surgeons and came across a place called the center for scoliosis and spinal surgery in greenville, NC. looks like theres 3 docs there; Ira Hardy, Scot Reeg, and Kurt Voos. anyone here have any experience with this place? I also just requested an appt. with Dr. Chris Dewald in Chicago.....
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Hi Mike,

Taking a break sounds like it was a good idea.

I don't see any of the three NC surgeons on the SRS list. Your case is probably complicated enough that you need someone with a huge amount of scoliosis experience - that's probably one of the people on the SRS list.

Comment

Hi Mike,
      I agree with hdugger, your case is very unusual so I would think you would be best off if you went to an SRS surgeon experienced with unusual cases such as yours. What about Doctor Gupta. I heard him speak at DuPew in the Boston area last spring and was very impressed. Others on this forum have used him with good outcomes. I copied this from the SRS website. Sally
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Purnendu Gupta, MD
      University of Chicago
      5841 S. Maryland Avenue, MC 3079
      Chicago, IL 60637
      Phone: (773) 702-6213 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************(773) 702-6213******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (773) 702-6213 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
      Fax: (773) 702-0076
      Specialties: Adolescent, Adult Scoliosis, Juvenile/Infantile, Degenerative Conditions
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

hey Mike
        glad you are back..but sorry you need to be..

i agree that you need the most experienced scoli spinal expert surgeon you can find...certain cases seem simple and straight forward...but yours does not...
        that is just the opinion of a scoli person with no medical experience...but it makes sense...

really hope you find the right guy for the job needed!
        wonder if you could go see TiEd's guy for a consult?

best regards..
        jess

Comment

Hi Mike,

Its good that you took the breather.....If at first you don’t succeed, try try again.

Logistics for surgery usually starts with insurance....Usually, insurance companies want you to stick around. I don’t know what your insurance “status” is right now....Did a local GP dictate to your ins co that you needed to go the St Louis? Do they know what happened in September?

Would you be able to pick “any” surgeon? Do you have that green light?

I’m not sure about the “new” insurance laws that involve “traveling or out of state” The laws have changed.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...