thoracic fusion feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoracic fusion feedback

I'm seriously thinking about having fusion surgery. Dr. Rand (NEBM) would fuse me from
    T1-T12. I was told (thanks First Mate!) that the thoracic fusion is more rare.

I'm just wondering from those that have had this what the recovery is like....range of motion afterward, etc?

I have an S curve. My top curve is in the 30s and climbing and my lower one is 48 degrees. I'm 30 years old as well.

Thanks for reading!
    Christina

Hi! Back when I was ten years old, I had exactly the same fusion done - T1-T12. It didn't make any noticeable difference to my ability to move, twist etc and didn't limit me or restrict me in any way whatsoever. After I had recovered from the surgery I was able to go straight back into doing school sports, gym etc - all the activities that my classmates were doing.

I hope this is encouraging to hear!

Comment

In terms of scoliosis surgery, thoracic fusions are actually far more common than lumbar fusions. However, in the adult population, lumbar curves are probably more common than lumbar, but definitely not rare.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Christina, I had t4-t12 fused 4 months ago. I feel really good. I feel my flexibility allows me to do everything I did before (that I'm allowed to do - I can't ski this year, or play tennis yet). I feel alot better than I ever thought I could. Though, unlike your curve my bigger curve was the thoracic and smaller (compensating in my case) was the lumber. Just one thing I think to ask is how much will your lower curve correct, and risk of it progressing. Also, I know my lower spine is at increased risk of degeneration. I, too, probably could have had a better correction if I fused the whole thing. But, so far I'm incredibly happy, grateful for my results.

Good luck to you,
        Debra
        Debra
        Age 45
        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
        Fused T4-T12
        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Originally posted by Debra JGL View Post
          Hi Christina, I had t4-t12 fused 4 months ago. I feel really good. I feel my flexibility allows me to do everything I did before (that I'm allowed to do - I can't ski this year, or play tennis yet). I feel alot better than I ever thought I could. Though, unlike your curve my bigger curve was the thoracic and smaller (compensating in my case) was the lumber. Just one thing I think to ask is how much will your lower curve correct, and risk of it progressing. Also, I know my lower spine is at increased risk of degeneration. I, too, probably could have had a better correction if I fused the whole thing. But, so far I'm incredibly happy, grateful for my results.

Good luck to you,
          Debra
          Good ideas. Thanks Debra! What does degeneration mean? I need to ask him what he expects for both of my curves. I'm hoping it'll be substantial.

Comment

i'm fused T2-L1, so pretty close to where you'd be getting fused. as far as limitations go, i notice a bit of lack of mobility when raising my arms and extending my arms back over my head...even almost 2 years post-op. oh, and sometimes it's hard to check my blind spot when driving because i get no range of motion in my upper back. that's about it, though! not bad.

Comment

I am 9 weeks post op, T-2 to T-12 fused. age 50

Hi, I am 9 weeks post op. My thorasic curve was 47 and lumbar was 38 degrees. I am not sure what the curves are now, forgot to ask, but I looked amazingly straight on the x-ray. Seeing the other positive posts, I am praying things change for me. Maybe it's too soon to tell ? Input from others I would appreciate alot. I have had more pain than before as this last month has gone by, my dr has no explaination, said maybe a few bulging discs causing it. But I really dont have the range of motion I had. Looking down especially, I drop everything and my upper back is in extreme pain after a short time of doing usual things because of this. I have alot of pain turning my head to the side as well. I am still in the body brace 24/7 at least until Feb 10th ( at the 3 month mark ) where I will see my Dr. to see if bone is fusing properly. I cant reach without alot of tension/ pain but that is a restriction for "life" according to my booklet from the Dr.I havent had any therapy yet, I guess that will come after the brace can come off. Hopefully it will help. No reaching, twisiting or bending are supposed to be a way of life now.

Comment

Working...
              X