New complications 4 days prior to surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New complications 4 days prior to surgery

Alright, my friends. I need your help and encouragement. I've always been known as a Pollyanna... but these last couple days have been hard.

My surgery is Monday, and I had my preop yesterday. I had bend films done a little over a year ago. My doc was very pleased with the flexibility of my spine, and was confident of a good correction. I postponed surgery for a year, due to financial reasons and life being hectic at that particular time. I had a wedding planned to a wonderful new husband and we moved due to his job transfer to a different community. We had two house payments because of it. I didn't want to have surgery until we sold the old house. I also was stuck with a lot of debt that my ex left me when he quit paying his bills that my name was still attached to. So I waited a year until all that was straightened out and I could afford to be off work long term.

I shouldn't have waited...

Now, I have shrunk 3" in the past year, and my curve progression has been swift. My new bend films taken yesterday were not good news. It showed lumbar correction from 70+ degrees to approximately 58 degrees. Not nearly the flexibility I had just over a year ago, before my shrinkage. I have a lot of arthritis and spurs in there, too. I also have to have pelvic fixation now. Due to lack of flexibility, my rib hump will not be decreased as much as we hoped. So I was given the option of thorcoplasty. This has really thrown me for a loop. So much to digest with surgery only 4 days away... I was really prepared and psyched up for the pain and recovery, with the benefit down the road of a straighten body and a missing rib hump. (Or mostly so- I AM realistic.) Now my mind is like a hamster in a wheel...it won't stop analyzing, wondering, regretting, finding ways to think positive. It needs to just be quiet!!

Lesson learned- If you are having pain issues and thinking of surgery. Don't put it off too long! PLEASE monitor your curves. If I had just done it a year ago, it would have been so much better off. That dang hindsight... BUT, looking at the bright side, it will still stop the progression, and not get worse like it has done. I have to stay positive! And my husband and I are the same height, so I probably won't be much taller than him. I thought I might tower over him. So that's one good thing...

My wonderful hubby has been so nervous these last few weeks. But he keeps hugging me, handing me tissues and tells me he loves me, hump and all. I am so lucky. He feels so helpless these last few days, knowing how upset I was with the news, and knowing there isn't much he can do, besides be there for me. He keeps telling me "I'll take care of you, baby."

Well, I feel a little better. I hope I've planted a seed in the heads of anyone on the verge and wondering about waiting versus just going ahead and doing it. You know you will have to have surgery someday, anyway.

Any thoughts/information on thorcoplasty would be appreciated! I hear the recovery isn't too pleasant with the addition of it. But in for a penny, in for a pound, right??? Might as well do it only once, get it over with, and hope for the best possible results. She gave me the option, and we decided that I give her permission to do it or not, depending on what she finds once she is in there. IF there is a good possibility of a lot of correction with it, she can go ahead. If it is only a little correction, we will opt out. I trust she will do whatever is best for me.

Thanks for listenting to the long venting!!!

Jenee'
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

P.S. ... and I will STILL be a ballerina!!!

(see my previous post on "a new perception" if you don't get it....)
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

oh wow. How hard for you! So sorry that you learned this last minute. your poor head must be spinning.

scoliosis is so insidious. it just sneaks up on us, so quietly for a while, and then BAM...

I have no advice, just well wishes for you. I hope you are able to figure everything out before next week!!!
      Rebecca
      Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
      wore night bending brace as teenager
      Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
      herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
      fusion L2-3 November 2008
      Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
      Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
      Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
      gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
      Before and After X-rays
      My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jenee

Your going to be fine.....and I expect to ski with you at some point.

I cannot remember any thorocoplasties on the board here since I’ve been reading...Anyone? Is your surgery still next Monday?

Wow, the statement “I love you with the hump” is such a killer. Anybody got a hanki?What a great guy!

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I would really love to come down there and visit and hit the slopes with you. If only it wouldn't be so darn far away.... Spring skiing next year, spring 2012??? I wouldn't want to hold you up... I have been wanting to take Andy to Tahoe ever since we met.

Ok, that is biggie goal #2 in my book.

Biggie goal #1-Andy bought me tickets to see U2 in Seattle in June, so my goal is to be able to travel, sightsee, sit through a concert, and walk around comfortably 6 months post op.

