Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fentanyl

Does anyone use this for pain?
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Pilar

I have not, but some have.... That’s some strong stuff....

Are you still in the hospital? Any developments yet?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

i used to...didn't like it...for a while it was off market due to deficiencies...then back on market...

it wasn't working for me...too much "break thru pain"...
      low dose of fentanyl patch did nothing, higher dose gave me breathing problems...so it just wasn't worth the bother...
      that was my experience with it...

jess

Comment

Yes, still in the hospital...
        I have the larger dose of this medicine and it makes me sleepy and not really helps for the pain. It is weird cause iy is suppose to be stronger than morphine...
        When I was taking oxycontin, I believe, my pain was more under control.
        I don't know they still can't figure out my pain and balance that with medicine that would not hurt my stomach and intestines.
        I have been here over a week, I just want to go home and to start my recovery. In terms of bowel movements, I am going every day with the help of suppositories. Not by myself...
        Now age 32
        Dr. Robert Pashman
        Before and after xrays :

Comment

hi Pilar
          i am so sorry that you are suffering in pain after your surgery and the meds they are giving you are not doing enough for you...

i am not surprised with the fentanyl (sp?), as it was the same for me...i haven't had surgery (yet), but was giving fentanyl patches for pain...stopped using them when it did the same to me that it is doing to you...

i hope you can simply tell them what medication works for you...or has in the past...and request that your doctor order that...i hope you can speak to your surgeon personally so he hears it from you...maybe they were thinking that if you were on a pain patch, it would bypass your stomach and so not bother you as much...

perhaps if they get the pain meds right you can be comfortable enough to continue your recovery at home...
          wishing you a rapid and steady recovery and an end to stomach problems!

jess

Comment

I know someone who is on fentanyl and swears by it. I did some research and its suppose to be in the same category as morphine so i decided i wouldn't ask the dr. about it.

She did say it took a while to get the dosage right. I think she changes her patch 3 times a week.

Comment

it comes in doses of increasing strength...i never got to the highest dose...i didn't like the stuff...
              i repeat...i don't care what anyone says about it being as strong as morphine, etc..i did not like the stuff...it didn't kill the pain, made me dizzy, and wasn't worth the effort..plus, in the old days, it messed with my breathing until they fixed the "leaking" problem! i took so much "break thru pain meds" it wasn't worth continuing the fentanyl!

no one can tell til they try the stuff..
              and i have morphine pills...took them twice, they made me throw up twice, i can't take morphine...i CAN take fentanyl..just don't like it..
              i once was given nasal spray morphine...that made my stomach sick, too!

you have all my sympathy, Pilar!
              i hope you can tell the surgeon what you need to fix your pain!

jess

Comment

Fentanyl Patches

I did take Fentanyl patches for a period of time after my first surgery. The dosage was 25mg. I changed the patch every 3 days. It worked well for me although I had night sweats that I didn't realize were caused by the patches until I went off of them. I thought I was going through menopause really bad. The night sweats stopped when I stopped the patch though. I was only on the patch for about 3 months until my pain got under control.
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Naptown78,
                  did you take another pills for breakthrough pain? Or only the patch?
                  Now age 32
                  Dr. Robert Pashman
                  Before and after xrays :

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    Naptown78,
                    did you take another pills for breakthrough pain? Or only the patch?
                    Pilar,
                    I had Percocet for breakthrough pain but wasn't needing to take it much because the Fentanyl smoothed out the pain for me. Everyone is different in how they tolerate different pain meds so what worked for me may not work for someone else. I hope you can get your situation worked out soon ;-)
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                    X