Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Tomorrow...

Well, here we go!

I'd be lying if I said I was completely at ease, and not worried. But I do have this strange sense of calm and acceptance. The hardest part will be wheeling me away from my wonderful husband. He has been so supportive and doing everything he can think of to make my recovery easier. He held me and cried today. He is so worried... We are still newlyweds ( a year and a half) , and being older, we appreciate every day we have together, especially since it has taken us 50 years to find each other! Getting this done and over with will be such a relief for him...

Surgery is always such a scary thing. But I know it will all be fine and I will be moving on to another stage of my life. I look forward to getting back to the old me, the one that Andy never knew. The one who had more energy. Able to be more spontaneous and do more than sit around after work with a heating pad and meds. I know I won't be 20 again, but I do believe I will be able to do much more than I do now.

I cannot express how much you all have meant to me. You have patiently answered my questions and listened to me vent, strengthened my resolve, given me courage, and been there for me like no one could be that doesn't understand what we go through. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!! I will post as soon as I'm able. Amy (foofer) will post any info she sees from my hubbies facebook page. I can't wait to talk to you all and let you know how it went, from the other side.....

Jenee'
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Jenee good luck tommrrow
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Jenee

You have that sense of calm because you know your next, and there is no backing out now. We waited many many years for this, its our destiny I guess. I will never forget that morning checking in to the hospital. I started out, downstairs, IV was hooked up, and waited. Then they rolled me up to the operating room staging area. There were a few others, not too many....You look, and wonder, what are they having done? My vascular surgeon came in and he asked me if I was nervous, and I said yes. He then inserted another IV in the top of my wrist in 1.6 seconds flat, gave me something to calm me down, and that was it. I woke up about a week later, or at least my brain woke up. I wondered what happened? I was standing by my bed, but didn’t realize it. By the time my brain was back to normal from all the meds, I was already a pro at standing and ready for hallway races!

Its going to hurt, you know that....You will adapt and start your healing process. It feels strange with your new frame. Everything has been moved, and you feel so delicate, afraid to move. You move, and realize that you can now do that. You realize that you can stand. Some things hurt, and its all so new. You learn to adapt to this new body, and that’s it. The first few weeks are tough, and then it gets easier as you go.

Are you ready? You bet! Don’t ever look back. Eyes on the prize, as Sharon says.
      C u on the other side.
      Try to smile!
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

You'll do great Jenee'. You have plenty of support which is the ideal, you know you don't have to worry about a thing. You have a great doctor, you know what's ahead. We often hear the worst of it here, but it's not always that bad. Hopefully you'll travel a smooth road and a few weeks or months down the track, you'll say, "It wasn't that bad."

Thinking of you. Glad you've found that strange sense of calm. I did too, and as I expected, those last hours and minutes before surgery were ok.

Looking forward to seeing you on the other side!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am so amazed at how so many of you folks have had your surgeries years ago and are still on here, encouraging others. You guys rock!! Thanks again.
          Ed, you always know just what to say, say it with honesty and no sugar coating. I love it. I like realism. You are like my scarecrow. Remember Dorothy's gang??? I'm going to click my red shoes three times, say "there is no place like home", and hurry up and get well and go HOME where I can be back in contact with my forum friends. I truly hope I have it in me to continue on this site and help others like all of you have helped me.
          See you on the other side!
          Jenee'-52
          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
          9 hours
          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
          Non-fusion
          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Jenee--
            Very, very best of luck to you! I hope they let you wear those red shoes! It will be great to hear from you on the other side. I had that sense of calm too--it was strange. Thinking of you and your husband tomorrow. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
            X