Yes, surgery is Monday morning. BUT....I woke up this morning with a sore throat, headache, neckache, and congestion. Crap!! We are playing the waiting game to see if we have to postpone it. I really wanted to watch the BCS football championship Monday night, but postponing surgery is a little bit extreme...

I am in much better spirits this evening. I am one of those people that get very emotional when hit with unexpected things. But I am also very analytical too. So once I sit down with the facts and process everything in my head, I'm fine. It felt good to vent, though.

And I'm imagining a ballerina on skiis.... It's a beautiful thing.
          Jenee'-52
          Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
          9 hours
          Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Jenee' sorry to hear the disappointing news. Hindsight is a marvellous thing. Still, it's being done now, not next year, so you're going to get better results than then!

You're well informed and have great support, obviously. You're going to do great. You'll be so glad you did it!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jenee'

I really have felt kinda mad about this, but I guess I have to be a big girl like you and move on! I really wish now that I lived closer, so I could take you out to the longest lunch that ever was.

But...in the end, of course it will all come out in the wash and all will be well. Whether it's Monday, or you have to take a few days off to have the ol' fashioned flu- I'm doing that tomorrow- been sewing with my head about an inch away from sewing machine and just Holding ON until tomorrow when I can cash in a couple sick days. Wah. Okay, how about I have the flu in lieu of YOU!? No need for two to take it on....

Keep in touch and keep up your great attitude. Scoli Ski Olympics 2012- I'm coming...whether it's here there or in between, invited or not. I guarantee I will be in last place...

Hugs.
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Jenee
                I don't know how much help I will be but I'm sorry you're faced with this so close to surgery time. As far as thorcoplasty...I have much more of a rib hump since surgery than I thought I would. It wasn't noticeable so much at first maybe due to swelling but is moreso now. I asked Dr. Lenke about sometime doing thorcoplasty and he said No! Pretty much case closed. I'm sure everyone is different. I think the fact that your surgeon could make the call at the time if she felt there was a chance of better correction is a good one. I know it's a tough one. Glad you are feeling a little better about things. One way or another--rib hump or not--you will have a much better back. Me too. Good luck. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Ugh, sorry about all this Jenee! I had a thoracoplasty, and yes it hurt more than my back. I still have stiffness and tenderness -- I suppose it's scar tissue -- around the rib area, but I wouldn't call it pain any longer -- I just know it's there. In terms of discomfort and recovery time, I hope you don't have the thoracoplasty, but I did manage to get a fantastic correction because of it. So, like most things, it's a trade-off.

Good luck getting it all sorted out and hope you feel better soon!!!
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks again, everyone.

PeachRush, I'm still amazed at how well you did, so soon. You are my inspiration...

Ed, you are full of wisdom and support, as usual. I can't wait to meet you someday...

Jennifer, you are so right. Better to do it now than later! Always a bright side to contemplate. Imagine living with this with no option of surgery like some folks have...

Doodles, my surgeon is very pro non-invasive, unless it comes down to health and quality of life. I know she will do what is best in her opinion. She will only do it if she feels it is worth it. I am even more thankful than before that I have so much trust and faith in her.

Singer, thanks for the first hand information. Yes, I hope the trade off is worth it. I really get aggravated with the feeling of being compressed and having my ribs sitting on my hip bones. It can be so uncomfortable. Especially when driving. I've made up my mind that even if I don't get a lot of correction of the curves, I will be very happy with just getting the ribs off my pelvis and some nerve pain reduction. That alone will increase my quality of life greatly. I won't be greedy!

Amy, I so want to drive out and visit you when this is all done and overwith. I feel such a bond with you. Strange for someone I haven't even met in person. I just have that gut feeling. I'm pretty good at intuition and judging people. Scoli Olympics? Great idea! Lets meet up with Ed. Maybe we can gang up on him. It will take two of us to keep up with the man!!!

I am going to try to attach an article that was written about my doc. Not sure how to do it, so I hope it works. She and her husband have a nonprofit organization that does complicated surgeries on children with scoliosis who have no insurance.

Pediatric team handles rare ailments.doc
                    Jenee'-52
                    Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                    9 hours
                    Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
                      Thanks again, everyone.

PeachRush, I'm still amazed at how well you did, so soon. You are my inspiration...

Ed, you are full of wisdom and support, as usual. I can't wait to meet you someday...

Jennifer, you are so right. Better to do it now than later! Always a bright side to contemplate. Imagine living with this with no option of surgery like some folks have...

