Stitches or Staples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitches or Staples?

Hello...hope everyone is doing fine. I have a question for all of you. When the posterior incision is closed...do they close it with stitches or staples? How long do they stay in before they remove them?
    Just another concern that I had
    Thanks everyone.

Kim
    Keri's mom

Hi,
    My dad had scoliosis surgery and know I am. I was wondering that too. My dad had staples in his back, but I am not sure how long he had them in.Things have changed since he had surgery though actually a lot has changed. I am going to check the internet to see if I can find out anywhere.
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Hey Kim,

My posterior incision was closed with stitches. They took them out at my two week checkup in the doctor's office. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks so I guess you can say at a month. My anterior incision was closed with staples. They took those out when I was leaving the hospital. The hip incision for the bone graft was interior stitches. I think every doctor is different on this and I also think it might depend on the length of the incision. I know someone who had interior stitches on the posterior incision. Probably your best bet is to ask your doctor. Hope this helps. Theresa
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

My daughter, Amber, had a posterior fusion T4 to L4 six months ago. Her incision was closed with one very long internal stitch, which dissolved on it's own.
        Cheryl.

Comment

Hi,

I had spinal fusion with staples. They were removed at 2 weeks post op.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Hi Kim...

I had internal stitches and steri-strips on my posterior incision. They steri-strips came off on their own within 2 weeks of the surgery.

It seems that each surgeon has a preference, which sometimes varies (I've known patients of the same surgeon who had different closures).

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I also had internal stitches, supported by steri strips...

I unfortunately developed infection in a couple of the stitches at the top, and had some abscessing, necessitating four of the stitches being removed.

I was a little allergic to the steri strips, so itched them off within a week... Also, sweated them off using the exercise bike.
              Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
              Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
              Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
              Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
              February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
              September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Amber's doctor said that would depend on how he was feeling (tiredness etc..) after the surgery on how he would close her up. That's part of the reason why patients with the same doctor may have different types of 'stitches'.
                Cheryl.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input....I will definately ask our doctor during her preop appointment what his usual closure preferences are.

Kim

Comment

I had internal stitches and what I guess were steri-strips (I thought that they were just tape or something). At my three-week postop, the tape was taken off and my doctor trimmed the ends of the stitches that stuck out.
                    -Lili
                    formerly:
                    50* upper curve
                    29* lower curve

surgery was October 25- doing great!

Comment

stitches

Hi,
                      I had sutures and some type of surgical tape (clear). Hardly any scarring at the top. Although after gaining weight, the bottom stretched out a bit and was more noticable. I have seen other people and they had staples. This I think is the doctors choice. Discuss this before surgery. I think it is a matter worth setting your own preference. If he isnt willing to do anything else beside staples (which is so retro) find out why. Nowadays even C-Section are sutures.
                      Diagnosed 11 at school screening, surgery 16.
                      Had Harrington rods w/fusions.
                      Luque-thorasic.
                      Full term pregnancies,no major issues.sciatica with the first. Epidurals with C-sections
                      2005:lumbar reconstruction, 2 plates, 6 screws in sacrum, and 2 cages with my own bone.
                      2007: cervical surgery to correct 4 bulging discs, two fusions with cages using cadaver bone.
                      Both of my daughters have scoliosis. Both were diagnosed by 7.
                      http://spinedoctors.md/ Dr, Jospeh Flynn Jr

Comment

Hi Kim,

Just a thought. A lot of people are extremely allergic to the adhesive in steri-strips. If you can, ask your doctor to apply a couple of steri-strips to Keri several weeks prior to surgery, and see if they bother her. That way you'll know in advance if they're going to be a problem.

Susanna
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~
                        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Susanna- that's a good idea!

I am allergic to some adhesives. Not really bad or an immediate reaction.... I just get itchy and if they stay on a long time (we're taking several days) it's not uncommon for the skin underneath to blister. I have a permanent scar on my inner thigh from where my catheter was taped to my leg.
                          I ended up itching a lot of my steristrips off right out of the hospital, and that might have aided the top of my scar in opening, I'm willing to bet, though it was a little infected to start off.

If you think she might be sensitive to the adhesives at all, it's a good idea to check.
                          Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                          Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                          Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                          Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                          February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                          September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Kim,

The couple of times I had steri-strips my skin blistered, and I was miserable, so if the doc could apply a few strips to Keri a few weeks before surgery, she can see if she's sensitive. No sense in having a a raw itchy back in addition to major surgery.

After mentioning my allergy, my doc used "crazy glue" the last time to close my incision in addition to internal stitches, and it made such a difference! No raw weeping sores to make my life even more uncomfortable!

It's our job to look out for our kids, and stuff like this seems small, but it can make SUCH a big difference in our child's quality of life while they heal. Do EVERYTING to be your childs advocate. Everything detail is important.

Susanna
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~
                            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thank you for you replies. I don't believe that she is allergic to any adhesives but it is something to check into.
                              We are still waiting for our surgery date. I'll let everyone know when we get it.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X