Doodles, my surgeon is very pro non-invasive, unless it comes down to health and quality of life. I know she will do what is best in her opinion. She will only do it if she feels it is worth it. I am even more thankful than before that I have so much trust and faith in her.

Singer, thanks for the first hand information. Yes, I hope the trade off is worth it. I really get aggravated with the feeling of being compressed and having my ribs sitting on my hip bones. It can be so uncomfortable. Especially when driving. I've made up my mind that even if I don't get a lot of correction of the curves, I will be very happy with just getting the ribs off my pelvis and some nerve pain reduction. That alone will increase my quality of life greatly. I won't be greedy!

Amy, I so want to drive out and visit you when this is all done and overwith. I feel such a bond with you. Strange for someone I haven't even met in person. I just have that gut feeling. I'm pretty good at intuition and judging people. Scoli Olympics? Great idea! Lets meet up with Ed. Maybe we can gang up on him. It will take two of us to keep up with the man!!!

I am going to try to attach an article that was written about my doc. Not sure how to do it, so I hope it works. She and her husband have a nonprofit organization that does complicated surgeries on children with scoliosis who have no insurance.

[ATTACH]903[/ATTACH]
                      What great doctors they are . Hope all goes well with the surgery. How are you feeling today? Is the surgery still on for Monday?

Melissa

Comment

Yes, I feel better today, so unless I call my Dr. and tell her I have a fever, it is still on.

Thank goodness I have some Zicam left. I've been using it the last couple days. I'm one of those middle of the road people that believe that both mainstream medical and natural remedies have a place in our health care. I believe 100% in some of the natural remedies, but am also cautious of grandiose claims. I was skeptical of Zicam, but my husband, who is a pharmicist, (and is much more mainstream), swears by it, so I tried it. It has worked to stop a cold dead in its tracks everytime. Too bad it was pulled from the market because of people abusing it....

I am in a much better place mentally since my preop Wednesday. I've sorted though everything in my brain, prioritized what I really hope to gain, and look forward to whatever improvements I will have.

I posted the attachment about my doc, because I imagine there are a lot of people out there who may think I should go to someone more well known.

Dr Moore did her fellowship at Twin Cities Spine Center, and was working with some of the best docs out there. She is such a caring, compassionate, and gentle soul. She has a stellar reputation here in Oregon. It is not very often that you never hear any negativity about a doc from patients, nurses, or pharmacists. My husband is in the medical field and I have several nurse friends, and they hear ALL the gossip. And they haven't had anything bad to say about her. So I do feel very confident about her doing my surgery. She specializes in scoliosis, and is not just a general orthopedic. And for OHSU to send patients down to her-that is a pretty good recommedation! She is a great alternative for people in this area that may not have the option of flying to appointments and having surgery so far away.

Again, thanks to eveyone for the concern and help. You have been such an important part of my life, and helped so much with the decisions I've made. I feel so comfortable being armed with all this knowledge you have shared with me. I know what to expect, I have ideas of how to deal with some of the issues and common complications. No one knows more than the people who have gone through it themselves. Medical articles just don't cut it! I can't imagine going into this Monday without all this ammunition. You guys have been lifesavers!
                        Jenee'-52
                        Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                        9 hours
                        Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Jenee'...

Yes, I feel the same. It's a curious thing, yes? Let's put it on the "Make it Happen" list!

Glad you are feeling better. It sounds like you have fully processed the whole challenge and are good to go. Makes me happy.

Have you taught your husband or kids how to get on this forum and post for you, because we need to know! I will be haunting the forum for news and praying all day on Monday. Can't wait to hear.

Blessings to you, girlfriend...
                          Amy
                          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                          Exercising to correct

Comment

Yes, I have left Andy with instructions. He is pretty stressed out worrying about me, so I don't know how long it will take him to post.... He is also going to try to post on my FB and his, so you could go there, too. Maybe you should request him as a friend now, so you can get the news ASAP, and you could post on our forum if he forgets... I think he will be preoccupied with all that is going on. But he is on his FB and posts everyday. He has lots of family and friends waiting and wondering, so I think he will hit FB first....

I hope you are feeling better today!

Talk to you soon...
                            Jenee'-52
                            Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                            9 hours
                            Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Jenee

Have you made a decision on the thoracoplasty?

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X